• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Hunger: October 7, 2007 (Great Fall Colors)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: October 7, 2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Middlesex

Total Distance: 6.0 miles RT

Difficulty: Moderate.

Conditions: Mostly dry, some wet rocks up high.

Special Required Equipment: Boots with grippy soles.

Trip Report: Every Vermont hiker has heard of the legendary Mount Hunger, which sits on the southern end of the Worcester Range and offers a spectacular three state (and Canada) view. It sits across from Mansfield and Camel's Hump. From the open summit, one can look all the way down to Killington, all the way over to the 'Dacks, up into Canada, and over to Washington and the Presi's.

I got to the trailhead in Middlesex at about 1:30 and got on the trail. The fall foliage was impressive...and I managed to get some (film) shots. The first 1.7 miles is an easy hike on an old carriage road...which leads to the White Rocks Trail Junction. The views are limited, and the terrain easy and uneventful.

From here it is a different story. The trail slabs across the fall line, crossing several streams, including one with a nice waterfall, and then passing by several vistas (the first is the best) before coming to a slab of rock ascended by grabbing onto a rope attached to a tree :eek: Good thing it is there...the rocks were slippery.

The hike upwards is quite steep and requires some scrambling. The views are nothing short of amazing...as was the fall foliage. I passed several folks heading down as I climbed up. The last section is pretty much most of the climbing.

At the top, you have your choice of several subsidiary peaks offering incredible views of the area. It was not too busy. I met a family who was hiking the mountain for a friend who was just diagnosed with cancer...I took a picture for them and talked about hiking and skiing.

I spent a while at the top, taking it all in and snapping some photos. The descent was interesting and tricky at times...those steep rock slabs were interesting to descend. The area with the rope was particularly tricky.

I also found a black LL Bean "Citizen Schools" fleece, which is now at the trailhead waiting for its owner.

The ride back to the NEK was particular scenic...with a spectacular sunset on Stannard Mountain...I was glad to have my camera in hand!

Mike P.

When you get them develpoed, get a CD made of them! Day I did Hunger everything was in the clouds, you could tell though that the bare ledges would offer a great view, easily seen from Camel's Hump & Mansfield. One of those perfect foliage peaks, high enough to get a great view, low enough to be close to the colors. (High NH peaks have lots of rock, then green fir trees & then golden birch, the maples & mixed forest are down lower, there are some nice NH foliage peaks though....)