• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man Physically Attacks Chairmate at Park City

abc

Florida has plenty of fun stuff for the once a year visitors. I went back to visit often enough after I moved away. Only stopped until I got too busy skiing.

Living there is a whole different thing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not for burning books, but do prefer the state not teach my kids about anything except reading writing, logic ( total fail there) and math. Science also seems to be lost. This affects far more people than the 1% of 1%: https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.c...k-on-lifestyle-quality-and-freedom-of-choice/
That more is my point. Let it snow please Lord - here in the NE, heavy wet to adhere then if You would kindly dry it out as it accumulates. We really would be thankful! Amen.

Appropriate meme for today and this way of thinking.

No offense, but please don't move to NH and vote here.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673911488106.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673911488106.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 28

BenedictGomez

I know of two couples who retired, moved to Florida and then moved back home (California, New Jersey respective). They were not ready to do nothing except “waiting to meet God” yet.

Pity they didn't decide to enjoy the beach, take up golf, buy a boat & enjoy the water, dabble in fishing paradise, canoe the inland river system, enjoy extensive wildlife, or 1001 other things that are either great in Florida or can be done pretty much the same as anywhere else. The "God's waiting room" thing is dopey.

abc

or 1001 other things that are either great in Florida or can be done pretty much the same as anywhere else. .
In which case they could very well do those 1001 things where they’ve been living!

It isn’t what they “can” do. It’s more of what they want to do. Unless you’re into coastal water sports, you’re just as well off “anywhere else” as in Florida. So it begs the question of why move there.

It’s sticky, humid hot in the summer. Cabin fever is just as much an issue as being stuck indoor up north in the winter. There’re flying cockroaches the size you’ve never seen. Fire ants whose bite can turn your calf to the size of your thigh… Moving to Florida just trades one set of dislike for another.

But the worst part is the people. Try to find any buddy to do “things”. Even when there’re 1001 “things to do”, the large percentage of people who’re waiting their turn for God’s invitation aren’t doing them. When you’re freshly retired and ready to enjoy life unencumbered by work and children, the last thing you need is hang out with people who constantly remind you death is not far away! :(

People move to the mountains to ski. People move to the coast to surf or fish. But people who move to Florida? They move there waiting to die!

drjeff

In which case they could very well do those 1001 things where they’ve been living!

It isn’t what they “can” do. It’s more of what they want to do. Unless you’re into coastal water sports, you’re just as well off “anywhere else” as in Florida. So it begs the question of why move there.

It’s sticky, humid hot in the summer. Cabin fever is just as much an issue as being stuck indoor up north in the winter. There’re flying cockroaches the size you’ve never seen. Fire ants whose bite can turn your calf to the size of your thigh… Moving to Florida just trades one set of dislike for another.

But the worst part is the people. Try to find any buddy to do “things”. Even when there’re 1001 “things to do”, the large percentage of people who’re waiting their turn for God’s invitation aren’t doing them. When you’re freshly retired and ready to enjoy life unencumbered by work and children, the last thing you need is hang out with people who constantly remind you death is not far away! :(

People move to the mountains to ski. People move to the coast to surf or fish. But people who move to Florida? They move there waiting to die!
Well, if your in construction, you move there to work and make $$! Between new construction for all those moving there and the numerous (seemingly) storms that hit FL annually, construction jobs are in high demand and often with good pay in FL.

Plus the golfing is also pretty good in FL as well.

It's not for everyone, no doubt about that, but it's also not just a place where people move to wait to die

abc

I’m not so sure about the “good pay“ part. Jobs in Florida tend to pay less because they have endless influx of misinformed people moving into the state (Many of them moved back out though)

That said, construction may still be a good gig there as the season is year round. Unlike up here, construction dries up in the winter.

I’m of course being a little too strongly negative. Water sport is good for those who specifically move there for it too. So is fishing.

BenedictGomez

it's also not just a place where people move to wait to die
Just a dumb, oft-repeated comment. Florida is an extremely active place, more physically active than most states given the near 365 days a year you may get outside for exercise opportunities of all sorts. It wont appear as such on any "lists", because yes, the hoards of old people absolutely do drag the "health score" down drastically, but that's mere camouflage. As a young man living there in your 20s you really notice it when everywhere you go seems teeming with slim, attractive, girls with little bodyfat. Juxtapose that against living in Vermont where....... it certainly wasnt like that, and in the immortal words of Forrest gump, "that's all I'ma gonna' say bout' that".