• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington

Newpylong

I obviously have a bias towards Killington and Sugarbush, but at this point in the winter if anyone is making a trip for multiple days and wants to actually ski, I can only recommend Killington. They practically have twice as much mileage open as anyone else and that trend continues as they are expanding rapidly. I suggest checking it out....

2knees

but at this point in the winter if anyone is making a trip for multiple days and wants to actually ski, I can only recommend Killington. They practically have twice as much mileage open as anyone else and that trend continues as they are expanding rapidly. I suggest checking it out....

exactly what i was getting at. If its right now or the near future, killington is really the only choice for an extended stay.

koreshot

exactly what i was getting at. If its right now or the near future, killington is really the only choice for an extended stay.

Definitely. Although, if the trip is in a couple of weeks, say mid to late January, Stowe and Sugarbush (in theory... but with this weather you never know) should catch up with terrain openings. Also, as I mentioned before, staying in Sugarbush puts 3 or 4 other noteworthy resorts in less than an hour drive radius, including Killington. Although, after a 12 hour drive I am not sure how willing you will be to drive to ski.

And yes, Killington is many great things and I am always impressed at how dedicated and powerful their snow making crew and system is, but the mountain has no soul - much like Tremblant.

SkiDork

Definitely. Although, if the trip is in a couple of weeks, say mid to late January, Stowe and Sugarbush (in theory... but with this weather you never know) should catch up with terrain openings. Also, as I mentioned before, staying in Sugarbush puts 3 or 4 other noteworthy resorts in less than an hour drive radius, including Killington. Although, after a 12 hour drive I am not sure how willing you will be to drive to ski.

And yes, Killington is many great things and I am always impressed at how dedicated and powerful their snow making crew and system is, but the mountain has no soul - much like Tremblant.

Agreed - but it's the actual users who can give it a real soul if the proprieters can't. We're trying to do that on a regular basis...

2knees

Agreed - but it's the actual users who can give it a real soul ...

maybe you've been spending too much time on your computer. Users?? i thought they were usually referred to as skiers. (emoticon for j/k goes here)

Newpylong

Yeah I can def. see how a lot of people can say K-Mart is like McDonalds. Always the same as always plain. I guess I have skied there so much I don't see it like that. It does ski weird, like a bunch of 1,500 foot mountains... there are a ton of connectors.. That said, I still get a feeling of awe driving up the access road when the mighty K-Peak and its surrounding peaks come into sight. I guess its all what you make of it.

SKIQUATTRO

it is a strange place as far a vibe...i've been there 30+ times and just cant get in tune with the mountain, dont know what it its about it, cant say i like it or dislike it, its just there....for me it has no real 'feeling' as there is with Stowe/Smuggs/Bush..there are some get trees/bumps, but overall its all just 'ok', nothing i'd go outta my way for....