• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Peak via Shrewsbury Mt

Talisman

Date(s) Hiked: May 30, 2010

Trails(s) Hiked:Shrewsbury to the LT/AT

Total Distance: ~11 miles

Difficulty:Moderete

Conditions:Great! No bugs, sunny, breezy, dry footing, wild flowers and a little smokey

Special Required Equipment: Endurance

Trip Report:

Went out for a hike up Killington from the South via Shrewsbury Mtn to the LT/AT just South of Killington Peak. This was a different approach to Killington for me and it is fairly long because of the up and over Shrewsbury but the footing is easy in most places. The trails were dry and except for some recent wind damage, the trails are clear of blow downs. From the summit ledge of Shrewsbury to the LT/AT the trail is narrow but well blazed. Didn't see any others hiking from Shrewbury until the summit of Killington.

Lots of trout lillies, white and red trilliums were in bloom at various places along the way. From a ridge near Little Killington A glimpse of the new trail cut on Sky Peak (?) was visible.

The summit views from Killington were a little disappointing because of the smoke from the forest fires in Quebec. The view to the east was especially hazey, but it was a great day to be out and the breeze along the ridges kept the black flies and mosquitos to a minimum.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've always wanted to hike Killington via this route. I've hiked Killington from the KBL area. The other thing that is disappointing with Killington is that the summit is very cluttered with junk that is not maintained (rusting towers, etc).

Talisman

Killington like a lot of high peaks has a junky summit like Mansfield, Washington, Ascutney and Equinox, which makes places like Katahdin so special. The hike from the KBL to the summit, odesn't do the peak justice like the Bucklin, Shreburn Pass or LT/AT. The route from the south has a "middle of no where" feel most hikes up VT summits lack.

Talisman

What time were you at the summit? My group reached the summit (via Mendon) around 2 PM.

We summited around 1:00 PM, were you hiking with dogs? On the return the only group we passed were some (5-6) day hikers with a couple of dogs. If it was you, what a small world.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
We summited around 1:00 PM, were you hiking with dogs? On the return the only group we passed were some (5-6) day hikers with a couple of dogs. If it was you, what a small world.

Nope, not dogs in our group, though we bumped into a few folks with dogs.