• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Michael Phelps and Barack Obama have something in common

Grassi21

Bill Hicks would have had a field day with this story had he been here today. And I will take my moral relativism and step aside now :D

I recently heard some of Bill Hicks' material. Great comic. Wish he was still around. He was spouting off about the same issues we are still dealing with today.

Warp Daddy

I think the real moral to this story is "it's only wrong if you get caught..."

River : with all due respect ,I do not believe in situational ethics and .admittedly never blew smoke of any kind. Call me a dinosaur but IMO "its only wrong if you get caught" absolutely defines what is wrong with society today .

There is a seeming weakness among "some" who fail or refuse to take responsibility for their actions and cave in to adolescent peer pressure even though they CLAIM to be adult . They want to be treated like adults, but often fail to assume adult responsibilty to even consider the consequences of poor decision making regarding their behavior prior to acting .

In Phelp's case he probably never even "considered the line " much less be intelligent enough to measure the impacts -- prior to toking . While i neither agree with or understand why anyone wants to be a druggie AS a celebrity he should have been aware that he is a target for gonzo journalism -- what in hell was he thinking duh !!!! I

Instant gratification coupled with diminished responsibility and an unwillingness on the part of some has lead to a devaluing . Go ahead flame on !

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The only wrong if you get caught bit was a joke, sorry for no emoticon to clarify.

Labeling Phelps a "druggie" is too black and white (as with any one, really). I think the real shame is that he didn't take ownership of his actions. He pulled a Clinton (I didn't inhale) when he was caught... which is what I was getting at with the afore mentioned joke, more of a dig against Phelps for not sacking up and being 100% completely honest that he probably had himself a great time and had no regrets (about smoking... not about getting caught).

No flaming here, but everyone has a vice we enjoy and I will always call into question beliefs that recreation drug use (particularly pot) are inherently "bad". What is "bad" is when such recreational use negatively effects the user or those that are friends, family, and care for someone. I just don't like the knee jerk reaction that Phelps somehow did something terrible. A terrible thing that 90% of Americans have done at least once (according to some surveys).

Chris I

He has done what no one else has ever accomplished. He's one of the worlds best athletes. What makes him a bad person now that we know he smoked some weed? He still did it, he's still amazing.. and now we know how he could eat all that damn food.

At least he was smoking a ROOR

Seriously, it's weed- people are still making a big deal out of WEED??

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
He has done what no one else has ever accomplished. He's one of the worlds best athletes. What makes him a bad person now that we know he smoked some weed? He still did it, he's still amazing.. and now we know how he could eat all that damn food.

At least he was smoking a ROOR

Seriously, it's weed- people are still making a big deal out of WEED??
+1

deadheadskier

Staff member
weed is a very big deal!!! the "moral right' says its a gateway drug and what they say is always right. Very sad, it's only a matter of time before we see a picture of Mr. Phelps smoking crack. :rolleyes:

Those Roors are great..better than the cheapo bong I got from the condom shop where the stem comes out of a womans buttcrack..lol

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Dude, where to you go to college????:grin:
UMass Lowell. And it was not for lack of opportunity. Not by a loooooong shot. I wanted into several smoke filled rooms in my time there but opted not to partake. Besides, I was too busy drinking on "any day that ended in Y" and pre-gaming for dinner at the Dining Hall by lining up three shots of *gulp* "Poland Springs Vodka" (what it means to be from Maine....). Now THAT shit should be illegal and I am DAMN GLAD there is no visual proof of my chugging a 1.75L bottle of vodka on my 21st... now THAT is some stupid stuff.

Grassi21

Those Roors are great..better than the cheapo bong I got from the condom shop where the stem comes out of a womans buttcrack..lol

maybe phelps can recoup some of the endorsement dollars he might lose with a new sponsorship from roor?

ERJ-145CA

weed is a very big deal!!! the "moral right' says its a gateway drug and what they say is always right. Very sad, it's only a matter of time before we see a picture of Mr. Phelps smoking crack. :rolleyes:

The real gateway drugs would be tobacco and alcohol. Pot being illegal ony helps to introduce otherwise law abiding people to the drug underground. If one could buy it in a store like alcohol one would have less exposure to other drugs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The real gateway drugs would be tobacco and alcohol. Pot being illegal ony helps to introduce otherwise law abiding people to the drug underground. If one could buy it in a store like alcohol one would have less exposure to other drugs.

extremely good point. tell it to the 'moral right' though.....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
UMass Lowell. And it was not for lack of opportunity. Not by a loooooong shot. I wanted into several smoke filled rooms in my time there but opted not to partake. Besides, I was too busy drinking on "any day that ended in Y" and pre-gaming for dinner at the Dining Hall by lining up three shots of *gulp* "Poland Springs Vodka" (what it means to be from Maine....). Now THAT shit should be illegal and I am DAMN GLAD there is no visual proof of my chugging a 1.75L bottle of vodka on my 21st... now THAT is some stupid stuff.

Lol, that's some nasty swill. Although we used to consume mostly Barton vodka, and State (which we pronounced "stah- tay") in college, so I'm not one to talk. Talk about turpentine. I can honestly say doing shots of 151 was more enjoyable than shots of 80 proof Barton.