• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a new pair of skis

Joshua

The time has come to move on to a new set of skis.

I am currently skiing on Salomon Pilot with S-710 bindings and have had them for three + years.

I am looking for an advanced ski that has better powder ability than my current skis but can still ski well through ice and hard pack.

I would like to stick with the pilot system but am looking for suggestions...feel free to post your thoughts

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I am looking for an advanced ski that has better powder ability than my current skis but can still ski well through ice and hard pack.
a lot of skis out there would fit the bill for this type of description. you were in the trees, iirc, at kmart so something quick and turny and responsive is in order. i am partial to the dynastar legend 8000 for this type of demand. also great skis to look into include the elan m666, and volkl unlimited (ac3 or ac4). trailboss likes his heads which are also worth looking into. i'd highly recommend hitting up a demo day and ask each rep for their best high performance mid-fat.

Joshua

yeah, i do a lot of tree skiing. Currently I am skiing 171's but I think 165's would be better for me.

Any out there have experience with Solomon? I really love my solomon's, especially the pilot system.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Height and Weight are NOT the sole criteria. Some skis are meant to be skied short, others need to be a little longer. In the early years of "shaped" skis, height and weight were much more important. My 177cm's ski almost identical to my 161cm skis as far as the maneuverablity and the control. The key here is to demo a variety of skis in a variety of lengths. I'm 5'9", but I will NOT tell my weight.

IMO- test skis between 160 and 175cm.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Height and Weight are NOT the sole criteria.
no, but it is a VERY good indicator in most situations and more important than most other factors when selecting ski size. the other important aspect has already been stated, Joshua seems to be an expert skier that enjoys natural snow and trees. for example if joshua said he was 6' and 180 pounds i think the 171 would be a no brainer compared to 165 :eek: ya know?

that said, you could go either way and teachski's comment about demoing is solid. going into powder on short skis is just as problematic as being a little long in the trees. definitely get the best size that feels right to you. personally, i think the trend for always going shorter is very over rated. it's all about what works for you and your style.

Joshua

i do feel sometimes i cant get my skis around fast enough in the back for turns

i am gonna try to demo a few skis but i really want to get a new pair asap, i have simply outskied the ones i have now

teachski

Website
teachski.com
OK, that said...
In a stiffer ski it's better to err a little shorter than too long.
My Volkl 6*'s are 161cm, I am a strong skier...I skip the bumps by choice...I have an old knee injury and do not want to upset it.

On a softer ski, you may want to go with a longer ski. I'm about the same height as you and I have a 177cm (in a softer, more forgiving) Bandit X ski.

Buy 2 pair, a short stiff pair and a longer not as stiff pair.