• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

killington 2-4-2017

gladerider

as a weekend rider, i always wish for the perfect timing. i have not been this lucky in a while. it was a great day.
took the 330am bus from union square. by 9am we got to the snowshed lodge. looking at the side of the road, it looked like they got about 4"+ fresh pow.
a mt. ambassador got on our bus and said that the Jug was in a great shape so i decided to head that way. took the snowdon quad up. took the killink to conclusion down and plunged into the woods on the lower left side of conclusion. it was deep. the woods were relatively untouched. the powder was soft and fluffy. there was about 4-6" and a layer of crust then another 6-8" below the crust in some parts.

took the k-1 up and came down on Jug. the ambassador was right. Jug was great. still some pow on the sides untouched. but then i realized that it dished out to a green flat trail. well, we boarders hate traversing green trails. it's been a while since i've been to the beast so. made a mental note. don't come back here again.

from the bear mountain base, took the skye peak express quad up.

20170204_110750.jpg
i think this was wild fire? it was bumped up nicely. i think the upper part of it is called skyburst? it was bumped up all the way from the top. came down on it on the left side but i saw that side roped off for the snowblowers and pipeworks. so i decided to hit the trees to the left. wow. jackpot. it was deep. very nice. i decided to hit the part a few times. it was awesome.

20170204_112500.jpg
here is a pic of it.

took the skyeship express gondi to hit thimble and the trees below the gondi. again. deep pow everywhere. very happy.
went up again and took the skylark down to the k1 base.

then took the superstar quad down ovation. the upper part was ok, but the bottom part was very icy. prolly the worse condition of the day.

took the k1 gondi a few time to hit cascade, downdraft then double dipper. the trees left of the double dipper was tracked out more than the others. but was fun.

20170204_130724.jpg
this was the lower part of trees next to the double dipper.
did this a couple of times. taking the canyon quad.

my stomach started growling and realized it was already past 2pm.

went to the lodge to grab something to eat.

20170204_141021.jpg
here is a pic i took while drinking a pint of longtrail. very nice day. indeed.

it was 230 and i needed to get back to the snowshed to catch my bus.
decided to hit up the trees next to the double dipper once more. took the k1 gondi to the peak. down taking the great northern to the snowshed base.

had a great day. da beast is a great mountain when covered with pow properly.

gladerider

So how were the lift lines and was it very cold.

the lines were long, but i thought the lifties did a great job of moving them. i was on the singles line all day and thought it moved much faster than the lines at Stratton.

the temps were around 20 to 30 if i remember correctly. the sun peeked out here and there. it also started to snow in the afternoon for a bit.

JonD

took the k-1 up and came down on Jug. the ambassador was right. Jug was great. still some pow on the sides untouched. but then i realized that it dished out to a green flat trail. well, we boarders hate traversing green trails. it's been a while since i've been to the beast so. made a mental note. don't come back here again.

I always enjoy that little group of trails(Jug, Pipe Dream, etc), but hate that the only way out is Bear Cub all the way to Bear Mountain base.

nkLottery

I always enjoy that little group of trails(Jug, Pipe Dream, etc), but hate that the only way out is Bear Cub all the way to Bear Mountain base.

It's a pretty long runout...be careful when ducking ropes to ski that stuff! Learned that the hard way in December. Upper Jug opened up but there was a rope across the lower part that we ducked instead of taking Escape. Even though it looked decent from the top there are likely craters and rivers and bare spots (oh my) on Bear Cub toward the bottom... Not everyone was thrilled with the run but I still had fun

mikestaple

Was there as well. Perfect day. No wind over at Bear Mountain. Sun until 1:30. Temp must have been high 20s. Got after it early. Onto the Jug by 8:15. A few inches of powder all the down to the dreaded Bear Cub. After that the same trails as you along with Devil's Fiddle - which was excellent. Lots of powder in the troughs. Nice and steep. Just a few easy to see rocks that we avoided. Ovation and Skylark became scrapped off messes after 12. But that was expected on a Saturday. Lines we small until 10 when the crowds showed up.

Really a picture perfect east coast ski day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app