• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee Expansion?

Killingtime

Last year I had a choice between Mt Sunapee and Loon. I chose Loon because a friend told me Sunapee was like skiing at Ramshead in Killington for an entire day. I'm sure he was exaggerating but I was not unhappy with my decision. Had a blast at Loon. Looks like Sunapee wants to grow (taken from yesterday's NH Union Leader)

Vail Resorts wins approval to expand Mount Sunapee into West Bowl
CONCORD — Vail Resorts, the new operator of state-owned Mount Sunapee ski area, has won the right to expand the resort to adjacent properties known as the West Bowl thanks to a 3-2 vote of the Executive Council on Wednesday.
The decision, which has been months in the making, drew immediate criticism from those who for years have fought against Sunapee expansion.
“It’s never been the right thing for the people of New Hampshire to obligate themselves to the West Bowl expansion,” said Tom Elliott, a former executive director of Friends of Mount Sunapee. He said using state land to help a private company enrich itself is fundamentally opposed to the whole idea of state parks. “I thought state parks were for protecting land for all the generations to come,” Elliott said

An extra 150 acres sure looks good though....

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Mr Elliott feels that way, then he should be opposed to the leasing of Sunapee to Okemo and now Vail all together.

I don't entirely disagree with him. I like that Cannon remains state owned even if it does lose money most years. Cannon has remained considerably cheaper than Sunapee, especially for state residents.

A nice concession from Vail would be to offer the same Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday deals at Sunapee that Cannon does. A state resident season pass product too.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that this expansion has been on the drawing boards for over 10 years. Sunapee just had to wait for the governor to change over (Gov. John Lynch opposed the deal). The case also went through a lot of litigation. Now you have a more conservative governor and Vail with some serious capital to invest.

I imagine that it is in for more appeals though.

Smellytele

I think that this expansion has been on the drawing boards for over 10 years. Sunapee just had to wait for the governor to change over (Gov. John Lynch opposed the deal). The case also went through a lot of litigation. Now you have a more conservative governor and Vail with some serious capital to invest.

I imagine that it is in for more appeals though.

Governor in NH has no power. It was up to the governor’s council.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is really just a discussion about Lynch's position. It doesn't prove one way or another if he had the power to approve or disapprove anything.

Come on. :roll: It was pretty clear during his time in office that he did not approve the expansion. His commissioner(s) followed his direction. Triple Peaks sued the state over the decision. Granted now the Executive Council has approved, but it took years to get to that point.

slatham

So the State land is leased, so there is compensation for use of the land. Where does that go? If it were to go towards expansion and maintenance of NH State Parks, I think the critics are missing something. If goes into the ether of NH state financing then there's a legitimate issue in my mind.

machski

So the State land is leased, so there is compensation for use of the land. Where does that go? If it were to go towards expansion and maintenance of NH State Parks, I think the critics are missing something. If goes into the ether of NH state financing then there's a legitimate issue in my mind.
It mostly goes to cover Cannon's operations first.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

According to New England Ski Industry.com the expansion is on PRIVATE land? What basis does someone have to complain about this after it has gone though the full regulatory/legal/political process? Seems folks are forgetting the state motto of Live free of die. But it’s America so good ahead and complain about somebody exercising their right of freedom to do what they want with their land, even after adhering to all state requirements.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have only a few days at Sunapee. Even when it's all open the place still feels a little small... especially now with a HSQ on the Sunbowl. Adding another pod of terrain would put it in the big leagues, IMO.

Added parking is good because I hear they run out of parking some weekends?

deadheadskier

Staff member
What I wonder is if they cannibalize some of Okemo's business from the Boston market with this expansion. I agree that the place feels a bit small and the added pod will make a substantial difference. It might become big enough that some Boston skiers don't see the need to drive an hour further to ski basically the same style of terrain at Okemo. It certainly becomes more compelling for the vacation home market with a really nice lake right there.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What I wonder is if they cannibalize some of Okemo's business from the Boston market with this expansion. I agree that the place feels a bit small and the added pod will make a substantial difference. It might become big enough that some Boston skiers don't see the need to drive an hour further to ski basically the same style of terrain at Okemo. It certainly becomes more compelling for the vacation home market with a really nice lake right there.

I think the draw of Okemo is too great for a Sunapee expansion to make a sizable difference. Sunapee lacks one of Okemo's best points- on-mountain lodging and slopeside homes.

jaybird

Vail is lucky they received a favorable expansion vote for West Bowl.
Sunapee just doesn't have enuf vertical or pitch to ever make it out of the intramural category.
Boston skiers generally aren't flipping a coin on Sunapee vs Okemo.
If they're Epic holders, they'd drive all the way to Mansfield.
.. if not, they'd likely stay on Rt 93.

benski

Sunapee just doesn't have enuf vertical or pitch to ever make it out of the intramural category.
On paper Sunnapee looks like a better day trip from Boston than Okemo and if your only skiing blues, Stowe.

Smellytele

And Okemo has pitch? Most trails are the same as the last one.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

Lurked this thread and was curious what a walk up is selling for these days. 98 bucks and I bet the place parks out this week. I could see that going up in the next year or so and once they break 100 things speed up lol.

They should use it to introduce people and families into the sport and help grow their brand to new people back east. I doubt that would ever happen but if you could think longer term it would make sense.

KD7000

I'm all for the expansion, because I'm going to cave and buy Epic passes next season. And likely the year after that, too. Would be nice to rotate Sunapee, Okemo and Stowe for regular days.

Newpylong

That is not completely the case as the Sunapee parking lot is filled to the brim with MA plates on weekends and they have no problem attracting hordes. It's a prime driver for locals to go to Ragged instead.

jaybird

That is not completely the case as the Sunapee parking lot is filled to the brim with MA plates on weekends and they have no problem attracting hordes. It's a prime driver for locals to go to Ragged instead.

Fill the parking lots at will .. Sunapee, Okemo, Ragged .. the list goes on ... they all have limited terrain options.
Sunapee approval only helps Vail to begin justifying their investment. The Okemo investment will pay dividends.
.. and yes, the primary pitch at Blokemo is a knuckleball.

Fact is .. most Boston Skiers opt for I-93 .. that was assured years ago.

8)

Last edited: