• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift Towers on Greenline=New lift?

So what's the deal with the lift towers over Greenline? I went to Magic for the first time over the weekend and as I explored the Greenline/Disapearing Act area I saw towers that seem ready for chairs. Are these new or a failed project of the past?

Last edited:

gmcunni

i heard installing (reinstalling?) that lift is high on the priority list. sounded odd to me but the explanation was that they needed it to provide access to easy trails, not forcing people to the top.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There was a lift there back in the day. If its the one that I think it is, then it's a long drawn out ordeal from the previous owners. They bought a used Borvig chair from Stratton and started to put it up themselves back in the early and mid-2000's.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's unfortunate they got rid of the chairlift over on Little Dipper too. That was a nice little learning area. I learned how to Snowboard there back in the 1980s. At the time Magic and Stratton were the only areas that allowed snowboarding in VT. You had to get "Certified" on that learning terrain to ride the Upper Mountain lifts and IIRC they'd stamp your lift ticket when you were deemed proficient enough to ride the upper mountain. They were also super paranoid about leashes on snowboards and the lifties would grab the leash every lift ride to make sure it was securely attached to your leg. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that anyone on skis could go straight to the top their first day out, but a snowboarder had to jump through hoops.

ScottySkis

It's unfortunate they got rid of the chairlift over on Little Dipper too. That was a nice little learning area. I learned how to Snowboard there back in the 1980s. At the time Magic and Stratton were the only areas that allowed snowboarding in VT. You had to get "Certified" on that learning terrain to ride the Upper Mountain lifts and IIRC they'd stamp your lift ticket when you were deemed proficient enough to ride the upper mountain. They were also super paranoid about leashes on snowboards and the lifties would grab the leash every lift ride to make sure it was securely attached to your leg. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that anyone on skis could go straight to the top their first day out, but a snowboarder had to jump through hoops.

Why leashes, how is a snowboard going to escape ones feet? I would not want to see that happen.

xwhaler

I agree with DHS that getting the lift over in the learning area would be a much better play than adding chairs on Green Line. To be honest I'm not sure I really see the value in Green Line at any time even if they were flush with cash. Magic Carpet is a nice area for ppl to learn on which funnels right into the terrain served by the Green Line pod.

To me the priority check list at Magic would go like this:
1) Continue to expand snowmaking----I think those who have been the mtn this yr can recognize and appreciate the increased snowmaking that has gone on this yr. Getting Talisman and Wizard open and staying open all season on the west side is a really good thing. A family can now ski the West Side all year long together as a family with the advanced rippers going down the blacks and the intermediates taking Tali/Wizard and meeting at the trail junctions.

2) Ensure Red/Black are operational at all times....the mtn is slowly building up good will and more folks are discovering what makes it more special for all ability levels. The negative publicity of lifts going down for any extended period of time can really hurt for potential customers down the line. They are old lifts so I'm sure its not cheap to keep them going but it's key to have Red going at all times and Black as a back up option.

3) Lift on Little Dipper....I wonder if they could re-purpose some of the towers from Green Line to help save costs?

4) Continue marketing to families as a lower cost, more laid back alternative to the "McResorts" nearby.

I think they are on the right path for sure---I can say I've personally introduced 6 ppl to Magic in the last 2 yrs who all loved it. None of them had heard of Magic in the past but certainly now have it on their radar.

jrmagic

Trailboss is correct on the green line story. The only reason its somewhat high on the list is because of how much has already been done. The only advantage I see is giving racers access to that chair which will clear some congestion and also open the possibility of offering them a summit lift ticket for some reduced amount. Id rather see the money used elsewhere too.

Their goal for little dipper and rabbit run is to get a magic carpet over there to make a true beginner area. This winter some kids from our condo complex built a terrain park in there which my kids enjoyed. It has some rails, barrels and jumps.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Magic carpet all the way to the top of Little Dipper? Great marketing opportunity. "Take the world's longest magic carpet ride! Only at Magic Mountain!". :lol:

xwhaler

and also open the possibility of offering them a summit lift ticket for some reduced amount.

Offering the racers a separate ticket to the top? Wouldn't they already have a ticket by virtue of being on the hill? Or do they basically ski for free on race days and you are suggesting that if they wanted to access the entire mtn a separate ticket could be created to generate some revenue?
Or are you saying they could use Green Line to add a lower mtn ticket that everyone could use? I guess both options would be smart depending on the cost to bring Green Line back.

jrmagic

Offering the racers a separate ticket to the top? Wouldn't they already have a ticket by virtue of being on the hill? Or do they basically ski for free on race days and you are suggesting that if they wanted to access the entire mtn a separate ticket could be created to generate some revenue?
Or are you saying they could use Green Line to add a lower mtn ticket that everyone could use? I guess both options would be smart depending on the cost to bring Green Line back.

I was talking about an upcharge to the racers. I don't think they would offer a lower mountain ticket but I suppose they could as part of a beginner package with rental and lesson. I'm not sure what they charge the racers now. It may not be free but I'm fairly certain its not full price. Maybe Doc will check in as his daughter raced on Sunday.

drjeff

FYI, the race fee (that included her lift ticket) for my daughter this pasr Sunday at Magic was $25 (same as it has been at all her other races, but the racer needs to be a member of the US Ski/Snowbaord Association (USSSA) and the Vermont Alpine Racing Association (VARA) too). The resort hosting the race typically will offer 1 family member a discount ticket for each racer they have. Magic offered a $35 family member ticket. Personally, since I want to see Magic do as well as possible, I declined the parent discount ticket and bought regular priced tickets for my son and I at the ticket window.

The thoery behind the dicsount family member ticket is that most of the time as a parent you spend just standing around and helping you kid get ready/watching the race/waiting in between runs and waiting for awards that you really don't ski very much during th day

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hope that they can get this and other projects done. They have a lot of passionate support and management has had to deal with a lot of problems. I know we gave them tough love earlier this year with the chair fiasco, but it looks like they took it in stride and learned from it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think this dates back to the old school snap in snowboard bindings.

??? Not sure I understand or remember what you are referring to. I had one of the very first commercially available snowboards at the time. Burton elite 150 with the split tail and fin on the bottom. Bindings were screw mounted to the board and the boot straps were ratchet style. I think it was just general fear and ignorance

MadMadWorld

??? Not sure I understand or remember what you are referring to. I had one of the very first commercially available snowboards at the time. Burton elite 150 with the split tail and fin on the bottom. Bindings were screw mounted to the board and the boot straps were ratchet style. I think it was just general fear and ignorance

Well I guess some people still use them but I rarely see them....I also remember snowboard bindings that just had a singular metal clip that hooked on to the bottom part of the snowboard boot around the arch area. Those all needed runaway straps for sure.

strap-in.jpg

In my search for a photo, I also found this new design. Not sure if this will catch on or not.

untitled.jpg

skifree

bought me daughter a new board last year and it came with a leash.

she uses it to drag board rather then carry it.