• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LOAF Opens this Weekend !!

Cannonball

Interesting, last year it was Loon nipping at SR. This year the Loaf, Loon still showing Nov 14 target. Interesting shifts in the family

Last year I don't think it was so much about Loon nipping at SR, as much as Loon getting completely upstaged by BW and needing to save some face.

jerryg

It has everything to due to the coming massive increase in energy cost they will all face. SL never makes this much snow this early. This will be their earliest opening since right before LBO owned them. They normally open a week + later than this, but with the amount of snow they've made and passholders that want to ski it, they will deliver on it. And I think they will look to expand terrain much faster than in years' past or regardless of skier traffic.

Last year I don't think it was so much about Loon nipping at SR, as much as Loon getting completely upstaged by BW and needing to save some face.

snoseek

From what I can see loaf is the place to be with both Tote and Kings landing going from the superquad....blows anything out of the water right now

jerryg

well then you clearly can't see! Rime and Reason are tits better than 1700 vert on an HSQ and civil liftlines! :popcorn:

From what I can see loaf is the place to be with both Tote and Kings landing going from the superquad....blows anything out of the water right now

SIKSKIER

They're really upping their game this year.

2012 they opened Nov 9 which was the earliest since 2007.I don't know what that date was but it had to be earlier than the 9th.They pretty much shoot for the middle of November for the last 10 years which is only 1 week away.

Last edited:

machski

I'm sure the electric rate hike is playing into this, but wonder if Diller's retirement after this season has anything to do with the Loaf's early start as well?

bobbutts

I'd say Loon is opening as soon as they can this year. It's not like they sat out a snowmaking window, it's been too warm. I wouldn't be surprised if they out-mileage Killington too for next weekend.

WWF-VT

"Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! That's right Sugarloafers, we're planning to open this Sunday morning at 8:30am.....Conditions permitting, we plan to start loading the SuperQuad at 8:30am Sunday morning to access Tote Road and Kings Landing....After Sunday, the mountain will close during the week to allow our snowmakers and groomers to do their thing and build on the existing surfaces. Assuming the weather cooperates, we plan to reopen the following weekend (November 15-16th) and then open daily for the season starting Friday, November 21st."

Savemeasammy

Nicely done, Sugarloaf. It's great to see they are doing this, even though it will likely be only locals on the hill. I will be curious to read a report and hear how the skiing was, and how busy it was.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app