• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Hosts Ski the East Freeride Tour

reefer

Best Northeast freeriders will be at Magic 3/2. Should be crazy with the new snow and Black Lift running! Something you have to see! Wondering if Powbumps is entering?

MadMadWorld

Hmmm...with snow around the corner could it actually be possible to hold it on Black Magic this year? I hope so!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I looked but had a hard time understanding the "rules". It just laid out a point system but iddn't tie it to anything. but maybe I read too quickly :lol:

Blanton

I would love to hit this. Unfortunately living where I do I have to choose between one of these and something like BMMC... the mogul comps usually have more consistent snow to make the drive worth while.

moguler6

Blanton, you'd love this. It's shredding a trail while trying to be stylie. After doing Mad River's last week, the competition this year is really tough! A bunch of mountains have teams focusing on the STEFT tour now and the level of skiing has gone off.

Since we're on the topic, anyone have any vids or pics of the features on Black Line? I've never skied it before and I searched, but haven't found anything good. Trying to get some intel for this weekend. One of the problems I'm having with these events is trying to memorize a trail while only skiing it twice the morning of. A video from the black chair would be sweet.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Blanton, you'd love this. It's shredding a trail while trying to be stylie. After doing Mad River's last week, the competition this year is really tough! A bunch of mountains have teams focusing on the STEFT tour now and the level of skiing has gone off.

Since we're on the topic, anyone have any vids or pics of the features on Black Line? I've never skied it before and I searched, but haven't found anything good. Trying to get some intel for this weekend. One of the problems I'm having with these events is trying to memorize a trail while only skiing it twice the morning of. A video from the black chair would be sweet.

How far is the run? Just a few sections or do they go way down the slope?

Are there a lot of amateurs there or are the competitors pretty pro?

jrmagic

How far is the run? Just a few sections or do they go way down the slope?

Are there a lot of amateurs there or are the competitors pretty pro?
IIRC it went down past the ledges and ended above the last steep section. Thats if they can pull it off on Black Magic otherwise it will be on redline like last year which was conspicuously closed on today's snow report. Lots of excellent skiers. Definitely more Pro than our homegrown event used to be.

jrmagic

Look at Magic trip reports from a couple of years back. You should find some decent video of both red and black. Also I recall some video of the event online too. The biggest feature on black is that there are 3 succesive drops right at the start then below that are some smaller features to air off. When you get to the wide flatter section, there's some small features skiers right to jump from. If its redline and they start on witch, theres a 5 footer or so skiers right as you enter that you can see from the lift. Then theres a rock that should be covered skiers left you can launch from which will lead to the big rock face where an air is possible depending on cover followed by another say 4 footer. Then its pretty steep and narrow with bumps. The last air is a rock on skiers right above tower 12 which is good for backflips and the like. Have fun and good luck!

MadMadWorld

Look at Magic trip reports from a couple of years back. You should find some decent video of both red and black. Also I recall some video of the event online too. The biggest feature on black is that there are 3 succesive drops right at the start then below that are some smaller features to air off. When you get to the wide flatter section, there's some small features skiers right to jump from. If its redline and they start on witch, theres a 5 footer or so skiers right as you enter that you can see from the lift. Then theres a rock that should be covered skiers left you can launch from which will lead to the big rock face where an air is possible depending on cover followed by another say 4 footer. Then its pretty steep and narrow with bumps. The last air is a rock on skiers right above tower 12 which is good for backflips and the like. Have fun and good luck!

Umm people are doing back flips in this contest? I think that pretty much answers the question as to how competitive it will be.

Blanton

I'm terrible with remembering message board names- hence why I use my real name. Is this Alan?

I did a lot of this kind of skiing back in 02-04 with the original Meatheads crew. Good times. Might have to dig out my old vhs tapes...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Bummer to hear it is going pro-ish. Well, good for folks that are really into the activity. Hopefully they can get a beer league going for us lesser mortals that would like to participate in these things. I've been thinking about it but it has been a few years since I entered a season in good enough shape that I would feel I'd have my best.

I suspect they'll have it on Red, not Black. They had both roped today and specifically asked people to respect these ropes in the report. Which was probably prudent... two days of both of these trails being hit hard would have stripped them. As it was, one boarder poached it four times in a row and did some decent damage. I was disappointed to see that type of lack of respect at a place like Magic. I'm all for self based risk assessment... but they have an important event on Saturday and there were plenty of other trails...

Any ways, I don't believe coverage was sufficient for Black. It didn't seem like there was a lot of base under the new snow, especially on the steeper trail. Really good dense base building snow but I think Red would be a better option than Black at the moment.

WWF-VT

The STEFT events are not really "pro-ish". They are at MRG, Magic, Sugarbush and Jay and for most of the competitions a high percentage of participants are there because it's their home mountain.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The STEFT events are not really "pro-ish". They are at MRG, Magic, Sugarbush and Jay and for most of the competitions a high percentage of participants are there because it's their home mountain.
I don't think that is the case any more, that was the point moguler6 was making. These events started as individual mountain events, but they are now part of an east coast swing of a national freeskiing competition brand. From what I've read these past two years, these events frequently sell out before the day of the event and doing walk up is not feasible for many of these events.