• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1/18/14

C-Rex

Decided to head to Mount Snow today and brave the crowds. We parked at the Sundance Lodge around 8:30 and headed over to the Sunbrook side for starters. Conditions were hardpack with some granular, as we were expecting. We took a run down Beartrap which had the same conditions but was a little more carveable.
From there we headed to Carinthia and took a run through the main park (whatever it's called). They had the guns going so the snow was much softer there. They shortened the 3rd jump in the line, to my mid-air surprise, and I ended up almost clearing the entire landing. I guess that's why you're supposed to scope things out before you hit them. We did a couple more runs on the trails without features. Again, the guns were going and it was well groomed so the snow was better than we expected after all the r@in and warm weather. Then we headed to the North Face.
The first run down free fall was pretty much the same as the rest of the mountain, maybe a little scratchier in spots due to the steepness. We headed up the Outpost lift and were surprised when the people below us made very little noise on the snow. To my delight, I stepped off my board when strapping in at the top of Chute and sank a good 6 inches. They must have blown a ton of snow on that trail because it was fantastic all morning. Soft bumps with only a few scraped off spots until the afternoon when it had seen a lot of traffic. Even then it was still the best trail on the mountain by huge margin.
We had beat the crowd to an early lunch at 1900 Burger. I like that place. Nice beer selection and great food for the price. Next we did a couple runs down some main face trails, but were quickly driven away by the crowds. Back to the North Face for some more laps down Chute and Fallen Timbers which was also skiing well except that it had a lot of guns going on it so you couldn't see very well. From there we headed back to Carinthia to finish out the day. Long John was a complete clusterf##k. We played Dodge the D-bag over to the parks for a couple more runs. By then, my tolerance for the crowds of etiquette-less people had run pretty thin. We called it quits at about 3:00.
Considering the recent weather and the holiday crowds, it was a pretty good day. Kudos to Mount Snow for kicking the snowmaking into high gear and serving up conditions that were far above expectations.

drjeff

Kind of my thoughts too, Conditions were far above expected given last weekends rain/freeze event and then this past weeks not exactly perfect snowmaking conditions. The snowmakers and groomers did a fantastic job recovering these last few days.

The crowds were large and often quite clueless. I was quite glad that on most Saturdays from January - March that passholders can get on the hill 30 minutes before day ticket buyers can, that 30 minute head start let me and my son get 8 runs and 10k vertical feet in by 9:15 when his park program group started, so I wasn't as annoyed by the crowds and lines that started building soon thereafter.

It was an early start, early finish day for me

drjeff

Bumps forming on Chute and Fallen Timbers (guns running on FT) as well as Thanks Walt which has been under a 24+hr snowmaking assault.

The skiing is getting better by the day, its pretty crowded here and things are getting skied off and/or bumped up as the day goes on.

About 1000 times better than a week ago after the freeze up. Trees and natural snow trails are still out of business until another foot or so falls

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

2knees

we were there 1/18 too. I was with the kids so i didn't ski the north face but it was better then i expected too. I didn't think the crowds were that bad considering the limited terrain-holiday time frame. Cleared out at 3:00 too as expected. I will agree on Long John though, we took one run and saw about 3 collisions and two sleds. that was enough of that with 4 kids in tow.

Madroch

Was there 1/17- close to ski on lift most of the day-- firm and fast where snow not being made- lodge was where the soft snow was due to nonstop snowmaking. Snow being made at CArinthia, lodge, under canyon, ridge area, on either fallen timbers or chute (we sued freefall only). Got in 23 runs or or so- 19 from the bird- big vert day for mount snow- especially with 2 11 year olds in tow- who loved to let me run. cruiser of the day was southbowl of all places- big turns Mach schnell. Top to bottom snowmaking progressed to upper 1/3 only as temps rose- never got warm enough to make is aoft- good day.

Glenn

Thanks for the updates. In theory, it should be in good shape for this weekend.

Abominable

Was there on 1/20, first time in many years. Run of the day was definitely Falllen Timbers early, nice bumps on man-made powder. Also had fun cruising in the afternoon after the bumps were sort of skied up. Place is a cruisers paradise.