• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

steamboat1

While I would like to agee with you, in today's world of ski area finances this statement just doesn't wash anymore. Snow left on the ground is irrelevant to the operator, the numbers of fannies sitting on lifts and at the bar is what drives the decision to stay open or not.

While most of us here would go ski anywhere there was snow left that was open and running, we also need to face the fact that we are a very small subset of the skiing population and believe it or not, we don't matter in these decisions. Most of us paid for a season pass right after our ski area closed and since then, we are not important to the operator. The ski area already has our money, and because we ski 50 days a year they look at us as the skiers who paid too little on average per ski day. And that's it.

The vast majority of skiers have stopped skiing and are playing golf by the end of March.

Didn't look to empty to me on the last Sat. at K last year.

And yes there were plenty of day tickets sold, not just season pass holders skiing.

Attachments

• 20100424killington07.jpg
    20100424killington07.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Gilligan

While I would like to agee with you, in today's world of ski area finances this statement just doesn't wash anymore. Snow left on the ground is irrelevant to the operator, the numbers of fannies sitting on lifts and at the bar is what drives the decision to stay open or not.

While most of us here would go ski anywhere there was snow left that was open and running, we also need to face the fact that we are a very small subset of the skiing population and believe it or not, we don't matter in these decisions. Most of us paid for a season pass right after our ski area closed and since then, we are not important to the operator. The ski area already has our money, and because we ski 50 days a year they look at us as the skiers who paid too little on average per ski day. And that's it.

The vast majority of skiers have stopped skiing and are playing golf by the end of March.
For a great many Killington skiers, the decision of whether or not to buy that season pass is driven by the length of the ski season. We should, and I believe we do, matter in these decisions. That long season has always been one of K's greatest selling points.

JimG.

Staff member
It's pretty simple. First one who opens wins.

Wins what? Do they get more ski area visits than other areas because they opened first? Or, do they win because their skiers are a "happy group"? A keg of beer would serve that purpose for alot less money.

Just as I have grown weary of the endless end of season criticism, I am equally tired of the silly first to open contest.

Here's an ice bath for you...Woodbury in CT beat everyone to first opening many of the past 10 seasons or so. Is that a great place to ski?

JimG.

Staff member
Didn't look to empty to me on the last Sat. at K last year.

And yes there were plenty of day tickets sold, not just season pass holders skiing.

I didn't say it was empty. I mean, looking at your photo it sure ain't crowded either.

Look, I would love to ski into June like the old days. And we don't make the decision how many is enough skiers to make it profitable. You and I might think that is plenty enough to stay open, but clearly the powers that be disagreed.

JimG.

Staff member
For a great many Killington skiers, the decision of whether or not to buy that season pass is driven by the length of the ski season. We should, and I believe we do, matter in these decisions. That long season has always been one of K's greatest selling points.

If we mattered as you believe, Killington would still stay open through May into June. And they would beat SR to open even if it meant crushing a billion ice cubes on a trail to open it first.

K's greatest selling point is that it is the best big mountain skiing close to major east coast metro areas. And that's the way it should be sold nowadays since the Pres Smith days are long gone. That beast is dead.

thetrailboss

Staff member

But we know that the season length has in fact made many people go elsewhere because it is not as long as it was.

JimG.

Staff member
This thread just keeps going and going and going.

Great isn't it?

This is nothing Scotty, there have been epic threads in the past all inspired by Killington.

Did I mention to you how much I enjoy stirring the pot in these threads?

Some of the best ski conversation on the web.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If we mattered as you believe, Killington would still stay open through May into June. And they would beat SR to open even if it meant crushing a billion ice cubes on a trail to open it first.

K's greatest selling point is that it is the best big mountain skiing close to major east coast metro areas. And that's the way it should be sold nowadays since the Pres Smith days are long gone. That beast is dead.

Exactly. Different business approach and model now. It is what it is. Every year we discuss and debate this issue. POWDR is running the place as they see best even though folks may not agree.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
For a great many Killington skiers, the decision of whether or not to buy that season pass is driven by the length of the ski season.
Since K no longer leads the way early or late season, can you say that is really a factor any more? Folks sticking with Killington are doing so despite the length of the season, not because of it. It has been a long time since K had a really long season like it used to and it is getting beat at both ends excepting last year's first to open tie.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Since K no longer leads the way early or late season, can you say that is really a factor any more? Folks sticking with Killington are doing so despite the length of the season, not because of it. It has been a long time since K had a really long season like it used to and it is getting beat at both ends excepting last year's first to open tie.

