• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington closed today

ThinkSnow

Wildcat is also closed.

[FONT=&quot]PLEASE NOTE: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wildcat will be closed on Saturday, January 6 due to extreme cold temperatures and high winds resulting in wind chill values well below -50. Our priority is the safety of our guests and employees. We'd love to operate as planned but we simply do not have the cooperation from Mother Nature. We plan to be back open on Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. for Youth Day![/FONT]

crank

Just checked Whiteface's site. Says they are open but with all lifts on hold.

-35 with 88mph winds on top of Mt Washington.

I remember a day, probably about 12 years ago, when I woke up at my sister's house in Saratoga NY. Our plan was to mee friends up at Whiteface. It was -16 in Saratoga and -35 at whiteface. i don't think they opened that day.

bdfreetuna

I guess we found out the answer to "How Cold is Too Cold".

At least if you want your skiing to be lift-accessed.

slatham

Pretty amazing. I am sure this has happened in the past but with social media and it being a weekend it's much more widely known now.

Zermatt

How can they not get any one of their mountains open when Pico is fully open except for the summit lift?

Seems odd, probably worried about something breaking or something did break and they aren't admitting to it? Like what happened at Bromley over Christmas.

Makes sense why there are so many people on the webcam at Pico.

Equinox

I'm not going out. I'm stuck in the house with a broken farm tractor, and I can't plow. Yuck. Today is too cold.

Zermatt

Lifts and Patrol have decided to shut down ALL LIFTS for the day. This decision did not come easy, however, it is always safety first for us on the mountain.

Jay, too.

If you weren't properly dressed and got stuck on a broken chair for two hours in the wind you could get hypothermic very quickly.

SkiFanE

Lifts and Patrol have decided to shut down ALL LIFTS for the day. This decision did not come easy, however, it is always safety first for us on the mountain.

Jay, too.
Smart move. Skiing is a recreational sport - if bozos want to risk their lives, so be it. But ski patrol and others shouldn't be put in danger trying to rescue them. No need to be on top of mountain in this weather.

SR has had a tough day. Apparently they have trees down and wind damage to some lifts. Trees around my house were creaking last night. Good day for book, woodstove and TV.

Cornhead

Not a good day for a lift failure, I got a little nervous when the lift stopped today at Greek. Couldn't help but imagining what it would've been like to be stranded 30ft off the ground for however long an evac would take. It probably wouldn't kill anyone, but frostbite would be likely.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

legalskier

Buddy of mine was at Stowe c. 1990 when it was 40 below. He was on a trail and stopped by the side to take in the beauty. He heard a voice say "It's a wonder winterland." He looked around but no one was there. Figured it was time to call it quits. We joke about it to this day.

Last edited:

Rogman

There is always some idiot that will go out there unprepared. Think any Green Bay Packers football game! Not a big deal. People who go out in those conditions are looking for bragging rights. They put themselves and others at risk. It's a new world, lawyers sometimes make the call. Not always a bad thing.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Buddy of mine was at Stowe c. 1990 when it was 40 below. He was on a trail and stopped by the side to take in the beauty. He heard a voice say "It's a winter wonderland." He looked around but no one was there. Figured it was time to call it quits. We joke about it to this day.

I was there that day. I was young, dumb and....

BenedictGomez

I was there that day. I was young, dumb and....

I dont know how many times in that year it got that cold, but I was at Killington that year on a school ski trip when it was -60, may have been the same day. The coldest I've ever been. We took 2 or 3 runs and spent the rest of the day in the lodge.

Zermatt

I dont know how many times in that year it got that cold, but I was at Killington that year on a school ski trip when it was -60, may have been the same day. The coldest I've ever been. We took 2 or 3 runs and spent the rest of the day in the lodge.

It's never been -60 in Vermont.

Edit: At least in the past 40 years it has not.

Last edited: