• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Overused/Annoying Skiing Terms

MadMadWorld

Mine are:

Dropping in: Skiers who jump out of helicopters and launch Corbet's drop in. Not some 12 yr old that is dropping in to some 2 ft. kicker.

Headwall: Sorry everyone but trails at Killington do not have a headwall! I would argue that no marked trail in the east has a headwall.

This is a true headwall.

Please discuss....

Attachments

• KH.jpg
    KH.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 229

dmc

Announcing "Dropping" is important in the park...
It's just a way of saying - I waiting - it's my turn and I'm letting everyone know I'm going..

Agree with headwall.. ridiculous..
It's like saying a falt spot is a "col"

MadMadWorld

Announcing "Dropping" is important in the park...
It's just a way of saying - I waiting - it's my turn and I'm letting everyone know I'm going..

Agree with headwall.. ridiculous..
It's like saying a falt spot is a "col"

Yea I guess I can understand the park thing. I have also heard adults say it when they are starting a completely groomed intermediate run.

dmc

Yea I guess I can understand the park thing. I have also heard adults say it when they are starting a completely groomed intermediate run.

Well that's just lame... :)

Do bump skiers still tap their poles before starting a line like the old days?

MadMadWorld

Well that's just lame... :)

Do bump skiers still tap their poles before starting a line like the old days?

It doesn't count if you are paying homage to Old Schoolers. I will admit that I occassionally do that. Which reminded me of another overused word...

stash: It's not a stash if everyone and their mother know about it. Example, the Dip at Jay is not a stash!

Breakout12

Oh, and Gaper! Anyone who use that seems worse than the person they're calling "Gaper"

dmc

most slang, especially anything west coast-sounding, is monstrously annoying.

'MANKY'

DIE

Mank is an actual term snow conditions...
Sloppy wet snow thats restrictive for sliding...

"So after that last drop the face down to the bottom is manky so watch yourself.."

bdfreetuna

Another vote for "pow".

You got light snow, you got heavy snow, you got sticky snow, and you got crusty snow..

edit: If hot chicks who can ski really well elect to use the term "pow", they tend to get a pass. But "pow-pow" would be pushing it.

skiNEwhere

One could argue that Ovation has a headwall. Not sure if that "one" is me though

Puck it

Another vote for "pow".

You got light snow, you got heavy snow, you got sticky snow, and you got crusty snow..

edit: If hot chicks who can ski really well elect to use the term "pow", they tend to get a pass. But "pow-pow" would be pushing it.

How about 75mph or mach speed?

drjeff

Shred(ding) the Gnar - Was cool the 1st season or 2, now when you can even hear it with some frequency in/around most beginner hills.....

BenedictGomez

Agree with virtually everything said so far in this thread re: headwall, dropping in, pow (AWFUL), gnar etc...

I'll add "bluebird day" - it annoys the crap out of me. The only context I've heard it used in is blue skies during skiing. Never heard anyone on the golf course or at the beach say, "well, would ya look at this bluebird day".