• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Zand

I've gotten used to using Reason as a trail name (probably because Rime'n'Reason are the usual early season trails) but I absolutely still catch myself calling it West Glade instead of Ridge Run.

Also I absolutely still call Bear Cub "Falls Brook". It's only been like 18 years since they changed all the names but old habits die hard lol. When I was young I sucked as a skier and wasn't one of those little rippers you see flying around. One of my favorite things to do was ride the Bear Quad over and over because I was always in awe of watching the good skiers crush Outer Limits, but then I'd always take Falls Brook to the bottom because it was all I could handle at the time haha.

Zand

thanks.

ridge run is skier's left of the north ridge. looker's right. the boundary trail. you'd go past it to get to coopers. the woods between it and powerline ski well. i think reason and rime used to be east and west glade perhaps?

did not know the name of hte trees next to escapade
0414231459_HDR.jpg
If you've ever gone in the woods and came across this dude then you've skied the Light. It probably holds snow better than any other glade in New England because it's probably all above 3700' and low angle.

BodeMiller1

Devil's Fidel Killington, the carnage the horror. White Heat leads them to think they can ski it. He hee-nope.

LoafSkier19

We had a great weekend at K. Sunday afternoon turned out to be really nice. Enjoyed the bumps on Downdraft and double dipper. Hope to be back in May to use my last 3 Ikon days

IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3395.jpeg

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
April 29, 2024 - Monday
Another fine day, but everything east of Bittersweet and west of Ovation is now closed. (Lower Ovation is now closed.)

Ovation Headwall has some nice turns if you have the courage to take the entrance.

Middle Ovation will be around for a while and had the best bumps on the hill, but the return to Superstar will be by walking by the weekend.

Upper Skyehawk was still open, but there are a few bare spots to negotiate.

Skiing in general was really nice considering that it didn't get cold enough on Sunday night to set up.

IceEidolon

The only thing wrong with this is it's not enough. Obviously there are issues any time you want to add thousands of people to a remote, relatively wild location, but the parts of Vermont near "stuff" are pretty close to full.

Riddle me this, if Killington could build a hypothetical 10,000 dwellings instead of 2K, do you think prices on the cheap stuff would be low enough for, say, a senior lift maintainer or other skilled position to raise a family in that housing? Assume the spouse works remote at a comparable salary.

skiur

Based on this morning, if you want more than Superstar, better ski this weekend. And I don't see June depths on SS either.

There is still a ton of snow on supe, unless we get some real hot sunny days they should make June. Bittersweet is toast, skyelark still in good shape as is middle ovation but that does require a bit of walking to get back to supe. Still a ton of snow in the canyon if you feel like hiking up launch pad.

Newpylong

Too early to call it either way - May is the most volatile. They can go from "in the bag" to Memorial Day closing pretty quickly. They also can go from no way June to making it in the same way.

machski

There is still a ton of snow on supe, unless we get some real hot sunny days they should make June. Bittersweet is toast, skyelark still in good shape as is middle ovation but that does require a bit of walking to get back to supe. Still a ton of snow in the canyon if you feel like hiking up launch pad.
Nope sorry, this is least amount of snow at K first weekend of May I've seen maybe ever. Middle Ovation will be broken by tomorrow (already is in one spot). Upper Skyelark ok but High Road is least I e seen connected to lower bitter. And the connection back to the lift is practically toast from there with nothing on lower Skyelark to farm.

letitsnow1

Superstar made June 1st last year and it's definitely got more snow now than it did last year. They have a real good chance of making june but mother nature always has the final say

Zand

IMO the base depth at this point is almost irrelevant. For example, on this weekend in 2015 we were still skiing the peak and canyon and it seemed like June was a no brainer, but then it was in the 80s seemingly every day in May and they barely made Memorial Day. However in 2022 things seemed bleak as early as late March but then they made June 4th because May was cold. The biggest variable for Superstar is May itself.

Zand

I don't see any below freezing nights in the forecast. Not a good sign...
Yeah looks warm in the next couple weeks but no real hot days and a decent amount of cloudiness. Only 3 weeks till Memorial Day weekend so I think they *should* make that unless the heat really goes crazy. But if it's Memorial Day and they're already patching then making it a whole week to get June might be tough.

The Sneak

I remember that 1993 opening. I used to call the snow line daily, much to my parents' chagrin (long distance, yo). I never did to ski there in October, but was on one of the first chairs when Sugarloaf opened in October 1997 (Spillway, you had to walk back down - no downloading on double runner). It was such a neat, novel experience.

Shredmonkey254

I was there on October 1st that year. I think I still have the ticket somewhere in a box in the attic.
I rode my mountain bike up Juggernaut that October with my tele gear strapped on. Parked at top of K peak and did a few runs for free before descending back down on the bike. Burned out a set of brake pads completely before getting back to the car. Love the split tail Hexcel skis I had mounted up then!

Attachments

• tele bike photo.jpeg
    tele bike photo.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 16