I agree. The one thing that I think we have all concluded is that, considering that they generally open and stay open, is that they still have more ski days than other places. But absolutely....Sunday River generally opens earlier, Sugarloaf and Jay stay open no later.

JimG.

Staff member
That is not true. Maybe a few times, not "many".

OK Mr. Hair Splitter...at least you admit they did "beat" other ski areas to open a few times in the past 10 years.

Can you tell me what they "won" for opening first? It certainly was not worldwide acclaim and a 300% increase in season pass sales.

I hope you realize all of this is very tongue in cheek...someone else said the first to open wins. Just trying to figure out the prize.

Gilligan

You do not think Killington is the best early and late season skiing? Do you read the trip reports? K's conditions generally still win at both ends. K has settled of late to have the longest season (total days open) by just a little bit. Yes, in the old days they would win by weeks, but now they still win by days. Thank god for the likes of Sunday River pushing K as hard as they do.

Sunday River's new motto should be: We try harder, because we have to.

Gilligan

Great isn't it?

This is nothing Scotty, there have been epic threads in the past all inspired by Killington.

Did I mention to you how much I enjoy stirring the pot in these threads?

Some of the best ski conversation on the web.
So we have one moderator admitting he is a troll stirring the pot, and another mod pretending to know what's going on from his base out in Utah. Typical AlpineZone BS.

powhunter

You do not think Killington is the best early and late season skiing? Do you read the trip reports? K's conditions generally still win at both ends. K has settled of late to have the longest season (total days open) by just a little bit. Yes, in the old days they would win by weeks, but now they still win by days. Thank god for the likes of Sunday River pushing K as hard as they do.

Spot on Man!!

Steveo

thetrailboss

Staff member
So we have one moderator admitting he is a troll stirring the pot, and another mod pretending to know what's going on from his base out in Utah. Typical AlpineZone BS.

You're new here. I've only been in Utah for about a year. I grew up in Vermont and lived there for most of my life. I've been a passholder at Sugarbush, Jay, Burke, Killington, and many others so I do have a good idea, still, about what is going on.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
OK Mr. Hair Splitter...at least you admit they did "beat" other ski areas to open a few times in the past 10 years.

Can you tell me what they "won" for opening first? It certainly was not worldwide acclaim and a 300% increase in season pass sales.

I hope you realize all of this is very tongue in cheek...someone else said the first to open wins. Just trying to figure out the prize.
I never said anything about winning. Though I think the poster that said that just means "winning" as in "they get first to open honors." Regardless of how you feel, there certainly is buzz and press generated by first to open and many enjoy that type of buzz.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

I don't need to "read the trip reports" because I am out there skiing, both K and SR before, when, and after they open, early and late season, at least a few times per season. I almost always end up at SR during October and early November before K really expands. SR is less crowded, cheaper, and a better experience for my money until K gets a good amount of terrain open from Skye to Snowdon. Since they don't push as hard as they used to, it takes a lot longer for me to justify the crowds and money for K. If I am skiing a WROD, there is not much sense in even evaluating quality... a WROD is a WROD. Keep it inexpensive and not crowded and not far away, I'll be there.

Late season... K would have the best offerings if they actually stayed open late. Then again, Jay has a really nice product when they get a good enough base to make it into May. There were a lot of K refuges at Jay that May... and that link goes to a report posted a week before they actually closed...

deadheadskier

Staff member
You do not think Killington is the best early and late season skiing? Do you read the trip reports? K's conditions generally still win at both ends..

Early season, Killington is in the debate over the past 10 years.

Late season, I don't think so. I think Jay and Sugarloaf have put forth the better late season product for a long time. Jay for season length and Sugarloaf for terrain offerings. On average over the past several years, there are two to three weeks at the end of the season where Killington is running on Superstar, Skyelark and Bittersweet and Sugarloaf still has 20, 30, sometimes 40+ trails open off of the Superquad and Spillway.