• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Closing Juggernaut

Zand

KustyTheKlown

i haven't skied juggernaut or any of that terrain since i was a kid. until this year. i wanted to check out the "natural woods" off of solitude/sassafras. i hopped into the woods off of sassafras where the trail map depicts a valley/drainage. the southern exposure made for really sticky shitty snow, and i ended up slogging out. if there is quality tree skiing to be had on that part of killington, i do not know where it hides.

icecoast1

Seems like a pretty useless trail to me. I rode it once when it was hard and fast, and almost immediately regretted the decision. A long trail like that could be enjoyable for the right person but it needs just a little more pitch.

MEtoVTSkier

I believe, from what is shown in some of the documents, that they are only closing the part ABOVE Sassafras, to the Peak. If they are closing the piece from Sassafras to Sunrise, it isn't showing in the permits yet... and they've stated they're only closing off 5 acres of space.

jaytrem

Why is Juggernaut a blue trail anyway. From what I remember of it it was pretty flat. I haven't skied it in almost 30 years though.

They changed it so that beginners who can't really skate or pole wouldn't ski it.

Killingtime

Yeah, I've been on it only a few times in the past decade. Took a group of beginners on it years ago and they loved it. I kept thinking I wished I had a snowmobile.

benski

Killington should also negotiate to cut a narrow trail between Sassafras and South ridge, They could really use more narrow trails.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like it is only the "Upper" Portion of the trail:

The mitigation plan provides for the replacement of Bicknell’s Thrush habitat to be
removed through closure of the upper portion of the nearby Juggernaut ski trail.

skiur

I don't recall it even being open last winter, maybe they were just preparing us for it's removal.

machski

Why is Juggernaut a blue trail anyway. From what I remember of it it was pretty flat. I haven't skied it in almost 30 years though.
Because ALL trails off Killington Peak were regraded to Blue or above. This was to keep beginners off the peak and spare them from the crazy intersections. Will be interesting to see if K keeps those grades with the new tunnels this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

raisingarizona

It was a green trail back in the 80's and 90's. I never skied it, I always heard that it was too flat for actually skiing or making turns on.

It was definitely part of Killingtons numbers game back then. The claim was longest trail in the east and the gondola was the longest lift. It's sort of funny how both turned out to be less than ideal ideas. Top to bottom lifts at most mountains don't really make any sense for intermediate to advanced skiers and either does maintaining a ten mile long jeep road that no one cares to ski just to make a claim.

urungus

That’s a bummer, I had always wanted to try this trail just to say I had done it. The article included a photo of what will be closed, it is the upper portion only:

E98C3C16-830F-474E-BF8D-E038A8F11D51.jpg

ThinkSnow

Killington should also negotiate to cut a narrow trail between Sassafras and South ridge, They could really use more narrow trails.
Narrow trails at Kmart? What would all the NY/NJ/CT skiers & riders do? Oh right, in a few years it would just be widened like all the rest.

bdfreetuna

Completely pointless trail except for the "10 miles long" marketing campaign. I "skied" it once, what a waste of time.

It's completely absurd they have to "swap land" in the interest of some stupid bird that maybe has a couple nests up there. Being that this creature has wings I bet it can build a nest a couple miles down the road just as easily..

Smellytele

Completely pointless trail except for the "10 miles long" marketing campaign. I "skied" it once, what a waste of time.

It's completely absurd they have to "swap land" in the interest of some stupid bird that maybe has a couple nests up there. Being that this creature has wings I bet it can build a nest a couple miles down the road just as easily..

It was removed from the endangered species list as well

Equinox

The birds always win. I have a summer place on Cape Cod, and every year we lose more beach and fishing holes to a stupid bird called the Piping Plover. Now I have another bird I don't like.

AdironRider

Bird nuts are some of the most intense environmentalists out there. They make PETA look like pacifists.