• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lack of Cannon Upper Mountain

Puck it

WTF - Why waste snow making power right now on this

from the snow report

Tossup (in preparation for the regular season terrain park).

Get the f'ing upper mountain open first. There are only two resorts in NH that are not top to bottom. Cannon and Gunstock. So much for that new compressor. Ranting a little.

Smellytele

from the snow report

Get the f'ing upper mountain open first. There are only two resorts in NH that are not top to bottom. Cannon and Gunstock. So much for that new compressor. Ranting a little.

Hope they get it going soon. Next weekend was my first planned time there

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Maybe they figure the real hard core skiers are hiking up anyway. Besides with the front five all open that's more terrain than a lot of areas. What I really wanna know is When are they gonna open Moose Alley and Turkey Trot!? Com'on!

4aprice

I like Cannon but I have wondered about their early season strategy. As discussed before they probably have the best early/late season set up with the tram and Cannonball quad but choose not to do it. To not have the top open yet is kind of strange. Maybe I will be hitting BW this Sunday instead.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cannonball

I like Cannon but I have wondered about their early season strategy. As discussed before they probably have the best early/late season set up with the tram and Cannonball quad but choose not to do it. To not have the top open yet is kind of strange. Maybe I will be hitting BW this Sunday instead.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I don't disagree at all, because I find it lame that Cannon's upper mountain isn't open. But with that said.... redirecting to BW for that reason doesn't do much for you. The top of the Peabody chair is the same elevation as the summit of BW. And the vertical drop available is pretty similar. There are plenty of good reasons to choose BW but I'm not sure this is one of them.

VTKilarney

I keep forgetting how much this should factor in when looking at a season pass. While Cannon is cheaper, there is a reason that it SHOULD be cheaper. Namely, the shorter season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cannon has a much different clientele than those areas and it has nothing to do with season length.

Cannonball

I was thinking more about Bretton Woods and Loon.

Understood. But if you think season length dictates pass price. What do you think Burke's pass should be?

Loon opened opened ~week and half before Cannon, and Cannon opened about 2 weeks before Burke (will). Why is Burke's pass more than Cannon's?

Bumpsis

I won't ski Cannon until they get some decent coverage up on top and the mountain is skiable top to bottom. For me, that's the big appeal of Cannon. It is my favorite mountain but skiing only small portions of it just doesn't interest me.
I don't give rat's behind if the "front 5" are open. Lapping the Zoomer chair quickly loses its appeal. These trails are just too short.

This whole approach of marketing the "front 5" just rubs me the wrong way. Obviously, this is the unspoken comparison to Stowe's "front 4" (National, Goat, Starr, Liftline), which are just some of the best trails in NE - long, steep, technically demanding and when moguled up, a real test of your endurance if you choose (or be capable) to ski them top to bottom.
Cannon's "front 5" may want to insinuate and suggest the "front-4" toughness, but it obviously doesn't deliver because it can't.

Having said that, I enjoy skiing it as a part of a larger packet, meaning the whole mountain when it's open.

VTKilarney

Understood. But if you think season length dictates pass price. What do you think Burke's pass should be?

Loon opened opened ~week and half before Cannon, and Cannon opened about 2 weeks before Burke (will). Why is Burke's pass more than Cannon's?
I'm not suggesting that Burke should be more.

snoseek

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

They opened for the 91-92 season in October, yes October with this method...upper cannon and tramway followed with Ravine. It was glorious!

Bostonian

from the snow report

Gunstock is top to bottom as of this morning.