• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift holds for Cold

2Planker

Has anyone actually ever died from exposure on a stalled lift? I sometimes worry about that. Also dehydration. And heart failure from over exertion. But I've been told I'm a hypochondriac. I would carry my own evac kit if I wasn't afraid I'd accidentally hang myself with it.

Back in the 80's, it was 35 below at Killington (without wind chill) The Killington Peak Double was running that day (i was on it)
No problem for a fixed grip in -30F. BUT the detatches all have major issues when it is that cold. Deicing is only part of the problem.
Bearings seize, any lube turns gummmie....

Kingslug20

They had the FourRunner closed that day. . . no chairs are on the line, in the pic. They'll close the lift some weekdays, if they're using the guns under the lift.

Checking their twitter feed, they also had Sensation on Spruce closed that day. Don't remember if it was because of the cold.
Hmm...must have been a different day I was there..
There was 1 day when only triple was running..then quad opened around 2...very cold storm..1 hour lift line..

Kingslug20

Atleast he could salvage some runs on Friday using either of their Gondolas or the Snowdon Bubble 6 to get some time out of the cold on the way up. Saturday there, those lifts, if they aren't on wind hold, are likely to have some BIG lines, even with a probably much smaller than usual mid Winter Saturday crowd
Maybe not ruined...just pretty sporty..

chuckstah

In March 2008 at Sugarloaf -25. They would not run chairs, but offered cat rides to 3T which they ran all day. I took the cat and made myself do 2 runs. We were renting at snowbrook which was well down the access road so my second run was "long" . They also offered everyone a voucher whether you skied or not. The voucher was transferrable so I gave it to a friend.
I must have been there the same day. Fun cat ride up, but riding the T and skiing was COLD. Lasted a few runs and down to the condos where we were staying as well. Only time I ever got frostbite. I don't remember vouchers but most likely had a pass. Hard pass on days like that now.

kendo

I’ve got a trip to Stowe planned for Friday and Saturday of this weekend, been in the books for 5 months, can’t refund the condo, etc. So of course it’s going to be cripplingly cold during the window we are supposed to ski.

Does anyone know at what temps they’ll hold lifts? I know the concern is having to evacuate a lift and riders sitting exposed for hours.

Lift closures announced for tomorrow:

Due to the cold temperatures, the Sensation Quad, Toll House Double and Lookout Double lifts are already closed tomorrow (Friday). Additional lift closures are probable due to wind and cold. If the FourRunner Quad can operate at full speed and opens, make sure to use the Octagon Lodge at the top to warm up. Or better yet, utilize the Gondola for a sheltered ride up the mountain or stick to any of the lower mountain lifts. If you do want to get a few laps in, make sure to cover all exposed skin, dress in layers, use hand/toe warmers, and take frequent breaks to warm up.

At this time there are 8 uphill lifts scheduled to spin tomorrow, along with the Over Easy Transfer Gondola. First chair is scheduled on both the FourRunner Quad and Sunrise Six at 8 AM. The Adventure Triple is expected to reopen tomorrow. Make sure to stay tuned to Stowe.com/Alerts for the most up-to-date lift status information tomorrow.

skiur

Killington limiting services Fri/Saturday

0"

• ALERTS​

FEBRUARY 3-4 LIFT OPERATION UPDATES​

We will open at 9:00 a.m. on both Friday, February 3 and Saturday, February 4 with limited operations. The following lifts are scheduled to spin: K-1 Express Gondola, Snowdon Six Express, Ramshead Express, Snowshed Express and Progression Carpet 1 at Ramshead. All other lifts will be closed due to weather. As conditions permit we may try and open more lifts on Saturday.

FEBRUARY 3-4 LODGE & SERVICES UPDATES​

Bear and Skyeship Base Lodges will be closed on Friday, February 3 and Saturday, February 4. The Peak Lodge will be open with limited services. The Tubing Park will be closed Friday and Saturday.

SNOW REPORT​

• 0"​

24 Hours

• 0"​

48 Hours

• 97"​

Total
      >

• FEBRUARY 3-4 LIFT OPERATION UPDATES
We will open at 9:00 a.m. on both Friday, February 3 and Saturday, February 4 with limited operations. The following lifts are scheduled to spin: K-1 Express Gondola, Snowdon Six Express, Ramshead Express, Snowshed Express and Progression Carpet 1 at Ramshead. All other lifts will be closed due to weather. As conditions permit we may try and open more lifts on Saturday.

FEBRUARY 3-4 LODGE & SERVICES UPDATES​

Bear and Skyeship Base Lodges will be closed on Friday, February 3 and Saturday, February 4. The Peak Lodge will be open with limited services.

SNOW REPORTER'S UPDATE​

February 2, 2023 - 04:00 pm
Howdy, Beast fans! February is here and we hope you are too. We are making operational changes for both Friday, February 3rd and Saturday, February 4th due to the extreme cold and unsafe weather in the forecast. We will open at 9:00 A.M. on both Friday and Saturday with limited operations. The following lifts are scheduled to spin: K-1 Express Gondola, Snowdon Six Express, Ramshead Express, Snowshed Express and Progression Carpet I at Ramshead. All other lifts will be closed due to weather. As conditions permit, we will try to open more lifts on Saturday. Bear and Skyeship Base Lodges will be closed on Friday and Saturday. The Peak Lodge will be open with limited services due to the difficult circumstances our team will encounter

Attachments

• 1675375512347.jpg
    1675375512347.jpg
    417 bytes · Views: 4

Juntaclause

Lift closures announced for tomorrow:

Due to the cold temperatures, the Sensation Quad, Toll House Double and Lookout Double lifts are already closed tomorrow (Friday). Additional lift closures are probable due to wind and cold. If the FourRunner Quad can operate at full speed and opens, make sure to use the Octagon Lodge at the top to warm up. Or better yet, utilize the Gondola for a sheltered ride up the mountain or stick to any of the lower mountain lifts. If you do want to get a few laps in, make sure to cover all exposed skin, dress in layers, use hand/toe warmers, and take frequent breaks to warm up.

At this time there are 8 uphill lifts scheduled to spin tomorrow, along with the Over Easy Transfer Gondola. First chair is scheduled on both the FourRunner Quad and Sunrise Six at 8 AM. The Adventure Triple is expected to reopen tomorrow. Make sure to stay tuned to Stowe.com/Alerts for the most up-to-date lift status information tomorrow.

Thanks for this. We are all getting in around midday - will asses and then make a call. Seems likely that more closures will happen, but we’ll see. Saturday we’re going for it, hoping for those winds to calm down over night.

NYDB

I've looked at a few ski mountain forecasts and it looks like the lowest temps I see on Friday night are at sugarloaf. negative 40 actual temp and negative 89 windchill at 4200 feet.

can't wait to see what mwobs actual observations come in at. they're predicting negative 50 actual temp with 100+ mile an hour winds. negative 100+ windchill.

eatskisleep

Wildcat closed. Good. Too dangerous for the workers or people if a lift breaks down and there needs to be an Evac.

drjeff

Mount Snow announced that on Friday they will be only the main face and Carinthia.

On Saturday the plan is to delay the opening an hour until 9, then start on the main face and Carinthia and then open up Sunbrook and the Northface at 11.

Obviously this is subject to change based on what they wind is or isn't doing and when the temps start rising on Saturday

Dickc

SR has closed White Heat and Aurora Quads and will not run weekend/holiday lifts Saturday. Others will depend on wind.
Sunday River has also stated they will use the extra personnel to spell the lifties more frequently to help keep them safe in the extreme cold.

Kingslug20

Never seen so many closures due to cold...going to be a doozy...

crippity

Was just looking through old photos, feb 14 2016 was minus 23 f at top of tremblant and was regular ski day. i know wind chill is going to be bad but day time temps dont look like this. dress the right way and go or dont go but closing.........

cdskier

Was just looking through old photos, feb 14 2016 was minus 23 f at top of tremblant and was regular ski day. i know wind chill is going to be bad but day time temps dont look like this. dress the right way and go or dont go but closing.........

They're not that far off from that. Mt Ellen at 8am on Saturday has a forecast of -21 with wind chill of -54. By noon on Saturday it is still only up to -12 with a -39 wind chill. NWS forecast for Jay puts it at -25/-60 at 8am and -17/-46 at noon at the summit on Saturday.

With temps like that, I have no issues with any ski areas opting to close upper mountain lifts or even completely.

Zermatt

This is likely wrong, or you misremembered or you aren't comparing apples to apples. I did ski at Tremblant once when it was very cold as well. I believe my car said -30 at our hotel, but I don't remember what mountain temps were (on calm, cold days it can be warmer up high) and if there was any wind.

Skiers and ski areas can tolerate very cold temperatures...without wind.

On top of that, why would you want to ski when it's that cold on hard packed trails. It's not skiing, it's survival.

djd66

Have we become a bunch of pussies? I do not EVER remember ski areas closing for cold weather. Here is Mass, city of Boston and city of Worcester closed the schools for the day. WTF? Sure, it’s cold - but I have definitely skied in weather like this.