• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lodging in Rutland?

Edd

Any recommendations? Tripadvisor's best reviewed places are Hampton and Best Western. Fine by me frankly but I'd think there would be some non-chains which are nice. Clueless about Killington area.

skifree

I have stayed at holiday inn Rutland a few times. Clean/comfortable/nice pool and bar. Complimentary full breakfast.
Pricey side if solo ($100 + or~). Usually go with a family of 4 so breakfast alone makes it worth it. This time if year you might score cheap digs right on access road though. Have fun.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Two weekends ago we stayed at the (not so) Quality Inn and spent time in friends rooms staying at the Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn and Red Roof Inn. Red Roof was the worst of the bunch; Holiday Inn the best of the bunch. Only reason we stayed in Rutland was to be walking distance from the moe. shows at the Spartan arena. If I were going strictly to ski Killington, I would be staying up on the access road where I could use the Bus to get around to the bars. Rutland is essentially Rochester, NH on steroids. Really no reason to hang out there.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Two weekends ago we stayed at the (not so) Quality Inn and spent time in friends rooms staying at the Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn and Red Roof Inn. Red Roof was the worst of the bunch; Holiday Inn the best of the bunch. Only reason we stayed in Rutland was to be walking distance from the moe. shows at the Spartan arena. If I were going strictly to ski Killington, I would be staying up on the access road where I could use the Bus to get around to the bars. Rutland is essentially Rochester, NH on steroids. Really no reason to hang out there.

Actually I like Rutland, nice choice of restaurants, not quite as expensive or crowded as in Killington. With regards to Hotels, have stayed at Best Western, pretty good. Also have stayed at Comfort Inn as well as Red Roof Inn, not quite as nice as Best Western, but rooms are clean breakfast included and not as expensive as some of the others. I get all my rooms through Priceline to save money, bid on rooms so in that case I typically don't get to pick hotel just rating. Do want to try Hampton or Holiday Inn

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually I like Rutland, nice choice of restaurants, not quite as expensive or crowded as in Killington. With regards to Hotels, have stayed at Best Western, pretty good. Also have stayed at Comfort Inn as well as Red Roof Inn, not quite as nice as Best Western, but rooms are clean breakfast included and not as expensive as some of the others. I get all my rooms through Priceline to save money, bid on rooms so in that case I typically don't get to pick hotel just rating. Do want to try Hampton or Holiday Inn

I suppose Rutland might seem kind of quaint if you're visiting from Jersey. :razz:

Edd

Thanks guys. Sounds like the chains have got it locked down. Stayed in worse. Much worse.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Having worked there for three years, I'd agree with Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, or Comfort Inn and Suites which is off of Allen Street. Lots of seedy and unsafe options.

As for Killington proper, consider Mountain Green or Inn of the Six Mountains. I've stayed at these and they are nice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
:lol:

Probably in three weeks or so. Closing out Gunstock this weekend. Plan on Sugarbush on the 14th and then hopefully at least a couple of Sunday's at Killington to finish out the season.

abc

Even though I'm a Holiday Inn type of gal (have lots of points), I had also stayed in Best Western and Comfort Inn, and found them perfectly adequate. Of the 2, I like the BW a little better because it's 5 minutes closer to the mountain, quieter too. :)

witch hobble

Rutland is essentially Rochester, NH on steroids. Really no reason to hang out there.

Rutland over Rochester any day! I agree it is not "quintessential VT", but it is nicely situated between the Taconics and the Green Mtn spine.

Little Harry's is nice for dinner. It is the downtown location for the popular Okemo area eatery in Mt. Holly.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Rutland over Rochester any day! I agree it is not "quintessential VT", but it is nicely situated between the Taconics and the Green Mtn spine.

Little Harry's is nice for dinner. It is the downtown location for the popular Okemo area eatery in Mt. Holly.

Little harry's is very good, I would also reccomend Table 24

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
My ex is a Rutland native so we have stayed in pretty much in every flea bag motel. One thing interesting most of the motels are now owned by families from India. Great business people but not too good on customer service. We liked staying at the Happy Bear on the kmart access road. Totally old school, great location and reasonable rates. We also liked the Nordic Inn, a couple of miles up Rt 4 from downtown.

ScottySkis

I used to stay in the Super 8 just south of town, for like &45 a night with AAA discount several years ago when temperatures was to cold to sleep in the car.

4aprice

I stay in Rutland (Rutvegas) quite a bit because its close to CSC as well as the ski areas. I find the Red Roof to be pretty good most of the time with a good breakfast. Recently we stayed at the Clarion which took over what was a Ramada Limited. Was a dump but improved quite a bit under new ownership (Clarion). Not sure where I will stay this coming weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SkiRaceParent

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Rutland for a race a few weeks back and it was really nice, also walking distance to the 99, the best meal in town :).