• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for ski resorts/mountains with a lot of greens and blues

thetrailboss

Staff member
Beardown I think.

When the glades are good Stratton is amazing. The clientele does not go in there and it stays fresh forever. West Pilot could also very well be top 5 longest glades in the East.
So granted I got free tickets, and granted it was a great spring day back in 2006, but I was pretty impressed by Stratton. It was fun for what it was. Insane lifts and nice terrain. Lots of crazy expert stuff? No. I also was not a big fan of it before giving it a fair shake.

MadPadraic

Bretton Woods is the default answer for a resort full of Greens and Easy Blues. Okemo is a little bit tougher. While Okemo does not have much black diamond terrain at all, and is filled with blues everywhere. Some of the blues have some difficult sections for beginners/low intermediates. Bretton Woods is more consistently pitched for beginners/low intermediates.
Story about Okemo's relative lack of challenge: I once broke both straps on my front foot binding about 60 feet into a run. I flipped it around, and rode switch the whole way down with my (now) back foot free. I made it down just fine, but my day was over waiting for a repair.

Smellytele

I'm going to go against the grain and once again point out the awesomeness of Cannon (more for blue than green). It doesn't have the same number of blues that Okemo or BW will have, but what it has is freaking superb.

First off, the Tuckerbrook family area is awesome. Two little lifts, great fun trails, and they tend not to have Cannon's well known ice. From the summit, there is Upper Cannon, which is basically the best blue trail in the world (though I haven't ridden them all). If you pace it right, you can basically only turn when the trail turns, which is crazy crazy fun. Vista Way has great views and has a "big mountain" feel while being very manageable. Upper Ravine is very similar to Upper Cannon, but favors a different side. Cannon is best skiied/ridden in pods, and Middle Cannon, rock garden, etc should be avoided. On the front five pod, you've got Rocket and Gary's which are fairly wide, but have great fall lines and lake views. The end of day run down from the Zoomer triple to the main base is quite fun. There are also some very approachable intermediate woods.

Due to proximity, you can pair Cannon with a day at Loon or BW.
While I love Cannon, their blues are on the upper tier of blue and would be blacks at BW

icecoast1

Beardown I think.

When the glades are good Stratton is amazing. The clientele does not go in there and it stays fresh forever. West Pilot could also very well be top 5 longest glades in the East.
Yeah, Beardown can be fun when they leave it ungroomed. Glades at Stratton can be really fun if you know where to go

nycskier

I agree with the Butternut suggestion. It's smaller but it's blue and green heaven for beginners. Depending where you are in RI it could be close enough for a day trip and they got $35 midweek lift tickets.

Okemo is also blue heaven Lots of long blue trails but expect it to busy on weekends.

And since you are in RI remember Yawgoo Valley exists. If you are starting skiing dont overlook small local mountains that are close to you. Go there after work or an off day for a couple of hours of practice. it will set you up to ski bigger and harder stuff.