• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington, 11/5/06

thebigo

I hiked and skied killington today. Took the normal route up great northern over to the glades. Skied one run down rime and then another down east glade to racers edge. The manmade snow in the glades and on upper great northern is seriously deep. The lower mountain is a spot couple inches of natural and a ton of mud. I hope they open very soon but they are going to have to get some good temps and seriously crank the guns on lower snowdon first, espcially lower bunny buster.

I would estimate there was 25-50 people on the hill today. Everybody was having a great time but there was one group that seriously risking life changing injury. I only include this to ask people to be smart, if somebody had suffered this kind of injury there would have been no way to get him out of there.

100_1060.jpg

This doesnt really give justice to the snow depth. I could have pushed the pole deeper and the manmade was much deeper in the whales on rime and east glade.

100_1065.jpg

Looking up rime.

100_1063.jpg

Hiking up ridge run.

Last edited:

thebigo

Left out part of the story: last night when i was planning this trip i grabbed the oldest pair of skis in the basement and the snowshoes. I showshoed up to the top of the glades and then grabbed a chair perfectly positioned at the summit shack. Threw on my boots and went to click in ... disaster, bindings are set to the previous pair of boots.

After a brief panic, I realized that these were demo bindings and the day was saved.

More pics here if anybody is interested: http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/609/page/3

100_1064.jpg

I just liked this one. Looking past a running gun towards pico.

100_1090.jpg

Looking down into the canyon.

100_1059.jpg

Good view of the peak.

100_1088.jpg

Racers edge need a little more base.