• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington: November 27, 2006 (Some Monday Turns)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Monday, November 27, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: WS/Bumps/Corn. Spring Conditions

Weather: Upper 40's, low 50's and cloudy skies with some sun.

Trip Report: Day 2. My plan was to get at least two days this weekend on the slopes to get the juices going again. I had thought about doing a stint at Mount Snow yesterday PM, but I decided to save it and go back to Killington this afternoon....in hopes of the same terrain and less folks. I was able to get both.

I left the law school and made the short trip down 100. As I climbed up the access road, I was :eek: and :cry: to see how much snow had melted....there has been some loss but not a terribile amount....just enough to notice. I pulled in at noon and was able to get prime parking at Bay 2. Although the lots were pretty full :eek:

After lunch and booting up, I crossed the mud and got onto the snow loading area for the gondola. I had heard that the snow was good...nice and soft and that things were bumping up.

First run was down Great Northern and it was quite bumped up....more so than Friday. As I wound my way down to the Poma, I saw many, many skiers and riders out. Overall, there was just enough people for the resort to make $$$ (lots of day tix) while not enough to clog the trails.

I did some laps on the Poma...in the company of a Canadian Ski Team and some KMS students. Mouse Run was nice...had not been skied on too much. Bunny Buster was deeper and more chopped up. After about 20 minutes or so, I headed down Great Northern back to KBL to de-layer.

Riding up the gondola I decided to hit Downdraft. It appeared to be much more forgiving than it was on Friday....when it was a sheet of ice (and I passed on making a descent). It was worth the wait. Nice corn snow and soft bumps made for a fun first double black of the season. I would hit it two more times later that day. :D

From here I skied down to the Glades Area and hit East Fall (quite thin in places), Rime (bumped up on the lower part, not bad on the top), Upper Dipper (very nice), and Great Northern/Pipeline (Great Northern off of Rime was getting thin as well) back to the Poma for about six more runs there before the snow got too heavy on Bunny Buster and too firm on Mouse Run.

Mouse Trap was great...soft snow on the sides and good bumps. The Snowdon Quad slope was closed and was getting thin.

I made another Gondola lap, taking Downdraft. I stopped to rest my burning legs...it was 3:00pm. "Just one more run," I said, so I headed down Rime to the Triple and hit Upper Dipper-Great Northern. I decided on another encore doing the same number. Than an encore to the encore. Then...well, you get it. :wink: I could not pass up the opportunity to ski on smooth, soft corn snow that was covering Upper Dipper. So I skied it until close and then headed back down to KBL with a big smile and some tired legs.

Good vibes today. Nice folks. Good day to be at Killington. And now it is looking more and more like :snow: is in the forecast for Friday and Saturday!!!!! :beer: