• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift holds for Cold

Zermatt

Mount Washington just hit -46F. That’s the lowest temperature in NH since 1968! -50 will tie the New England record.

For everyone saying it’s not that bad I guess you were all skiing before 1968 when apparently it was much colder.

Also, they recorded a windchill of -107F. If verified that is the lowest windchill recorded in the United States. The whole US, including Alaska. Yes, windchill is complicated but keep in mind that extreme low temperatures (especially in the valleys) are correlated with very low winds. Usually calm mornings.

Also, Mount Washington is currently sitting in the stratosphere, but that’s a different discussion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Also, Mount Washington is currently sitting in the stratosphere, but that’s a different discussion.

Almost every news article says this, but none offer an explanation of why it is happening and what it means. Frustrating journalism. Saw one article make mention you can smell ozone, but that's about it. Those observatory caretaker nerds must be freaking out about that. Haha

Smellytele

Mount Washington just hit -46F. That’s the lowest temperature in NH since 1968! -50 will tie the New England record.

For everyone saying it’s not that bad I guess you were all skiing before 1968 when apparently it was much colder.

Also, they recorded a windchill of -107F. If verified that is the lowest windchill recorded in the United States. The whole US, including Alaska. Yes, windchill is complicated but keep in mind that extreme low temperatures (especially in the valleys) are correlated with very low winds. Usually calm mornings.

I didn't ski on Mount Washington before '68.

Edd

Gunstock’s plan was to operate normally today but all important lifts on delay due to severe cold.

1dog

I didn't ski on Mount Washington before '68.
Skied it from summit 2x- climbed it another 8-10 x, lost on it once- once on Adams in dense fog, couldn't see cairns, all after 1968 though. . . . still, Dodges Drop and Center Chute on on the bucket list. This is 1969 Tuckerman snow. load tho:

History on the Headwall: Mt. Washington's Tuckerman Ravine

KustyTheKlown

Thank you Loon Mountain for being about 100 percent open today and tomorrow!!! I'll be there for first gondi on Saturday!!!

• LAST UPDATED: FRIDAY, 04:10 PM

Trails​

• Lifts Open
      • Trails Open
      • Acres Open
  • Snow | Loon Peak​

• 0 "
      • 12 Hrs.
      • 1 "
      • 24 Hrs.
      • 3 "
      • 7 Days
  • Surface​

• MachineGroomed
      • Primary Surface
      • PackedPowder
      • Secondary Surface

It's Still Cold​

Despite the extreme temperatures, if you braved it today, we hope you enjoyed the solitude and rather chilly air.
Saturday, will remain cold but hopefully the abundant sunshine will make a difference. The morning is projected to be cold, with a high of –14 at the base and –26 at the summit, “warming” up to 3 degrees at the base, and –7 at the summit by the end of the day. Winds could impact lift operations in the morning, but they are expected to diminish throughout the day.
Layer up, cover all of your skin, and be sure to take frequent breaks. Maybe get a hot chocolate while you’re at it. 50 trails will be anticipating your turns starting at 8:00AM tomorrow.

It’s cute you believed loon would be fully operational at 8 AM.

All lifts down. Working on maybe running the 8.

Good job champ.

Smellytele

Skied it from summit 2x- climbed it another 8-10 x, lost on it once- once on Adams in dense fog, couldn't see cairns, all after 1968 though. . . . still, Dodges Drop and Center Chute on on the bucket list. This is 1969 Tuckerman snow. load tho:

History on the Headwall: Mt. Washington's Tuckerman Ravine's Tuckerman Ravine
Were people still wearing knickers to ski in 1969?

eatskisleep

History on the Headwall: Mt. Washington's Tuckerman Ravine's Tuckerman Ravine
Nice Dodge’s is on my list too. Need to have conditions line up properly.

Killingtime

Was just looking through old photos, feb 14 2016 was minus 23 f at top of tremblant and was regular ski day. i know wind chill is going to be bad but day time temps dont look like this. dress the right way and go or dont go but closing.........
Same thing when I went there. Low minus 20's, no wind, perfect blue skies. Everything was open like a regular day. Two or three runs and duck into a lodge for 15 minutes to warm up with a hot chocolate. Repeat throughout the day. Was happy to pay for underground parking at the hotel near the base. Toasty at about 25 degrees.

eatskisleep

I know a lot of us are anti lodge or pro booting up at the car. But on a cold day like today, I’d rather not have my feet exposed to the cold air outside lol

KustyTheKlown

I’m not skiing today but I still wouldn’t dress in the lodge if I was.

Once at Tremblant, cold sort of like today, maybe less wind, my boot froze in the car on the 20 min drive to the hill. I couldn’t force my foot in for the life of me. I went into a shop so they could bake the boot for a minute. Only time cold forced me to use lodge.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

I don't boot up anywhere for a cold start like today. Hence why I am posting here and getting ready to hit some breweries.

Just did a 2 hour gym session, cleaning the apt, going for groceries, making a nice dinner later, enjoying some whiskeys and cannabises, and skiing windham tomorrow. No reason to go out today and contend with operational challenges and uncomfortable weather. Tomorrow is day25. Halfway point. Taking next weekend off too for life stuff. Second half of season starts in Jackson on feb18. I’m content as fuck.

Juntaclause

Went for it yesterday with the crew. The sunrise lift was the only operating lift for the day, which is fair for them to consolidate mountain ops and patrollers. Mostly calm winds and sunshine helped, not exactly why we chose Stowe but what can ya do? Here’s hoping we avoid these temps from here on out.

Granite1

Ski areas everywhere did a great job on Saturday planning and keeping everyone safe, limiting lifts and making sure their employees were treated well. I have heard of no problems of skiers/employees being affected by the cold. A lot of good conversation about skiing in the cold weather in the lodges and at the lifts. A lift operator at Stratton on Sunday told me they were not allowed to be out for more than 10 minutes at a time on Saturday. After Saturday's adventure in the cold, I had a great day on Sunday at Stratton, top to bottom runs to start the day. By 11 am the lower mountain was setting up really nice, by 1 pm the sun was out, and I spent most of the afternoon there leisurely skiing greens and blues and ducking into the woods in places. Hardly any lift lines. I lapped the Solstice 4 a few times and half way up on the right there was a moose standing in the woods. I yelled at it for tracking up my powder stashes over there.

Attachments

• OOPD8837.JPG
    OOPD8837.JPG
    523.8 KB · Views: 14