• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee 2/5/17

medfordmike

Today I decided to use up one of my free Sunapee days I get with my Pico pass. Sunapee is always busy mid season on a weekend. However, I wasn't sure what to expect today. Sunapee is close enough for day trippers like myself to still get home to Boston before the game so it could be a near normal day. At the same time a week out they were offering significantly discounted tickets in four pools ($40, $49, $54, and $64) which seems to indicate they have a reason to drum up business on Super Bowl Sunday. When I looked last night they still had $54 advance tickets. My spouse had grabbed a $49 ticket a few days earlier so we were committed one way or the other.

We skied 8:30-1:30. Bit overcast to start but more sun than clouds by late morning. When we left it was around 32 so comfortable temps. Conditions were groomed packed powder/loose granular on an firm but skiable base. The conditions like the terrain at Sunapee were pretty consistent. Coverage was excellent and deep. No glades were open so a mellow day on the hill which was great for my returning to skiing spouse.

Lines at their worst were about your typical Sunday mid morning. They manage lines well there though so the doubles line was never that bad. As you would expect by late morning we found the lines getting shorter and shorter with each run. On the way out you could see plenty of cars parked in the third lot although it was not full. When we got there around 8:15 we were able to park on the road not far from the older lodge. Overall a good day and worth the ride up from Boston. Busier than I am used to but better crowd wise than other weekends I have experienced at Sunapee.

View from Sunbowl:
sunbowl.jpg

View from Bonanza:
sunapeemain.jpg

Glenn

Coverage looks good. And not a bad view of the surrounding lakes!

Bumpsis

I was there on Sunday too. Since I never ski Sunapee on weekends, I had no scale of comparison for the crowds. Suffice to say that although in the morning it was somewhat busy, the lines were about 5-10 minutes, at most. Once lunch time came, it was almost ski-on.
The mountain made snow on a number of trails which helped a lot. Most trails had firm but edgeable surface and some even had nice layer of loose granular that felt almost like dry corn. Upper and lower Cataract kept the best surface way into the afternoon. Since this is a connecting slope (top of North Triple to Sunbowl), it doesn't get so much traffic.
Since the afternoon got empty, you could really open up and rip the open slopes. We had fun.