• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Collective, how to plan trips?

Duncanator24

I recently purchased my Mountain Collective Pass for the 2017/2018 season. So I am super pumped for that! Just curious if any of you have purchased the pass in previous seasons (or this season) and how it worked out. I am trying to figure out which resorts have easy airport access and plotting trips that hit more than one place.

So far I have come up with the following:
- 6 days included in Utah, all within an hour of SLC (Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird). This will probably be 2 trips.
- 4 days included in Colorado, should be able to fly in/out of Aspen and hit both Aspen Snowmass, Telluride
- 4 days between Sun Valley and Jackson Hole, I think I can fly in Boise, out in Jackson Hole.
- 3 days at Mammoth (I took the extra day there), would plan to travel from LA
- 2 days at Squaw, Could fly into Reno real easily
- 4 days between Banff and Lake Louise, guess I would fly into/out of Calgary

That would be basically my whole season, with the exact dates planned around how the snowfall plays out. I would just look to do 2 trips per month and that would cover all of that. All of this will of course be made cheaper with my planned move to the LA area, but its the same concept either way.

TheArchitect

I'm thinking very hard about doing a long trip starting with 2 days at Alta, 2 days at Snowbird and taking a rest day to drive to Snowbasin for 2 more days. Follow that up with travel day and ski 2 days at Jackson Hole and then fly home. Between the MCP and frequent flier miles my only major expense would be lodging and the rental car.

dlague

I recently purchased my Mountain Collective Pass for the 2017/2018 season. So I am super pumped for that! Just curious if any of you have purchased the pass in previous seasons (or this season) and how it worked out. I am trying to figure out which resorts have easy airport access and plotting trips that hit more than one place.

- 6 days included in Utah, all within an hour of SLC (Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird). This will probably be 2 trips.
- 4 days included in Colorado, should be able to fly in/out of Aspen and hit both Aspen Snowmass, Telluride
- 4 days between Sun Valley and Jackson Hole, I think I can fly in Boise, out in Jackson Hole.

That would be basically my whole season, with the exact dates planned around how the snowfall plays out. I would just look to do 2 trips per month and that would cover all of that. All of this will of course be made cheaper with my planned move to the LA area, but its the same concept either way.

Well sounds like you both have the means to take significant time off. Sound like they would be great trips though.

I'm thinking very hard about doing a long trip starting with 2 days at Alta, 2 days at Snowbird and taking a rest day to drive to Snowbasin for 2 more days. Follow that up with travel day and ski 2 days at Jackson Hole and then fly home. Between the MCP and frequent flier miles my only major expense would be lodging and the rental car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

TheArchitect

/\/\ Almost 22 years at the same firm and 4 weeks vacation a year makes it a lot easier.

Zermatt

Don't forget the 3rd day option too (and 50% other days).

Do you have to pick the 3rd day when you purchase?

Snowbasin is big and different then other places in Utah, but if I had to pass on one area (Alta, Snowbird, JHole, Aspen, Telluride) it would be Snowbasin.

TheArchitect

Snowbasin is big and different then other places in Utah, but if I had to pass on one area (Alta, Snowbird, JHole, Aspen, Telluride) it would be Snowbasin.

Yes, and I already picked Sugarbush for my third day.

jaytrem

I don't know, there's just sooooo may people at Alta/Snowbird. Comparing midweek powder day to midweek powder day I enjoyed Snowbasin a lot more. But I always preferred the quieter places, haven't been there in a while but I guessing it's still not drawing anywhere near the crowds of the more popular places.

Duncanator24

Well sounds like you both have the means to take significant time off. Sound like they would be great trips though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

I really dont have the ability to take a lot of time off, that is why I am talking about doing 2-3 day trips on most of them. I can swing a 3-4 day weekend for a few trips but I definitely dont have the time for a week or more. Finding affordable flights will be key but it shouldnt be too hard if I can fly out of LAX and be in the destination area in like 2 hours. Of course if I have to fly from the East Coast, those 4+ hour flights will get pricier.

Duncanator24

Oh yeah, the 50% off other days option will be real useful at places that I enjoy the most. I will likely end up doing that at Alta/Snowbird and Mammoth just because of how easy they are to get to relative to the others. I am figuring on at like 5-6 extra days I will tack on depending on how much time/money I can devote to skiing next season.

