• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost ski areas

Savemeasammy

I skied Tenney once, and never felt compelled to go back. It seems like it could compete for the same sort of traffic that Ragged gets. Neither mountain is particularly challenging, however I think the reality is that most of skiers/riders out there aren't into the really challenging stuff anyway... It would seem like Tenney's accessibility from 93, and it's proximity to the services in Plymouth could make it viable. Hell, Ragged is successful, and it's out in the friggin' middle of nowhere!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Tenney isn't your typical 1000 foot hill. It has a flat upper mountain that goes on and on and on. I'd have to look it up but I'm guessing that lift was close to 5000 feet long.

They would either need to break up the mountain into upper and lower pods or get a much faster lift. The hornet double is absolutely brutal.

Interesting. After growing up skiing a lot at the original BEast, Berkshire East, I've always used their rough stats as a gauge of a good, relatively steep pitch: 1000' vert with a 4000' line length.

VTKilarney

I've always thought that Tenney could have tried to be a Bretton Woods south. They would have had an advantage in that they are about 40 minutes farther south.

MadMadWorld

How's river doing? Does he still plan on remaining in self exile from AZ?

My experience at Tenney was that beginning and intermediate families chose Tenney over loon of water ville primarily due to lack of crowds.

I just met him the other day when Savemeasammy setup a meetup at MRG. I talked to him briefly about forum stuff but his exile never came up.

My bro went to PSU and he told me was able to ski there for a dollar. Pretty sweet

skifree

hit Tenney once a few years back on a powder day. found some really nice glades while my kids got a group lesson of 2.
nice family mountain.

Savemeasammy

And Crotched competes against WaWa, Ragged, Pats, and Sunapee. All of them except for Pats have a detachable lift.

I would love to see a HSQ at Pats. On of the biggest frustrations is the amount of time spent on the lift relative to time spent on the hill.

They are pretty successful as-is, so this is just a pipe-dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

And Crotched competes against WaWa, Ragged, Pats, and Sunapee. All of them except for Pats have a detachable lift.

Hence, why they would need a HSQ because Tenney used to compete against Ragged, Waterville, Loon. Tenney's lift ticket rates were competitive and were less than Pats Peak at the time! We had considered going there one year (the year before they closed) soley based on cost.

But as others mentioned:

Tenney Mountain Ski Resort had 5 lifts, which is 1 less than the average ski resort. Its uphill capacity was 3,180 people/hour, which is 4,820 people/hour less than the average. Their longest run was just over a half mile, therefore, more time on the lift then on the trails. Which is not that uncommon, but if someone is looking for negatives that becomes highlighted quickly then add crowded days and lift lines to that - ouch!

sull1102

Family owned a condo in Waterville for a good five years and Tenney was always that place we talked about riding once because it was so cheap and the only night skiing for 50 miles, but somehow we always missed it. The visibility from I-93 keeps the place easily in sight and not out of mind at least.

Warp Daddy

Me and my sons and grandsons hit Tenney once when the grandboyz were like 7 and 5 , we had a good day of it , but that summit lift was a looong. Sloooooooow ride . As i recall the vert started about half way down . But it was dirt cheap and uncrowded and perfect for a tird day of skiing after we had done a couple others in the region on that road trip .

dlague

Dartmouth has a LOT of private money. PSU is run by the state so ... uh ... YEAH! How come!?

That would be two state owned ski areas within a short distance. PSU gets ski free days at Cannon.

Plus at this time Iroquois Capital Group, Inc owns it and paid $500,000 for it at auction during foreclosure and got the $200,000 in back taxes written off as part of the foreclosure process.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Skied there once and the top was on wind hold all day. there was maybe 15 people skiing that day. Only skied the trials on the far skiers left. My 12 year old son got bored but we did head into the woods a few times and came out on some closed trails that had a foot of powder on them. That was fun until the one ski patroller they had snuck up on us and said "yes this is fun but you can't ski this anymore except to get to the bottom on this run - enjoy!" They ended up closing for good at the end of that year.

jack97

heard from a buddy that the area has string of wind turbines along a mountain ridge. Hikers, climbers and residences must love seeing the scenic view it adds.

08292012_WPH_IberdrolaWindFarm_1851.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
yes

easy to spot from 93. Truthfully, wind turbines don't really bother me. No worse than the proliferation of cell phone towers across the landscape.

jack97

yes

easy to spot from 93. Truthfully, wind turbines don't really bother me. No worse than the proliferation of cell phone towers across the landscape.

I'm generally neutral..... however cell towers serves people around the area. from i've read the original plan for the turbines was to connect to a NSTAR grid which services MA. So it doesn't service people around the place. not sure if those plans have changed tho.