• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Montage Resort good Skiing?

IceGobblinn

I live near DC and was hoping on going to Snow Shoe but all the hotels seem to be booked the weekend I'm free. My second choice was Whitetail but I really hate the crowds. I did some research and saw the Montage was named "the least crowded ski resort" by the Washingtonian. I saw the trail map and it seemed to have some good runs. I'm a pretty advanced skier and am hoping for a resort that can offer me a diverse selection of challenging runs. My second choice is currently Elk Mountain Resort. I'd like to hear what you guys think and other suggestions if you have any. Thanks.

bdfreetuna

Based on Google image search I can tell you Montage is extremely flat.

If I were you I'd fill up the tank or hop on a plane.

Dick Gazinya

Based on Google image search I can tell you Montage is extremely flat.

If I were you I'd fill up the tank or hop on a plane.

Not trying to say Montage is all that because I've been there once and was bored within a few hours. But, they actually do have a couple pretty steep trails on the bottom half but, they are only 500 vertical or less. I remember 1 of them was ranked on a site in top 10 in the east for steepness for 3 or 400 sustained vert. But the mountain is split in half and the upper half is all pretty flat and beginner terrain. Pretty sure there is only 1 or maybe 2 trails that can be done from top to bottom to do the whole vertical. Elk is much better when it comes to PA ski hills.

danimals

Montage is great because there are no crowds and a great bar. Snow quality is usually great as the north face trails (the lower steep trails) are lined with fan guns and always resurfaced. They also don’t get much sun so seems to not thaw fast at all. I could lap those trails all day without even checking out the top half of the mountain.

The only downside is the top to bottom lift never runs on weekdays. The top to bottom run is fun and if there’s snow there is some great glades terrain to the side.

It Also is right in the city of Scranton, so check out ale Mary’s afterwards.

From the shops at the base, you can’t see the lower trails as they face north (towards the left) and the bottom couple hundred feet of vert is cut off. But there isn’t run out on em.
7efee4b840f3aa6761fe1fc9228c7c77.jpg

Botto, of their white lightning trail.
b14a7414508a14e3dcc63c8cfa5918a4.jpg

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
From South Elk is a good 45 min to an hour North of Montage . I haven't been to Montage to make a fair comparison but I have passed the Poconos many times last year to hit Elk . They by far have the most favorable weather in Pa. for snow . Glades are "Off limits" the downside is a really poor side country policy but maybe you can get a mulligan if use the excuse "First time here" . ....wink wink .

Their slogan is Vermont skiing in Pa. ...pretty close in my book . It's the only place I ski on a weekend ,the lodge is outdated and food is Meh. They usually have a few really nice mogul runs .

A few miles from Elk is Dunnier's country store on RT374/106 is a modest place but food is good .

p_levert

Yeah, the advice you will get is: "drive another 45 minutes and ski at Elk Mountain". Elk has around 1K vert across a fairly wide ridge. The area gets a decent amount of snow. The high points are the length of the runs (for PA) and mogul runs. The negative is the *sshole policy about not skiing in the trees.

Of course, I have never been to Montage. The comment about glades make it sound interesting, at least when there's some natural snow.

bdfreetuna

I once visited Scranton on business and went to check out some coal mine around there. I now remember, Montage was in plain view. My memory is borderline photographic, certainly topographic.

Looked OK to me with bare trails in the summer. Hope that's helpful intel for ya! That bottom trail doesn't look bad!

asnowmobiler

Elk has some really nice runs, but their lifts are painfully slow and the lodge is stuck in the 60’s
That being said, I still want to get one day of skiing there this winter.

IceGobblinn

Yeah, the advice you will get is: "drive another 45 minutes and ski at Elk Mountain". Elk has around 1K vert across a fairly wide ridge. The area gets a decent amount of snow. The high points are the length of the runs (for PA) and mogul runs. The negative is the *sshole policy about not skiing in the trees.

Of course, I have never been to Montage. The comment about glades make it sound interesting, at least when there's some natural snow.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take more consideration for Elk. That being said, does it get very crowded on weekends?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take more consideration for Elk. That being said, does it get very crowded on weekends?

No , The almost 9 min lift ride for 1k vert is painful .It’s off the beaten path so crowds are not an issue. I like the laidback vibe. Snowmaking is good , not much of a park to speak of if you’re into that.

legalskier

I've been to both- both times midweek, though not in a few years. I prefer Elk. Both claim 1000' of vertical. Montage/Sno is an "upside down" area, i.e. lodge up top where the trails are pretty flat, and the steeps down below. White Lightning is the best trail there. I wasn't aware there's tree skiing there but that's pretty cool- Elk prohibits it (even though there's a lot of potentially excellent stuff there). I don't mind the old lifts at Elk- I still got a lot of vertical off them. I also prefer Blue over Sno/Montage, but it's pretty far south of Scranton. Some folks I know from Philly pass by all of them to ski only at Elk. If you only have one day, go to Elk- if two days, go to Montage first, then Elk (all other factors being equal, such as weather). Hope you do a trip report.

