• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is opening

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've got my money on SR having TtB on two mountains tomorrow. I bet they get Right Stuff open. If not at the very least, they'll have the Barker lift spinning and two lower mountain trails on Locke to add variety. Maybe even three

check out the skiesta webcam. SR is definitely the play. I'll wait until next week until K has more to offer.

http://www.skiesta.us/mountains/SkiEsta/WebCam.shtml

Tin

From reports I've read both Stowe & Okemo are ttb already. Hiking is required however. Okemo opens the 15th & Stowe the 22nd.

Any idea what trails at Stowe? Looking at the temps. K will not be able to make snow from Sunday night until Weds. For next weekend SR, Okemo, Wildcat, and possibly Mt.Snow and Bretton Woods will be T2B before they are?! Did last year's January spook them into not blowing as much?

MadMadWorld

Any idea what trails at Stowe? Looking at the temps. K will not be able to make snow from Sunday night until Weds. For next weekend SR, Okemo, Wildcat, and possibly Mt.Snow and Bretton Woods will be T2B before they are?! Did last year's January spook them into not blowing as much?

They usually open up with Perry Merrill

deadheadskier

Staff member
Say what?

That's new.

For years and years it was always Upper Lord to North Slope. From there they'd add several trails on the Four Runner side. The gondola usually didn't open until a couple of weeks after. It's been years since I've skied Stowe early season though.

MadMadWorld

Say what?

That's new.

For years and years it was always Upper Lord to North Slope. From there they'd add several trails on the Four Runner side. The gondola usually didn't open until a couple of weeks after. It's been years since I've skied Stowe early season though.

Sorry that's what I meant

mishka

anybody noticed superstar lift at Killington has no cable. On Tuesday, when where leaving, I saw workers pulling what looks like a cable up to second tower

drjeff

anybody noticed superstar lift at Killington has no cable. On Tuesday, when where leaving, I saw workers pulling what looks like a cable up to second tower

Yup - standard haul rope replacement going on - SS HSQ should be ready to carry customers to the top of it in about a week, once the inspector has given it the green light

yeggous

Why does Killington take so damn long to get top to bottom? Tomorrow you'll have Sunday River, Bretton Woods, and Wildcat all skiing top to bottom. Bretton Woods and Wildcat will be doing it with high speed quads. Vermont needs to get their shit together.

drjeff

Why does Killington take so damn long to get top to bottom? Tomorrow you'll have Sunday River, Bretton Woods, and Wildcat all skiing top to bottom. Bretton Woods and Wildcat will be doing it with high speed quads. Vermont needs to get their shit together.

#1 - latitude I'm sure plays a bit with the variances in the micro climate that each of the other resorts you've mentioned experienced. It only takes a few degree difference this time of year to go from a non favorable wet bulb temp to a marginally favorable wet bulb temp, to a GOOD production wet bulb temp, and Killington is the furthest South of those other 3 resorts you mentioned

#2 - possibly mileage of terrain to cover. If I'm not mistaken the mileage that K needs to cover to get from the top of K1, down through Northridge and over to Snowdon and down to the base is more than the mileage that any other of the resorts you mentioned need to cover too.

steamboat1

WOW...................just WOW !!!

Savemeasammy

I'm not sure how much this will affect business at Killington, though. Personally, Wildcat is only 1/2 longer for me, so they would get my business assuming a reasonable cost difference. I'm sure that Killington is still the play for many because of location. I hope K is taking notes, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newpylong

I don't think it's even debatable that Wildcat has the best route right now. Lynx is amazing even mid winter let alone having it this early.