• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More Gore

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I finished the first part of my piece based on my conversation with Emily Stanton and Mike Pratt.

Part One is with Emily - she's the Marketing Manager. Part two is with Mike - he is the GM - the top guy on property at Gore.

Facebook in Part One. A little on Parking.

Parking and Snowmaking in Part Two.

First part is here:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/01/conversation-with-emily-stanton.html

Hope to have Part 2 up tomorrow or next day.

I finally got the second part of my piece posted - the conversation with Mike. It took a while because there was a lot of other stuff to blog about over the weekend ... skiing TRs, snowmaking and other stuff. And I was at a party Saturday night and a hockey game broke out.

Here's the conversation with Mike Pratt, GM of Gore Mtn:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/01/co ... pratt.html

x10003q

Harvey,
Thanks for a getting us great interview.

The couple of times I have spoken to Mike Pratt I found him to be a pretty straight shooter. I think The Bosses in Lake Placid wear him out.

AdironRider

I think its a lame excuse for a ski area to blame the cold on their lack of ability to blow snow. They havent figured out how to prevent their snowmaking system from icing over by now..come on.

I love Gore but thats just rediculous.

skimore

I think its a lame excuse for a ski area to blame the cold on their lack of ability to blow snow. They havent figured out how to prevent their snowmaking system from icing over by now..come on.

I love Gore but thats just rediculous.

seems as the power outage was actually the cause

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Jmokes speaks out.

In an effort to give equal time to those opposed to the new parking plan at Gore, I interviewed Jmokes... the outspoken, de facto leader of Gore Skiers Against Paid Parking.

If you care at all about the issue, you might want to check it out. With Jmokes, there's no guessing how he feels.

And If you want to be heard, post a comment under the entry. I'll be sending a link to the folks at Gore in the next day or so.

I'm hoping that this will close the loop on this, and winter will turn into a rerun of 2007, so Harvey Road will go back to being TRs about epic snow and skiing.

I can dream can't I? :-D

Anyway ... here's the link:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/01/conversation-with-jeff-moeckel.html

legalskier

Just received an email from Gore that reads, "Sagamore Opening Tomorrow, Daughter Week Starts Monday."
Can't wait to hit it.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Just received an email from Gore that reads, "Sagamore Opening Tomorrow, Daughter Week Starts Monday."
Can't wait to hit it.

Just got into town. When I drove past the mountain I saw headlights on Sagamore, so I guess they groomed it. Was sort of hoping we'd get one day of snow whales, but whatever ... it's exciting. See you out there!

highpeaksdrifter

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Thanks for your support HPD.

Not sure if that thread was the cause of the jinx. Some suggested my WAAAY early posting of the weather thread (on SkiAdk) in September may have been the cause of the jinx.

Whatever it was, Gore was 20% below average, which I think was comparable (percentage wise) to other mountains in the northeast. (?)

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
More Gore (and Belleayre and....)

Jamesdeluxe went off (in a nice way, sorta) about how rabid Gore skiers are about their mountain, compared to his "home mountain" of Belleayre.

I guess I have to agree really. Anyway comments drifted a bit ... I guess it's not all roses no matter where you go ....

Gore Mountain and Belleayre

Last edited: