• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a Lake Placid like town other then Lake Placid in the North East

SteveT

Hey Everyone,
Trying to organize a trip this winter. Been to Lake Placid the past couple years and had a blast. Looking to do something different this year. Anyone know of any ski towns that have a main drag like Lakp Placid? Been to Killington, Okemo, Mt Snow and some others but haven't found any of those places to have a walking like village. We like to take one day and just hang around town.
Your input is appreciated.
Thanks.

Savemeasammy

I'm not at all familiar with Lake Placid, but I like N.Conway, NH as a ski town.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was going to suggest Stowe or North Conway for New England. For out west I'd say either Aspen or Park City.

gladerider

stowe is close, but nothing quite like LP. in fact, stowe has far better food.
fake, but tremblant is great. but again, it is not the same as LP. in fact, i like tremblant better.
i have not seen any other ski town in the NE that has a main drag like LP. it is very unique.

jaytrem

Quebec City could maybe work. Definitely a lot going on in winter. Much bigger than Lake Placid though.

VTKilarney

Tremblant may be different, but it really is something everyone should see. What's great about it is that you don't have to get in your car to get the village vibe when you are done skiing.

WzGy44

I would have to agree with most of the answers here. Stowe or North Conway are the best. North Conway definitely has some more options for skiing where as Stowe you just have, well, Stowe (not that Stowe isn't awesome). If you stay in North Conway you have two old time baby mountains in Cranmore and Black. You have Attitash, Brettonwoods (awesome glades) and even a little further Cannon, which has a backside peak that has some good ungroomed skiing (for now). Then there's Wildcat. Nothing beats wildcat on a powder day.

Of course you could drive to wildcat, black out, turn left instead of right and start hiking up the trail in the backside of that building. I heard there's a bowl or ravine or something back there somewhere :daffy:

jimk

Quebec City could maybe work. Definitely a lot going on in winter. Much bigger than Lake Placid though.

QC. or even closer to skiing Sainte Anne de Beaupre

Stowe and North Conway are good, but both require commute to ski areas like Lake Placid. Never been to Tremblant, but village adjacent to skiing has its appeal. I have done the Quebec City ski safari and highly recommend it if your group is up for crossing the border. You could stay slopeside at Mont Sainte Anne and do a couple days there. Go to Quebec City for a fun "rest day" about 30 mins up river, tons of restaurants and shops in historic old town area. Then ski a couple days at Le Massif about 30 mins down river from MSA. The "Lord of the Rings" type scenery around Le Massif will blow your socks off.
Copy of le massif la couillon.jpg
Old trip reports:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1145
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1123&mode=headlines

crank

Tremblant is sort of like a skiers Epcot, I have heard it called Disney du nord. However, the fake Euro style mountain village is filled with great restaurants and bars and interesting shops. Unlike Disney, the businesses in town are run mostly by individual owners. Much of the appeal there, for me, is that you park you car when you get there and don;t see it again until you are leaving. Decent skiing on a good sized mountain that gets less snow than VT but just about always escapes our thaw/freeze cycles.

Quebec City is one of my favorite ski safari destinations and everyone should visit at least once.

Stowe and North Conway, as everyone has said will be the closest to the Lake Placid experience.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Stowe and North Conway have walkable sections, but don't really have the sustained walkable downtown area that Lake Placid has. Tremblent or Quebec City are good ideas. Ellicottville, NY is a great town with some mediocre mountains. Manchester, VT (with trips to Bromley, Stratton, and Magic) is probably a good choice.

Really, I think if you're looking for the town, why not just pick a nice small city relatively close to skiing? Burlington, VT?

SteveT

Thank-You everyone very much. Looks like we'll go for Stowe. Tremblant sounds pretty cool as well. Will do more research on that and maybe hit it next year. Anyone ever stay at TopNotch hotel in Stowe? Now looking for a hotel.
Thanks Again!!!