• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee Expansion?

Rushski

That is not completely the case as the Sunapee parking lot is filled to the brim with MA plates on weekends and they have no problem attracting hordes. It's a prime driver for locals to go to Ragged instead.

Ragged is much less crowded on weekends....

AND what about their expansion? That would make Ragged go up a notch in my book. Though their bar is very small.

Back to Sunapee, I'm for the expansion. As long as it's all approved...

Smellytele

Ragged is much less crowded on weekends....

AND what about their expansion? That would make Ragged go up a notch in my book. Though their bar is very small.

Back to Sunapee, I'm for the expansion. As long as it's all approved...

That expansion at Ragged - Is it ever going to happen? It has been on the map for YEARS.

machski

That expansion at Ragged - Is it ever going to happen? It has been on the map for YEARS.
It might, I never ever would have thought Ragged in the current layout would have two high speed lifts, but it does. Of course, that capital expense to put the Spear HSQ in probably tanked the expansion for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin Woodsman

According to New England Ski Industry.com the expansion is on PRIVATE land? What basis does someone have to complain about this after it has gone though the full regulatory/legal/political process? Seems folks are forgetting the state motto of Live free of die. But it’s America so good ahead and complain about somebody exercising their right of freedom to do what they want with their land, even after adhering to all state requirements.
You want to take info on that site with a huge grain of salt, as the publisher has a clear agenda he's been pushing with all of his content. The vast majority of the expansion is on State land, and the approvals required are for an expansion of the Sunapee lease to include those State lands. There is a small amount of private land at the base as well, but that's not really the issue here. There had been concern that Triple Peaks would use this as a trojan horse to develop a new condo-laden base area, but that option was killed years ago.

Jully

You want to take info on that site with a huge grain of salt, as the publisher has a clear agenda he's been pushing with all of his content. The vast majority of the expansion is on State land, and the approvals required are for an expansion of the Sunapee lease to include those State lands. There is a small amount of private land at the base as well, but that's not really the issue here. There had been concern that Triple Peaks would use this as a trojan horse to develop a new condo-laden base area, but that option was killed years ago.

So is there no potential for real estate now? I thought that was always the plan actually.

Tin Woodsman

So is there no potential for real estate now? I thought that was always the plan actually.

IIRC, Triple Peaks was precluded from developing residential on their private land at the base in exchange for the right to expand the lease area. That had been the primary concern of locals that this was just a back door effort to build new real estate. But this was years ago so might be a dead letter.

mbedle

IIRC, Triple Peaks was precluded from developing residential on their private land at the base in exchange for the right to expand the lease area. That had been the primary concern of locals that this was just a back door effort to build new real estate. But this was years ago so might be a dead letter.

The real estate aspect is not dead and instead they will transfer a large amount of private land to be added to the park.