• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2/7/18

JimG.

Staff member
I was a little disappointed to wake up here and find out that it hadn't snowed overnight. No worries, it was snowing hard when I parked at 9:15 and did so all day. Puking snow. Very nice on top of the claimed 16" they got Sunday. Here are a few shots of average snow depths at around 11am:
ki22.jpg
ki2.jpg
It got a lot deeper as the day went on. Wind was blowing snow over to Snowdon so I did my usual laps there in the trees and the snow was deeper each run. Also did all the trees off Launch Pad like Anarchy, Julio, and the Nowhere/Somewhere duo. Weird to ski all day and not hear any scraping on ice or other hard items under the snow.
ki24.jpg
Later in the day it became easy to follow your tracks because everything filled in every run.
ki23.jpg
My last run of the day was Great Bear at about 3:45. I was spent but still totally enjoyed the smooth skiing in 8-10" of almost untouched powder. All of which made me a happy camper!
ki25.jpg
Even happier I'm still up here and I get to ski Pico tomorrow.

gnardawg

Looks dope - thinking about going tomorrow - maybe Pico - not sure.

possibly 2 of the best days ever at the Beast..... Get up there now!

JimG.

Staff member
Should be in your position in about 35 years lol

Many folks act amazed that I'm perfectly content not working anymore. They tell me I would be happier at least being a part timer.

It's been 3 years since I retired and frankly I'm not feeling that way at all! Awesome to be able to ski or fish whenever I want (within reason) and the quality time I get to spend with my 15 year old every day is priceless.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Many folks act amazed that I'm perfectly content not working anymore. They tell me I would be happier at least being a part timer.

It's been 3 years since I retired and frankly I'm not feeling that way at all! Awesome to be able to ski or fish whenever I want (within reason) and the quality time I get to spend with my 15 year old every day is priceless.
I love my work, it's incredibly challenging and immensely fulfilling despite the huge stress it often involves. That said the goal is to get to retirement as young as I possibly can. I could retire tomorrow at 42 years old quite easily. I'd probably commit some time to the local community a couple of days a week (maybe cook for the local meals on wheels program or help out in some other way to give back to the elderly) only after giving the most of my time to family and friends. Chasing snow would be the cherry on top.

Good on you Jim for finding your full freedom

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
I love my work, it's incredibly challenging and immensely fulfilling despite the huge stress it often involves. That said the goal is to get to retirement as young as I possibly can. I could retire tomorrow at 42 years old quite easily. I'd probably commit some time to the local community a couple of days a week (maybe cook for the local meals on wheels program or help out in some other way to give back to the elderly) only after giving the most of my time to family and friends. Chasing snow would be the cherry on top.

Good on you Jim for finding your full freedom

I have been looking at volunteering in the community or school system over the past few weeks. Sort of a New Year's resolution to give back, to do some good.

Even though I don't need more, you have to give to get.