• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most deceptive snow reports

nhskier1969

I like it when Resorts count the snowfall at the very top of the mtn for their snowfall report. I don't know about you but I don't just ski the top 200 vertical feet of a mountian. Resorts should make it common practice to report snowfall totals at the top, middle and bottom. This would give you a more accurate snow report based on the part of the mtn you are skiing. Sugarbush is the only resort that will give you top and middle snowfall amounts but the seasonal average is from the top.
Lastly, resorts shouldn't count snowfall at the begining of the year unless its adds to their base.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I don't really care where the mountain reports from as long as they are consistent and they make it know.

Measuring at the base is by far the most useful. Sometimes 3 inches at the top is rain at the bottom.

Lastly, resorts shouldn't count snowfall at the begining of the year unless its adds to their base.
I KNOW I am in the minority here. I disagree.

cdskier

I like it when Resorts count the snowfall at the very top of the mtn for their snowfall report. I don't know about you but I don't just ski the top 200 vertical feet of a mountian. Resorts should make it common practice to report snowfall totals at the top, middle and bottom. This would give you a more accurate snow report based on the part of the mtn you are skiing. Sugarbush is the only resort that will give you top and middle snowfall amounts but the seasonal average is from the top.

I agree. Although for Sugarbush I don't understand why they don't list the season totals for all 3 measurements on their website (they do list them on their e-mailed snow reports so it isn't like they're not tracking them on a continual basis).

I agree about the last point as well. Drives me nuts when a resort counts snowfall from October or early November that melts before they even open for the season.

nhskier1969

You gotta love Mad River Glens brutally honest snow Report. They will use phrases like "dust on crust" "nor-incher" on their report.