• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog Reports that Smuggs and Stowe are Exploring an Interconnect Gondola

crank

Smuggs antique lifts are already overwhelmed on weekends. It only makes sense if Vail is buying Smuggs.

machski

Well, Vail owns the operating company that is Stowe Mountain Resort, but most of the land is leased from the State (and Vail did not get a lot of the real estate IIRC). So that kind of defeats that argument.
Vail got zero of Stowe's real estate. And that is possibly why they want Smuggs more, for all of their lodging real estate. But to access Stowe, they have to be able to transport guests (this, the interconnect).

I wish them luck, the hiking groups will crucify this plan as it crosses the Long Trail in an area currently devoid of development/mechanical things. I mean, LBO had to totally reroute the AT/LT at his expense to get the Pico/K merger approved. Granted there were trails in that plan, but the hiking set didn't want to hike under a lift either.

thetrailboss

Staff member
IMG_1674.jpegI wish them luck, the hiking groups will crucify this plan as it crosses the Long Trail in an area currently devoid of development/mechanical things. I mean, LBO, the Greatest Ski Developer there ever was, had to totally reroute the AT/LT at his expense to get the Pico/K merger approved. Granted there were trails in that plan, but the hiking set didn't want to hike under a lift either.

“Fixed it for you, bro!”

😆😆😆

RH29

Smuggs antique lifts are already overwhelmed on weekends. It only makes sense if Vail is buying Smuggs.
They had an Act 250 permit for a 6 pack on Sterling. I assume that would go along with the gondola, along with trail widenings/combinations on Sterling.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They had an Act 250 permit for a 6 pack on Sterling. I assume that would go along with the gondola, along with trail widenings/combinations on Sterling.
I wonder if it is still an active permit? I know they had one issued many years ago but (obviously) did not act on it.

KustyTheKlown

Vail got zero of Stowe's real estate. And that is possibly why they want Smuggs more, for all of their lodging real estate. But to access Stowe, they have to be able to transport guests (this, the interconnect).

I wish them luck, the hiking groups will crucify this plan as it crosses the Long Trail in an area currently devoid of development/mechanical things. I mean, LBO had to totally reroute the AT/LT at his expense to get the Pico/K merger approved. Granted there were trails in that plan, but the hiking set didn't want to hike under a lift either.

the more detailed article i saw mentioned rerouting the long trail to elephants head trail for a mile

RH29

And as much as I despise Alterra, I’d die of laughter if the gondola was approved and Alterra bought Smuggs to spite Vail! 😆😆😆😆
Not sure which is worse, Vail hordes kicking into overdrive (Stowe traffic will be INSANE) or $250 lift tickets.

Edd

Some Vail acquisitions make sense and are a good fit for their portfolio, like Mt Snow or Okemo. Those regular skiers likely delight in cheaper passes and access to other hills.

The kind of skier that makes a place like Smuggs their home mountain....those guys are mostly going to fucking haaaaaate this idea.

machski

the more detailed article i saw mentioned rerouting the long trail to elephants head trail for a mile
Yeah, saw that as well in a more detailed account after I posted. Still think that crowd will rebel and protest if this moves beyond permit study status

Also, kind of a pathetic hourly capacity at just 1200PH. Granted that is in each direction, but still.

KustyTheKlown

i agree completely. the map of the proposed lift line cuts across the top of the bowls. there would be substantial clearing along the routes into the sidecountry. i worry that it would ruin the smuggs sidecountry experience.

this was the first year I didn't go to smuggs at all in a while. i fucking love smuggs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Be interested to see what the state says. I bet this gets hung up in the courts for a long time.

Hope it fails. This just sets the stage for Smuggs to be sold to Vail.

Hmm....that's interesting. The real question though, what is their ultimate plan? What's the mutual benefit to do this? Almost seems like Vail is trying to buy Smuggs, but perhaps only wants to do it if they can link the resorts first.

Can't help but think this is some sort of precursor to Vail acquiring Smuggs and make the two into a mega-resort. Haven't been to Smuggs in 30+ years. Is the infrastructure still ancient?

edit: we're all thinking the same thing:)

This is... surprising. I can't think of a rationale for this plan that isn't "preparation for selling Smuggs to Vail". Which would also be surprising, one would think Vail would be the absolute last place that an operation so invested in their throwback, "pure skiing" character would want to sell to. On the other hand, I'm sure Vail would offer quite a kingly sum for the opportunity to create what would be one of the largest resorts in the East. But that only works if they can get the interconnect gondola approved, which is presumably why they're going through that process now.
I'm just assuming Vail will waste no time replacing M1, Sterling and Morse (at least) with detachable quads, and everyone will piss and moan, but at least that way I'll be able to bring my kid there. (Smuggs is an absolute disaster if you're a solo parent with a kid in ski school; the one time I tried this I got in three runs on Madonna and Sterling, on a day with zero lines, before I had to go pick them up.)

Of course Vail is eying up the connect and purchase. You'd be an idiot to not be. It would be the biggest thing in right coastal skiing and would crush Killington's "Beast" status.

"It's been a while, but damn, you guys are good and know that Smuggs is the apple of my eye! In fact, I have a little song for the Stritzler Family and Smuggs--sing along with me now!"

"When you call my name, it's like a little prayer. I'm down on my skis, I want to take you there! In the midnight hour, I can feel your power. Just like a prayer YOU KNOW I'LL TAKE YOU THERE!"

katz-atd-1240x716.jpg

Last edited:

cdskier

"It's been a while, but damn, you guys are good and know that Smuggs is the apple of my eye! In fact, I have a little song for the Stritzler Family and Smuggs--sing along with me now!"

"When you call my name, it's like a little prayer. I'm down on my skis, I want to take you there! In the midnight hour, I can feel your power. Just like a prayer I WANNA TAKE YOU THERE!"

katz-atd-1240x716.jpg

LOL.

Apparently when my cousin was at Smuggs this season he had heard that Bill Stritzler was out in Vail at the time meeting with them about something...

danimals

Just looked at the area on google maps. They make it sound like the pond is in some pristine wilderness area, yet it's sandwiched between ski trails with snowmaking infrastructure, and the sterling lifts all but goes right up to the pond. based on the renderings, you would see part of one tower from the pond. If anything it would keep people away from the pond during ski season.

I am fully prepared to get torn apart for this take.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.11.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.11.15 AM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 24

KustyTheKlown

have you ever skied the bowls? or smuggs? based on that post i assume the answer is no.

its not about it being a pristine wilderness. its not a pristine wilderness. its heavily trafficked because its access to one of the best sidecountry zones in all of new england. massive clearing and a lift running thru there would totally suck and traffic in the smuggs side bowls would increase with a bunch of jerrys and joeys who get eyes on the terrain for the first time in their lives.

thetrailboss

Staff member
LOL.

Apparently when my cousin was at Smuggs this season he had heard that Bill Stritzler was out in Vail at the time meeting with them about something...
Well, there you go. That seems pretty clear what is going on here. Makes since because the guy is getting old and I imagine his family may not be interested in the ski business and they are in need of an exit plan. Vail is the obvious suiter.

thetrailboss

Staff member
its not about it being a pristine wilderness. its not a pristine wilderness. its heavily trafficked because its access to one of the best sidecountry zones in all of new england. massive clearing and a lift running thru there would totally suck and traffic in the smuggs side bowls would increase with a bunch of jerrys and joeys who get eyes on the terrain for the first time in their lives.

"Hey now, jerrys and joeys are our BEST customers! And, most importantly, are my best friends. Haters gonna hate!"

a674dd99c791837e8b59af3107a7d217

Last edited: