• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - Jan 19 2015 MLK - Variable, great in some places

bdfreetuna

Used a couple vouchers for Mount Snow today. Might have chosen to go further north but most of my other passes are blacked out on MLK weekend, and I have prepaid my entire year of skiing as much as possible.

Last night was depressing. Driving through sheets of rain and freezing rain in western Mass. I thought the destruction would be total. Woke up to see Mount Snow saying they got 4" of snow from it (after some rain). Either way, my girlfriend has only been skiing about 10 times, she's not exactly a powder hound just yet. I figured any chance of reasonable conditions and we'd have a good day.

Drive up was kind of icy and sketch. Got to Mount Snow and realized one of us had forgotten our helmet and goggles (her). So I gave up the helmet and she got a new pair of goggles at the shop.

I'll get to the point though. Some of the trails were scratchy. One of them in the Sun brook area or whatever it's called was laughably hard packed. I just skied down it sideways for laughs. There were a few other areas like this. I haven't sharpened my edges in a while, nor am I master of carving ice sculptures, but I found even on the slickest trails I could get an edge with a little gusto.

Other trails were great. A few over on the Sunbrook area actually had some good powder stashes on the sides, it was a lot of fun blasting through those. Overall the mountain was very skiable. MUCH better than the first week of January,

So like I said Patricia is still working on intermediate status, but she handled the blues all day even the scratchy ones pretty well. I decided to take some runs on the North Face and left her at the top lodge to have a beer. I ended up heading over to the woods to the left of Olympic.

Lets just say that was a total game changer. Absolutely fantastic. I've never been in those woods before (actually I'm just starting to figure out where things are at Mount Snow) but WOW these woods are up there with some of the best. Wide open, a little steep and tight up top, with a little bit of a hairy entrance (well, I like that stuff)... then it really opens up. These woods cover some decent acreage. I didn't think Mount Snow had it in 'em. The POWDER was here and while it wasn't insanely deep, it was powder and the fact that it wasn't actually that deep on top of the base made it even easier to choose any line with total abandon. Deep enough to float, tracked out enough to slip and slide. Great woods.

So I basically slayed those woods, then decided to go back up to the top and get Patricia. Nothing could top that, and she had to ski it too. She's never really skied a black diamond before, and she has ducked into a few shorter and lower angle woods with me before but generally she avoids them. It took another beer and a bit of convincing but she followed me down whatever trail it is that gets there, cut across to Olympic (that cut across is definitely hairy for new skiers) and into the woods. Things were a bit tricky at first but we basically traversed as far as we could, I led the way on basically the least hairy way down. She had a couple tumbles but she was having a blast... in her words "It's like an enchanted forest!"

So consider me a happy guy. Here's a few cool pictures and a couple corny ones.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• MtSnow0.jpg
    MtSnow0.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 333
  • MtSnow1.jpg
    MtSnow1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 332
  • MtSnow2.jpg
    MtSnow2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 333
  • MtSnow3.jpg
    MtSnow3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 334
  • MtSnow4.jpg
    MtSnow4.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 333

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Wow, those woods are wide open! Unbelieveable you roped her into going there, and you're still on speaking terms! I'm impressed. She must be very athletic. I've often found woods to escape the niar damage. Kudos to you both.
:daffy:

drjeff

All about the elevation today!! Given the likely inch of rain that fell Sunday, the snowpack held up well!

bdfreetuna

After that she was asking to head into the woods at certain areas where you could tell there was an entrance. Two words: Mission Accomplished :D

It's good though, we've got a 3 day trip at Bolton planned, as well as a bunch of Ski VT passes I want to start using up north a bit, Burke tickets prepaid, and a Saddleback / Sugarloaf vacation booked at the end of March. So Patricia starting to get into the woods thing is a key development!

I'd rather ski woods at a slow pace and help her pick safe lines than rip groomers all day. Just my style. Plus I'm in terrible shape I don't mind resting at all to let someone catch up for a bit!

bdfreetuna

If Mount Snow had a few more expansive wood zones like this I'd be less tempted to drive any further.

A nice thing is the boundary-to-boundary policy... the woods are basically never "closed". I wish all ski areas did this. Some of us like to enjoy our rock skis!

mriceyman

If Mount Snow had a few more expansive wood zones like this I'd be less tempted to drive any further.

A nice thing is the boundary-to-boundary policy... the woods are basically never "closed". I wish all ski areas did this. Some of us like to enjoy our rock skis!
Thats what i loved about stratton.. The woods are always open. Ill have to get bak to mt snow sooner or later

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

Woods off the North Face are a lot of fun. Cool to hear you got out there to explore them.

The weather Sunday was pure crap. We drove back to CT in a friggin downpour around 7:30-8PM.

C-Rex

The Trials are one of my favorite glades. The North Face is definitely the place to be at Mount Snow. It's awesome when you push someone out of their comfort zone and you can see that moment when they get over the fear and discover something new to love about the sport. You're lucky to have a girl that gets out there with you.

MommaBear

If you make it back to Mount Snow, the much smaller and lower angle woods off of One More Time ("The Boonies") are great for learning to ski woods. Trees are further apart. I popped in there on Monday - they need some more snow to really enjoy. Another favorite (with more snow) are the woods off Ego Alley (skier's right of the Ego Alley Lift barn). Trials definitely rule - but the others a bit less intimidating for those starting out.

bdfreetuna

I did go in "The Boonies" but the snow was a bit hard packed. "Trials" were actually easier to handle overall due to the quality of snow.

I'm sure usually it's the other way around

MommaBear

I did go in "The Boonies" but the snow was a bit hard packed. "Trials" were actually easier to handle overall due to the quality of snow.

I'm sure usually it's the other way around

I found the same thing on Monday. It was the elevation thing Dr Jeff referenced - more freezing rain down below made for crunchier snow. :)

gladerider

Thats what i loved about stratton.. The woods are always open. Ill have to get bak to mt snow sooner or later

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

+1

one thing great about mt. snow is it's high base elevation. comes out winner when a lot of other places suffer.
them pix look great!

slatham

Good glades skiers right of ridge between ridge and uncles.

Re: base elevation - agree, but Stratton and Bromley have similar circa 2,000' base elevations.