Dick Gazinya

I've been to both- both times midweek, though not in a few years. I prefer Elk. Both claim 1000' of vertical. Montage/Sno is an "upside down" area, i.e. lodge up top where the trails are pretty flat, and the steeps down below. White Lightning is the best trail there. I wasn't aware there's tree skiing there but that's pretty cool- Elk prohibits it (even though there's a lot of potentially excellent stuff there). I don't mind the old lifts at Elk- I still got a lot of vertical off them. I also prefer Blue over Sno/Montage, but it's pretty far south of Scranton. Some folks I know from Philly pass by all of them to ski only at Elk. If you only have one day, go to Elk- if two days, go to Montage first, then Elk (all other factors being equal, such as weather). Hope you do a trip report.

Despite the posted tree signs, over the years I've never had a problem skiing the woods there. They planted so many pine trees lining the trails that if you slip in there, no one can see you. And a lot of the wooded areas are wide open. What's the worst they are going to do? Take your ticket? SKI patrol sucks there anyways. Doubt they'd be able to catch you if you can rip.

legalskier

Despite the posted tree signs, over the years I've never had a problem skiing the woods there.
I saw someone get pulled over there by ski patrol upon emerging from the trees.

SKI patrol sucks there anyways. Doubt they'd be able to catch you if you can rip.
Just so I understand- are you advising people to try to elude ski patrol by trying to outrace them in the trees?

ThinkSnow

Despite the posted tree signs, over the years I've never had a problem skiing the woods there. They planted so many pine trees lining the trails that if you slip in there, no one can see you. And a lot of the wooded areas are wide open. What's the worst they are going to do? Take your ticket? SKI patrol sucks there anyways. Doubt they'd be able to catch you if you can rip.
If a ski hill has a posted no-trees policy, there is most likely good reason for it (ie, old growth forest, state lands, insurance limits, poor snow coverage, etc.). That said, if the trees are off-limits, Ski Patrol does not/will not patrol them, and if you ski/ride there, you are on your own. What’s the worst that can happen? Your ski or board snags on a hidden obstacle, and you get injured. Guess what? No one is coming to look for you, and if they do, you will most likely end up paying for the extrication yourself due to their posted no-trees policy.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
If a ski hill has a posted no-trees policy, there is most likely good reason for it (ie, old growth forest, state lands, insurance limits, poor snow coverage, etc.). That said, if the trees are off-limits, Ski Patrol does not/will not patrol them, and if you ski/ride there, you are on your own. What’s the worst that can happen? Your ski or board snags on a hidden obstacle, and you get injured. Guess what? No one is coming to look for you, and if they do, you will most likely end up paying for the extrication yourself due to their posted no-trees policy.

I think the policy evolved from a fatality years ago. As much as it pains me I follow their rule. There are some patrollers that take finding violators as a challenge , rode the lift with one who spotted some tracks coming out of the woods. He made a comment to me “ There’s a shredder I’m going to catch him “ .

You are correct about the dangers . i’m not happy with a lot of the things they do up there. One of the trails last year had 30 inches of untracked Lake affect snow on it and it was going to rain the next day they never dropped the rope !!!!!!:angry::thumbdown:

cdskier

That said, if the trees are off-limits, Ski Patrol does not/will not patrol them, and if you ski/ride there, you are on your own.

That's pretty much the case even with areas that allow tree-skiing though. Hence the reason you're really not supposed to ski alone in the woods. Even if patrol does take a run through the woods, chances of them taking the same path as you if you're hurt are not good.

*Note - I'm not saying this justifies ignoring the policy at mountains that have them closed. If a ski area has a no-trees policy, I'll follow it. The reasons for why the policy exists aren't important to me. There are plenty of other places to go that allow it.

tnt1234

Can you spend a little more time in the car and make it to the Catskills?

Dick Gazinya

I saw someone get pulled over there by ski patrol upon emerging from the trees.

Just so I understand- are you advising people to try to elude ski patrol by trying to outrace them in the trees?

First off I already told you that Elks ski patrol sucks. They aren't going to follow you into the woods and risk marking up their skis. It's not that hard to check your surroundings before entering the woods and make sure no ski patrol sees you. And once in, you are covered pretty good by the pine trees. It's not like they get that much snow. You have to ski them when you get the chance.

raisingarizona

Mellow tree skiing at eastern resorts is so extreme. Enter only if you dare to tempt the dragon!