• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee

Puck it

I'd rather ski Stratton than Sunapee. But Sunapee rather than Okemo. But the point is moot, as I'll never ski any of these three again. :lol:

Spoiled are we? I will ski it with others if offered, but it is not first choice by any means. It is fun on powder days when you ski the glades and the roped off liftlines.

Rikka

Three generations of my family called Sunapee our home mountain for years. Great family friendly place. We still hit it a couple times a year. A great mountain for the beginner and intermediate to hone there skill. What Sunapee does, it does well. Great views and friendly staff. the grooming, I realize it's not for everyone, but it sure is fun to rip the chord in the bowl first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I think I've stumbled on to the lower portion of this secret stash.=) Hope to see you there when I make my annual Sunapee trip.

yeah, the lower section is easy to spot. it dumps out right under the lift, below where flying goose banks left to the base, you can easliy see the tracks of skiers leaving the woods and heading back to the trail, plus the ski school skies it a lot so you can see a line of kids waiting to drop in. Even if its your first time at Sunapee, you can easily spot it and its really accessable. When do you usually head to Sunapee?

Puck it

Too bad, Lynch blocked the exapsion towards Goshen. There are some steep shots on that side of the mountain that would have been fun.

Lynch decided that he would not try for another term. Hopefully the next guy who steps in approves the Master plan. I looked at the proposal and out of the 10 or so West Bowl trails, 6 are diamonds.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Having a personal preference on areas I enjoy and don't care for is hardly being spoiled....

nothing wrong with being picky......

I have my preferences too, but I can't really think of any area I'd say I won't ski ever again. I've had great days at Stratton, Okemo and Sunapee....almost everywhere I've skied I've had great days except for a few one off's during piss poor conditions. Hell, I'd take all three of those areas over my home mountain of Gunstock in a heartbeat. I guess I just make the best of being on snow wherever I am and always have fun. I might not have epic days everywhere, but I do have good days everywhere, because that's what skiing is to me, "a good day, pretty much no matter what."

Smellytele

nothing wrong with being picky......

I have my preferences too, but I can't really think of any area I'd say I won't ski ever again. I've had great days at Stratton, Okemo and Sunapee....almost everywhere I've skied I've had great days except for a few one off's during piss poor conditions. Hell, I'd take all three of those areas over my home mountain of Gunstock in a heartbeat. I guess I just make the best of being on snow wherever I am and always have fun. I might not have epic days everywhere, but I do have good days everywhere, because that's what skiing is to me, "a good day, pretty much no matter what."

I agree. I have had good days at my least favorite mtn's and bad days at my favorite areas. Like others said I would choose other areas over the ones mentioned but if someone said "hey I got an extra free ticket to Sunapee" I would go in a heart beat.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Generally, my preferences have less to do with terrain and more to do with the general vibe I get from an area. All three of these areas require a bus from the parking lot to the lodge which is a non-starter for me right away before I even get into the lodge. The vibe just goes downhill from there for me at all three of those areas.

I actually enjoyed Stratton's terrain, the trails had a lot of twists and turns. But I don't ever want to ski there again. Why ski at a place I don't enjoy the vibe of when I could spend the same day skiing a place where I enjoy the vibe? So it isn't about the terrain. When I am "grumpy and feeble old man", I'd like to think that I'll still be skiing all my current favorites but perhaps I'll tone things down a bit.

hammer

Generally, my preferences have less to do with terrain and more to do with the general vibe I get from an area. All three of these areas require a bus from the parking lot to the lodge which is a non-starter for me right away before I even get into the lodge. The vibe just goes downhill from there for me at all three of those areas.

I actually enjoyed Stratton's terrain, the trails had a lot of twists and turns. But I don't ever want to ski there again. Why ski at a place I don't enjoy the vibe of when I could spend the same day skiing a place where I enjoy the vibe? So it isn't about the terrain. When I am "grumpy and feeble old man", I'd like to think that I'll still be skiing all my current favorites but perhaps I'll tone things down a bit.
What is your take on the vibe at Loon or Waterville? In all honesty from an intermediate's perspective I don't see much difference...although I'd take Loon over Sunapee mainly because there is more terrain variety.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I wouldn't recommend skiing Colorado then. Save for a handful of areas, pretty much everywhere requires a shuttle bus from parking. Oh, and some of them will charge you $20 to park. :lol:

BTW, should someone put a gun to your head and force you to ski Okemo, Sunapee and Stratton, just get there early. Sunapee and Stratton both offer parking for several hundred cars within 100 feet of the lifts. Okemo is a bit further, but their main lot is about the same walk as Smuggs. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I will say that the circumstances that have lead me to ski Okemo, Stratton or Sunapee in recent years have been either for social reasons or a freebie.

A friend of mine is a Stratton pass holder, so I used a SkiVT voucher to ski there. Okemo I ski with a couple who particularly like ripping groomers and their park. Sunapee was to meet up with 2knees and powhunter to rip bumps and a few years ago powbmps had a freebie he kicked down to me.

If I'm traveling to VT, I would only choose Stratton or Okemo again based on social reasons, otherwise I'm heading to Northern VT. I definitely could see myself hitting Sunapee again for good bumps and being an easy 1:30ish commute. Plenty of days where pretty much everywhere in NH is flat as a pancake and I read about people skiing good freshly seeded bumps on Goose. I'd rather spend my day skiing that, then ripping groomers at Cannon or Wildcat when their woods aren't in play and they don't have decent bumps available.

To each their own though.