• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1/8/14

Euler

Conditions: Packed Machine Made Powder, Hardpack, Boilerplate, Blue-Clear Ice

Made it to MountainSnow for a few runs in the afternoon. Conditions were mixed to bad. Every trail had at least some clear ice in places. Some trails (esp. Fallen Timbers) had enough machine-made topcoating, combined with good grooming and low traffic to be fun to ski on.

It was a scary ski day, though...snow was fast of course and I'd get to a long stretch of good edgable snow, get going at a good clip, come over a roller and see large patches of clear ice in front of me to dodge around.

Between the cold and the fear factor, I called it quits after just a few runs.

It's not good right now folks :( This weekend doesn't look like its going to improve things either...

MadMadWorld

I'm thinking the snow (what's left of it) will actually be good this weekend. The snow/ice will soften to spring conditions. After that who knows if anyone will have a base left.

Euler

You're right that warming up a bit will be good, but unfortunately in soVt at least it looks like that while it's warm it'll also be raining. After the rain, the base will be gone. So while there are certain to be periods of decent skiing over the weekend, after the weekend, what base that was left is likely to be washed away. Oh we'll, I'm reading a good book about surfing (Kook by Peter Heller). It's keeping my spirits up!

Yooper

Was there yesterday, now I know what you meant by Scary Ski Day. Totally Wind Blown, Black and White Ice everywhere. Think they had to Groom the Trails with a Zamboni, at least Sunbrook. Not a Fun Day, The only place I saw any Snow Making was Sun Bowl and the Pipe at Carinthia which they have be Blowing since Thanksgiving. With this Rain and Warm up it looks ugly for the next several days.

Euler

While I love mountainSnow, for some reason they haven't been getting the snowmaking/grooming right this year. My son was at Okemo on Tuesday and when I asked him if he saw any ice, he said he saw "none" on the lower mountain. I'm hoping for some improvement at mountainSnow.

Snowlover

Conditions: Packed Machine Made Powder, Hardpack, Boilerplate, Blue-Clear Ice

Made it to MountainSnow for a few runs in the afternoon. Conditions were mixed to bad. Every trail had at least some clear ice in places. Some trails (esp. Fallen Timbers) had enough machine-made topcoating, combined with good grooming and low traffic to be fun to ski on.

It was a scary ski day, though...snow was fast of course and I'd get to a long stretch of good edgable snow, get going at a good clip, come over a roller and see large patches of clear ice in front of me to dodge around.

Between the cold and the fear factor, I called it quits after just a few runs.

It's not good right now folks :( This weekend doesn't look like its going to improve things either...

I can't believe you wouldn't ask for your money back.(assuming you paid for a lift and are not a season passholder) I would never pay for that. 86 bucks to a huge resort for that? I don't think so.