• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man v Weather Sunday River Snow Making Video

drjeff

I saw that vid on their FB page - pretty cool!

I'd fully believe 2.5 million given some of the numbers i've heard from industry folks about what their per hour energy costs can be to operate a large system :eek:

thetrailboss

Staff member
SICK!!!!!! Love it! I was shaking my head in disbelief when the snowmaking super got on scuba gear and a wetsuit and climbed down to remove leaves from the intake pipes. Holy sh^&! Those guys are awesome! What a great tribute to the guys who work so hard to get the place open when mother nature does not.

They are the unsung heroes for skiers and riders. Certainly deserve a big thanks, and a cold beer! Thanks guys!

octopus

a friend of mine used to work at mt. snow in the maintenance dept,he was friends with some of the snowmakers. i remember him telling me that no matter what the snowmaker guys wore they were always cold and wet. i like when one of them says" they better be happy". :fangun::beer:

catskills

Thanks for the video. Brings back memories. I made snow part time for two winters in the early 1970s during my college days.

Any other snowmakers post here ?

I love the video quote. "Its a sickness. Anyone that makes snow is ill. ":thumbup: priceless.

Snowmakers pretty much have to have their game face on all the time. If you screw up or not paying attention $hit happens and you can die.

Back in the day we wore yellow rubber rain gear. The good news is it kept you dry from the outside. The bad news is all that rubberized gear makes for a really fast sled if you fall on a really steep slope in the middle of the night with no moon out. Fortunately you always carried this wrench in your hand. When, not if, but when you fell, you dig that MF wrench into the snow with everything you got to do a self arrest and stop . Of course this meant you had to drop your flash light. AFter you stop, now you are laying on a very steep hill in complete blackness. I mean you can't see your hands. Hopefully your buddy still has his a flashlight and can find you. Fortunately this nightmare never happen to me personally. But it did happen to a few guys I worked with. Scary stuff.