• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - 5/8/15

otisshirley

Date skied: 5/8/15
Ski area: Killington

Here are some pictures for those who are thinking of going this weekend. The coverage was fantastic top-to-bottom on Superstar (of course). Skyelark coverage was very good, with some slushy areas in the middle (the flatter section) and one big hole (caused by a small stream) to skier's right in the lower part. Bittersweet had a small number of thin patches. Skye Hawk is missing a chunk to skier's right because of dirt and rocks, but is plenty wide enough to ski down.

Bottom of Superstar from the lift:
attachment.php

Superstar Headwall with the glacier at the top:
attachment.php

Lower Skyelark, loooking down:
attachment.php

Lower Skyelark, looking up:
attachment.php

Edit: The walk-up price was $54 today, but if you gave them a lift ticket or showed them a season pass from another mountain, it was half price. I don't know if that deal is on for the weekend.

Cornhead

The walk-up price was $54 today, but if you gave them a lift ticket or showed them a season pass from another mountain, it was half price. I don't know if that deal is on for the weekend.
I believe the discount is 25℅ off weekends. Nice of them to still count Friday as a weekday, I assumed they'd consider it part of the weekend since they're down to only weekends. Kudos to K.

steamboat1

Thanks for the pics & TR. Would've loved to been there myself,

WORLD WIDE TICKET AND SEASON PASS SPECIAL

SAVE EVERY DAY APRIL 6, 2015 ‘TILL THE SNOW MELTS

Your local mountain may be closed but we’ve got the goods for spring skiing and riding. Present any lift ticket, season pass, discount card, or frequent skier card from any mountain at the ticket window and receive 50% one-day lift tickets midweek and 25% off one-day lift tickets weekends. If presenting a lift ticket, it will need to be surrendered to receive the deal. Killington lift tickets dated 4/6/2015 and later will not be accepted. Offer may not be combined with any other offer or pre-purchased lift ticket. Killington Season Passes and Express Cards may not be presented for discounts for friends/family.

mishka

Noticeable change from last week. To my surprise a lot more people yesterday compared to last Friday

Overall great day.

SS at the end of the day

Attachments

• 0508151326a.jpg
    0508151326a.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

dlague

Was there as well and we had a blast. Under the corn snow there was a very edgeable crust/ice. Few highlights SS is in great shape, we celebrated my son's birthday now 13 and he and I hit 50 days. The weather was perfect. And one other thing - a shout out to Cornhead for sharing a BOGO. It was cool meeting you Bob! Wish we could have skied a run or two but nice chat while we chilled between runs sessions.

I noticed that SS is sliding and crevasses were appearing in spots. There was also a section where is is a jumbled mess. All easy to ski around. Skyehawk what is left of it has very this spots and stones much like the drop in on lower bittersweet. I will post some pics on Monday. For those going tomorrow is should be Sunday fun day!

skiadikt

great to see k get some love on azone. two awesome days. as seen from the pics, supe ttb & lower skye lark are prime. must have hit skye hawk half a dozen times today, and though the entrance is shot, it had beautiful corn bumps. for those who don't mind hiking in & out, cascade had he sweetest corn bumps on the hill. courtesy of gis, a pic yesterday on cascade.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cascade.jpg
    cascade.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 399

Cornhead

Nice meeting you and your family Dave, yes we'll have to hook up for some turns in the future. Big thanks to skimagic for allowing a couple fellow AZer's to save a couple bucks, every little bit helps, spent $80 on gas on this trip, AWD Prius?

Great day at K, skied from 8:30 to 4 with about an hour break for lunch. Not bad for a fat old man. Met some really cool people in the lot, did a little toking with them, no beer for me, been sober for 13 yrs. I was offered a venison jalapeño cheddar dog, but I was full.

It was so warm, I did a first, left my gloves on the chair, watched them head downhill as I skied away. Later in the day, a guy lowers the safety bar on top of my bald head as I'm sliding my poles under my leg. I thank him for the heads up on lowering the bar. I told him about losing my gloves, he mentioned seeing them below the chair, few seconds later I look down, there they are, a bonus of the breezy day.

Out of curiosity where K was drawing skiers this time of year, I started asking people on the chair where they were from. The majority seemed to be from either Boston or NYC areas. One guy replied Upstate NY, I asked where, he replied Binghamton, It is a small World after all.

Well that may, or may not, be my last day. If they can survive till June 1st the allure of actually skiing in June will be hard to pass up. Fingers crossed, Kudos to K, there may be a lot I don't like about Killington, but their recommitment to opening early and closing late is very commendable.

Didn't take many pics, but

Attachments

• 1431254695426.jpg
    1431254695426.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 1431254893611.jpg
    1431254893611.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 183

Cornhead

This is what my Thule rack looked like this morning, bug city.

Attachments

• 1431269955716.jpg
    1431269955716.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 176

dlague

Saturday was a perfect skiing and tailgating day!

A tough patch on Bittersweet at the drop from High Road
20150509_121647_resized.jpg

20150509_121650_resized.jpg

Skyelark mid way down
20150509_102623_resized.jpg

Lower Skyelark
20150509_120244_resized.jpg

SS
20150509_120654_resized.jpg

dlague

It was also a shorts day and I found out the hard way how hard the ice is under the corn snow! Crossed a tip and did a superman on one of the easiest stretches! Grrrrr! Funny things is - went to the car for a couple Harpoons and the bruising went away. Everything felt fine and we went back out for more runs.

20150509_104350_resized.jpg

Puck it

It was also a shorts day and I found out the hard way how hard the ice is under the corn snow! Crossed a tip and did a superman on one of the easiest stretches! Grrrrr! Funny things is - went to the car for a couple Harpoons and the bruising went away. Everything felt fine and we went back out for more runs.

attachment.php
I have done that before