• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

letitsnow1

There was a hard freeze last year in the second half of May that helped a lot, and lots of cooler nights. The pile at the top looked huge a few weeks ago but it went fast.They have enough snow to patch it together once but I don't know how many times they can do that. The snow report still says skiing on memorial day, It's going to be really ugly by then

BodeMiller1

SS CAM is pointed over the lift (wind?) 78F at the top (peak cam has a thermometer). Looks like a short walk, butt they farm the snow.,..

Smellytele

It is ugly just about every year on June 1st. Some years you walk down the upper head wall with asssitance with a rope, then take skis off on the flat at the bottom to get to the lift and then a few years the bottom of the lower head wall had bare spots where you had to walk or ski across grass to get back to snow.

cdskier

SS CAM is pointed over the lift (wind?) 78F at the top (peak cam has a thermometer). Looks like a short walk, butt they farm the snow.,..

I'm surprised it is 78 at the peak. A nearby weather station at 2100' only topped out at 82 degrees today.

drjeff

Gaps are being filled is now. Headwall is skiable for now. Seems kinda early. Guess they wanted to move snow while it's still cooler?
Yup, just saw that on their webcam.

Winching what looks to be a BUNCH of snow up Preston's Pitch from that stash over by the KMS jumps.

Zand

I probably would have let it melt another day (going to be 70 there again) before farming.
Agreed.

And just like this week, the whole weekend looks warmer and sunnier every time I look.

My plan was to head up Monday but I'm not really interested in hiking down the headwall. I think it's gonna be pretty ugly by Sunday. I love a good 80 degree day on MDW on Superstar but unfortunately I think this year is out.

Zand

Here's Sunday of MDW in 2022. They bridged up the headwall really good before Monday but they also had the snow down below to do it.

Screenshot_20240523-094406.png

In comparison, here's today...

Screenshot_20240523-094549.png

flakeydog

Leap year added an extra day, plus Killington was just out of the area of totality for the eclipse so no wonder it went so fast

thebigo

My plan was to head up Monday but I'm not really interested in hiking down the headwall. I think it's gonna be pretty ugly by Sunday. I love a good 80 degree day on MDW on Superstar but unfortunately I think this year is out.
Same, plan was to wrap season on monday but doubt it will be worth the drive. Friday will likely be decent but working, not interested in Saturday crowd. Probably my last season with a K spring pass, did not get value out of it this year.

Keelhauled

Hopefully they are going to adjust the snowmaking plan next year to get better depth on the middle section. That should not be the weak link.

drjeff

Hopefully they are going to adjust the snowmaking plan next year to get better depth on the middle section. That should not be the weak link.
Almost always has been that way. The flat section that the middle is, tends not to drain the melting water from the snowpack under it as efficiently and that serves to warm the surrounding ground quicker, thus increasing the melt rate (or atleast that's what I recall someone with a much greater knowledge of the SS melting process over on Kzone explaining a few years ago ;) )

If that's the case, they'd likely have to put an extra 5 to 10 feet on that middle section to have it melt out to completion at a similar pace as the rest of the trail.

Maybe if they get a season where they're not in recovery mode as often as they were this year (one can certainly make the case that some upgrades to a good chunk of their snowmaking system currently may help facilitate the speed at which they can recover, let alone roll out terrain initially) they may be able to do that. Let's also not forget that it took a little while longer this season as well to get a decent window or 2 in that late Feb/early March timeframe when historically they really go after SS to build the depths needed to go deep into May and potentially June.

BodeMiller1

Leap year added an extra day, plus Killington was just out of the area of totality for the eclipse so no wonder it went so fast
365 + 1 = 366

minus 8 hrs. (it got cold during the eclipse and lowered the temperature going into the night)

So, is adding 16 hours fair?

BodeMiller1

Almost always has been that way. The flat section that the middle is, tends not to drain the melting water from the snowpack under it as efficiently and that serves to warm the surrounding ground quicker, thus increasing the melt rate (or atleast that's what I recall someone with a much greater knowledge of the SS melting process over on Kzone explaining a few years ago ;) )

If that's the case, they'd likely have to put an extra 5 to 10 feet on that middle section to have it melt out to completion at a similar pace as the rest of the trail.

Maybe if they get a season where they're not in recovery mode as often as they were this year (one can certainly make the case that some upgrades to a good chunk of their snowmaking system currently may help facilitate the speed at which they can recover, let alone roll out terrain initially) they may be able to do that. Let's also not forget that it took a little while longer this season as well to get a decent window or 2 in that late Feb/early March timeframe when historically they really go after SS to build the depths needed to go deep into May and potentially June.
Agree, folks check their speed approaching the two towers after the "headwall". I've always wondered why not do this on Outer Limits. Butt, There's far more infrastructure below SS. Most skiers can't handle the steeps on OL. Give the people what they want.

Newpylong

The real explanation is far simpler. The middle flat section receives more sunlight than the "headwall" and Pres pitch.

An extreme example of this is next door Ovation. If you look at the most recent Google Earth imagery you can see the Headwall and Lower sections already in the shade while the middle is receiving far more direct sunlight. Superstar is nearly identical but less pronounced as it's not as steep.

Last edited:

chuckstah

From the snow report, walk on/off the lift with 2 per chair. They didn't build ramps. Areas of "fast grass" are expected. Still under consideration, leaning no go.