• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic / Feb 6 2014

bdfreetuna

9-10" of freshies at Magic as they weren't open yesterday and most of the trails were opening for the first time since that 1 dump in December.

Skiing was great, I got there just about 8:30 and made it until 2:00 or 2:30 before the burning in my thighs started to affect my ability to ski properly and remain in control. So I called it a day.

Everything skied great although there are still so many waterbars over on the left side. There was nothing exposed but plenty of drastic dips in the trail. I mention this because I saw a kid being put on a sled by ski patrol because he wiped out hard on a waterbar.

Only black chair was running but there were no crowds at all. I recognized most people on the mountain by the end of the day. I almost always had the trail to myself. Several trails early in the morning I had the only fresh tracks on; I relished this experience.

Most trails had the same conditions, which is soft semi-deep snow over almost bare ground. Steeper runs like parts of Black Line began to show their rocks halfway through the day.

Great fun to ski, but hopefully this snow will make an excellent base. I tried some skiing in the trees and both times cut the woods short but going sideways to the nearest trail. I was taking too many shots to the base and the snow was heavy in the woods, and hard to ski at the low speeds I require to ski safely in these woods.

I was skiing solo but had some interesting chairlift rides. Seemed like most of the crowd was also from Mass, especially western mass. Even met a guy also from my town. Makes a lot of sense as it's an easy drive from WMass and there are a lot of benefits of skiing Magic over going further north for those who just want to get down to great skiing and not much else.

I posted the photos on Facebook already. The folder should be public. If anyone can't see them and wants to I'll upload them here again

https://www.facebook.com/joshuathes...80549386417.1073741836.100001734339088&type=1

Edit:
Nm who wants to click a link?

Magic0.jpgMagic1.jpgMagic2.jpgMagic3.jpgMagic6.jpg

jrmagic

Glad you went and got some tuna. I really hated missing today but had no choice. I'm busy through Saturday evening so sloppy fourths are the best I can do but I will enjoy it on Sunday regardless.

wakenbacon

Awesome that there were no crowds! Trying to convince a buddy to go up with me sunday. Ive only been once, last year, and cant wait to get back. Anyone else gonna be there?

Savemeasammy

Nice. I look forward to one of these lonely powder days at Magic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

Well yesterday might have been the better powder day but at least Sunday the snow should be better packed and make all the hazards at least more visible......that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

bdfreetuna

Well yesterday might have been the better powder day but at least Sunday the snow should be better packed and make all the hazards at least more visible......that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah I agree.. woods were dangerous to the base of skis yesterday due to fresh snow over basically bare ground. When it gets packed down you'll be able to see what's what.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nothing beats photos on a bluebird day. Glad to see you and Magic had a fantastic time. With only more to come, I'm crossing fingers that more people come out. I guess the part for the red chair hasn't arrived yet. Last I heard that was the holdup. Nice temps too. Thanks!

Euler

Oh boy that looks great! I'll be getting me some Magic soon. Maybe the Sunday of Pres Weekend in an attempt to avoid some crowds?

bdfreetuna

Nothing beats photos on a bluebird day. Glad to see you and Magic had a fantastic time. With only more to come, I'm crossing fingers that more people come out. I guess the part for the red chair hasn't arrived yet. Last I heard that was the holdup. Nice temps too. Thanks!

I heard yesterday they were waiting on Red to get inspected again. Who knows.

C-Rex

Tuna, I wish I knew you were there. We had a blast. Untouched stashes all day long and I bet people were still finding them today, maybe tomorrow too. Not Sunday though. It'll be all tracked out by then. (@ Madmadworld, :wink: LOL)

I'm headed to Killington tomorrow and Pico on Sunday, I hope I can find some goodness there too.

slatham

Re: Red Chair - we saw it run yesterday! They had the electrician there for a final check. There was a chance the lift inspector would be called in today to do a final inspection. So it is close, real close. Fingers crossed all goes well and its running tomorrow, and at least by Presidents Weekend.

MadMadWorld

Re: Red Chair - we saw it run yesterday! They had the electrician there for a final check. There was a chance the lift inspector would be called in today to do a final inspection. So it is close, real close. Fingers crossed all goes well and its running tomorrow, and at least by Presidents Weekend.

That's good news