• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 4/19/08

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 4/19/08 10 to 4

Resort or Ski Area: K

Conditions: Corn, bumps Temps hit 75 with full on sun

Trip Report: Madskier6 and his son got up to my condo around 11pm Fri night and we all were soon asleep.

Got up, had something to eat and took a quick trip to a ski shop so Jeff could buy his daughter a new pair of skis.

Hit the hill around 10. Runs skied were Cascade, Big Dipper,East fall, Power line,Lower Powerline, Superstar, Bittersweet, Skyelark, Vertigo, Needles eye,Needles eye liftline,Skye Hawk, Catwalk, Ovation. Best bumps were on Skye Hawk, Vertigo, Needles eye lift line.

At 11:00 we joined up with the mad Steezy GSS. The boy likes to ski fast. Skied with him to about 1 when we stoped for lunch..Nice guy.

After skiing for my third day in temps of 70 and full sun my face is real red and the legs are in bad shape. One more day on Sunday and I will call it a season.

Jeff took a bunch of pics. I am sure he will post them up. Great skiing with you agin Jeff and son!

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Sweet! Was it Jeff's son, Kevin? That little kid rips. Cool to see you met up with GSS too.

madskier6

Sweet! Was it Jeff's son, Kevin? That little kid rips. Cool to see you met up with GSS too.

Actually it was my other son, Connor, the snowboarder. Kevin went to Stratton yesterday with a friend of his.

I'll post the pictures shortly. What a great Spring Day. Killington was in her glory. You want to talk about mad steezy spring bumps. They were everywhere.

madskier6

We had a phenomenal day at Killington yesterday. Temps in the 60s & lower 70s with clear blue skies & plenty of soft corn and/or mashed potato snow. There were nice soft bumps everywhere. Since the weather was so nice I didn't have my camera with me all day but I did get a few decent shots.

IMG_0378.jpg

Here's what Catwalk looked like from the top:

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

Big Dipper was open & it was one of my favorite runs of the day.

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Lower East Fall:

IMG_0363.jpg

Cascade & Downdraft:

IMG_0372.jpg

madskier6

We met up with Grilled Steeze Sandwich & skied a few runs together. Fun guy to ski with. I'm glad we were able to hook up.

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

We hit Powerline which was in very good shape.

IMG_0368.jpg

Ovation was an excellent run despite the bare spots. We ducked the rope on the lower part of it & it was well worth it. The snow on that stretch of the run was silky smooth because it did not see a lot of skier traffic.

IMG_0381.jpg

madskier6

After lunch we headed over to the Skye Peak & the Needle's Eye area. We skied Needle's Eye, Vertigo & Needle's Eye Liftline. These were some of the best runs of the day (in my opinion). There were no bare spots on Vertigo at all. Tons of snow on that run & the bumps were to die for. Unfortunately, no pics since I didn't bring the camera with me after lunch.

The run with the toughest bumps (for me anyway) was the upper part of Skye Hawk. Real steep with VW-sized bumps. Skye Lark & Bittersweet were very nice as well. We obviously skied Superstar a few times (especially the upper headwall) but since K's been grooming it every night, it did not have the gigantic spring bumps we've all become accustomed to on that trail. Skiers left under the chair on Superstar had some nice big bumps that were fun, however.

At the end of the day, we did another run on Big Dipper & then closed the day with Escapade to Flume. Fantastic final run. The bumps were great on Escapade & the snow was very nice on Flume although we did have to walk across grass on one part of Flume. I guess that's why it was roped off.

It was just too tempting to not duck the ropes on Flume, Lower Ovation & Lower Powerline. I told Dave that I'm a bad father because I'm teaching my 14-yr old son not to respect authority by ducking ropes on closed trails. The snow & terrain on those runs was just too good to pass up. Plus, this late in the season the danger is minimal to non-existent.

This was one of the best days of my season. It is so much fun to ski in nice weather with soft corn snow & big, soft bumps. Killington was a great choice today because of the outstanding terrain & the variety. I know Mt. Snow has put a good product out there for late season, Spring skiing. But it doesn't have the type of terrain variety that K has. It's easy to bash Powdr for how they've run Killington this year but that mountain still f*%#ing rocks in the Spring. I'm glad I got to hit it again in all its Spring glory.

Here's some final pics.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

danny p

This was one of the best days of my season. It is so much fun to ski in nice weather with soft corn snow & big, soft bumps. Killington was a great choice today because of the outstanding terrain & the variety. I know Mt. Snow has put a good product out there for late season, Spring skiing. But it doesn't have the type of terrain variety that K has. It's easy to bash Powdr for how they've run Killington this year but that mountain still f*%#ing rocks in the Spring. I'm glad I got to hit it again in all its Spring glory.

well put. I was there the day before (friday). One of the best days of my season, my skiing career, and my life. No way K should be closed right now with that much snow and bluebird days still in the forecast. thanks for the report and pics.