• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lessons learned from this year...

Tin

So what did everyone learn?

1. I was fortunate enough to hit a lot of places this past season and learned a lot of good and bad about certain ski areas and weather/conditions. Next year I'm really planning on limiting myself to a few areas that I really fell in love with this year (Magic, MRG, Pico, and one bigger place like Sugarbush) to save money and hopefully ski even more.

2. I plan on spending less time skiing after those thaw-freeze days (because it seemed as though that was half of my time skiing this year).

3. Some of the best times I had skiing this year were with AZers and definitely want to do that more. It also makes for some great ballbusting on here and FB.

4. Get the GF some fat skis so she doesn't fear fresh snow (probably some Blizzard Black Pearls).

5. Don't get hurt.

crank

Chamonix is freaking awesome. I learned what I have been missing all these years by not skiing in Europe.

drjeff

1) It's a blast to go back and ski some smaller places that you haven't skied in well over a decade (I can thank a couple of the mountains that my daughter had races at this past ski season for that one!)

2) I was dumb not to have gotten hot-tronics installed in my boots a few seasons ago. They really made a difference on the slew of COLD days I skied this year, especially on my left foot which as I've gotten older has started to get cold more often in warmer and warmer temps

3) Bashing bumps on Outer Limits at Killington on a warm, late April Saturday when most other resorts had closed for the season is still as much fun as I remember it being 20 years ago

4) I think this was the last season that I can legitimately say that I can beat my kids down the majority of terrain on any mountain. And I'm OK with that! :)

JimG.

Staff member
Rabbit holes in the trees...go for it! Learning to be more adventurous.

Saw a small and very tight opening off the Cliff Trail at Stowe this past March. I was alone. There were a few tracks. Normally I would have backed off because I had no idea where it went. Jumped in anyway and it was a wormhole for the first 100 yards or so. But then it opened up a little and became a gully of tight but very skiable trees. Popped out right at the Gondola. Really fun and exciting.

jimk

Good topic with possibly educational value.
-Visited the town of Lake Placid for the first time this season. I'd rank it pretty high on the list of interesting Eastern ski towns. Was there on a weeknight in mid-March and it was actually pretty lively due to a college hockey tournament.
-Visited Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands during Christmas week and the crowds were VERY tolerable. Cost of lift tickets a little less tolerable:-?, but conditions were good and had fun at a peak time frame that can be unpleasantly crowded at many ski areas. Snowmass Cirque resize.jpg

-Learned about a good, cheap place to stay at Hunter Mtn called the Snowed Inn: http://www.snowedinnhunter.com/
-Still learning about my first ever 4WD vehicle. Got a new Subaru Outback last year and it performed well all winter including two major ski trips (4000 miles to CO and 1800 miles to New England).

Attachments

• 52cb555059006[1].jpg
    52cb555059006[1].jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Know when it's time to get new boots. Old and loose fitting boots can really mess you up. I always knew this but pretty much just kept brushing it off.

MadMadWorld

Rabbit holes in the trees...go for it! Learning to be more adventurous.

Saw a small and very tight opening off the Cliff Trail at Stowe this past March. I was alone. There were a few tracks. Normally I would have backed off because I had no idea where it went. Jumped in anyway and it was a wormhole for the first 100 yards or so. But then it opened up a little and became a gully of tight but very skiable trees. Popped out right at the Gondola. Really fun and exciting.

Rabbit holes + Stowe = amazing skiing.

xwhaler

Know when it's time to get new boots. Old and loose fitting boots can really mess you up. I always knew this but pretty much just kept brushing it off.

I'm with you on this MMW. Have had mine for prob 7 yrs now and over 225 days....I cant get them tight anymore. Have started looking for new options for next season.

Edd

I got much better about going slower, which is more work. I've never been super fast to begin with but I think it's good for my skiing.

wa-loaf

Get in better shape before ski season and do more to stay that way throughout the winter. Skied a lot with the kids so I didn't really work too hard on most of my trips so the few times I was on my own my fitness level held be back some. Still had a good time however!

ScottySkis

Take care of your lungs and body they are precaious. June is my getting into shape month so glad to have a Planet fitness less then 15 miles from where I live. I been their eveyday this week and plan on getting in shape for this coming season for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

dlague

Lesson #1: Take what the mountain gives you!

Often this season for one reason or another, I would leave after a day of skiing and feel like I missed some trails or bummed because the woods/bumps were refrozen. Sometimes the only options were groomers especially in January. I do not want to get all caught up in thinking skiing sucks because I have a bias towards a type of skiing, the mountain is too small, all the trails are refrozen, or there are not enough trails open - I will take what the mountain gives me from now on!

Lesson #2: Need to improve my skiing

I have worked hard to get my wife to ski more advanced terrain and she has stepped up to the plate (though sometimes begrudgingly). Meanwhile, I find myself being too cautious and as a result hold back in some circumstances. Example: if bumps are too tight I may do one run and avoid it rather than hitting it over and over again. I make my wife do that on steeper terrain - I should too with respect to bumps. Of course getting a ski with a softer tail might help too!

Lesson # 3: Just because I got a good discount does not mean it is cheaper

We have a bad habit of buying too many drinks and buying too much food at the ski area. While it is enjoyable - any saving experienced get used up in a different way. I need to get better about bringing my own beverages and munchies! Heck a 12 pack of PBR is cheap! However, I am more than likely going to drink Harpoon IPA.

Lesson #4: Work harder to ski with A Zoners.

hammer

• Follow others more (but not all the time)
  • When the mind says no, unless it's clearly dangerous, don't listen
  • Use pole plants to help getting the body forward on the ungroomed stuff
  • It can be fun to just point them downhill and let them run...but it doesn't take much talent
  • Popular big ski areas on weekends are OK but usually not worth the hassle
  • Have to get to Magic more often

MadMadWorld

• Follow others more (but not all the time)
  • When the mind says no, unless it's clearly dangerous, don't listen
  • Use pole plants to help getting the body forward on the ungroomed stuff
  • It can be fun to just point them downhill and let them run...but it doesn't take much talent
  • Popular big ski areas on weekends are OK but usually not worth the hassle
  • Have to get to Magic more often

I can't help but feel like a few us may have influenced some of these!

MadMadWorld

I'm with you on this MMW. Have had mine for prob 7 yrs now and over 225 days....I cant get them tight anymore. Have started looking for new options for next season.

It made a big difference for me. I had it narrowed down to the Technica Cochise and K2 Pinnacles. Both are great boots but I ended up with the Pinnacles because they just felt better.