Duncanator24

Yes, and I already picked Sugarbush for my third day.
Makes the most sense to choose the extra day at whatever mountain you will frequent the most. Plus at 50% off, ~$50 a day there is a pretty damn good deal. You could just make like 1 trip out to Utah and it pays for itself pretty much. Everything else is gravy at that point!

xwhaler

Bump
I'm going to be buying the MCP pass for next yr as my brother has one and we are going to plan a trip together.
Some options:
1) Alta/Bird/Snowbasin. Fly into SLC and base out of there for 6-7 days of skiing. This is what I'm pushing for as it seems like the easisest and least amount of travel.

2) 2-3 days SLC then drive up to Sun Valley and get 3 days there. Perk here is free lodging as his in laws have a very nice home there.
Con is it involves more travel.

3) Some combo of SV + JH or SLC + JH.

My brother has skied Jackson Hole a few times and loves it. His home mtn is Sun Valley and hes really encouraging us to make that part of the trip since he knows it so well.

It's possible we may be able to get a free timeshare as well if we stay in SLC/JH so I'm really only paying for flights/MCP pass.
It's cool driving around the west but I don't want to spend half the week in a rental car either.

Thoughts/opinions?

jaytrem

Bump
I'm going to be buying the MCP pass for next yr as my brother has one and we are going to plan a trip together.
Some options:
1) Alta/Bird/Snowbasin. Fly into SLC and base out of there for 6-7 days of skiing. This is what I'm pushing for as it seems like the easisest and least amount of travel.

2) 2-3 days SLC then drive up to Sun Valley and get 3 days there. Perk here is free lodging as his in laws have a very nice home there.
Con is it involves more travel.

3) Some combo of SV + JH or SLC + JH.

My brother has skied Jackson Hole a few times and loves it. His home mtn is Sun Valley and hes really encouraging us to make that part of the trip since he knows it so well.

It's possible we may be able to get a free timeshare as well if we stay in SLC/JH so I'm really only paying for flights/MCP pass.
It's cool driving around the west but I don't want to spend half the week in a rental car either.

Thoughts/opinions?

Might be worth holding off on SV until the next year, good size expansion coming. Not sure how much you care about that. 4.5 hour drive isn't terrible though, can also break up the drive with a little Pomerelle night skiing. You also get 1/2 off extra Sun Valley tix (or a 3rd free for 1 place?), correct? . If I had free lodging up there I'd stay a least 3 days. Super nice mountain, only catch is it's not known for the getting as much snow as others. Also the oldest average skier age that I've ever seen by far (old guys skiing fast). Everyone was very friendly, while on snowboard I even got a couple skier tows across the top. Lots of nice bumps too, if you're into that.

jaytrem

Would you do SV + Jackson or SLC + SV if given a choice?

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I've done jh+sv never did ut+sv. I'd take other things into consideration, most likely what flight can I get with miles and fly direct. JH is actually an easier freebie from Newark last time I checked. But all things being equal I'd probably choose jh hit at least targhee on the way. Either I'm sure you'll have a great time. Be sure to try the salad bar at sv, it's like the best deal ever. Even had nice big pieces of salmon included.

abc

I did a Squaw-Mammoth combo in a 4-day "long weekend", last season:

- Flew into Reno, late night arrival, bed down in Reno. (you don't want to be driving so late at the night, 2/3am of eastern time)
- Early rise in the morning, Squaw for 2 days (you can either go back to Reno for the night, or stay in Truckee)
- At end of day 2 of skiing Squaw, drive to Mammoth. It's a bit of a drive so late arrival again.
- 2 days in Mammoth
- Drive the 3 hrs back to Reno and take a redeye back.

Couple details: I did it late season, so no worry about road condition. Also, I used to live in California so I know all the travel alternative if weather is a factor. I got POWDER in Mammoth! (but clear roads back to Reno)

Duncanator24

I am actually thinking that I might want to plan to make most of my flights into SLC and just drive from there. Flights to JH and anywhere near the Colorado mountains seem to be expensive and/or include connecting flights. But the drive from SLC to any of those (JH, SV, Aspen, Telly) really isnt that long. I can easily book flights to SLC well ahead of time and then just go to whichever mountain has more snow at the time. Gives some flexibility since I really can't book flights 1-2 weeks out without paying out the ass (better to have 3-4 weeks to book). Then I would plan 2 trips up to Calgary to hit Revelstoke and the other two up there.

The biggest limiting factor will be vacation time. Real hard to make a trip longer than 3-4 days. But that should work without skipping too much sleep.

KustyTheKlown

an acquaintance facebook friend of mine either lost his job or quit and had some sort of severance period, and he and his fiance did mountain collective the most epic way possible (and was epically annoying about it on social media, but that could also be a twinge of jealousy). i think they started in jackson? but they rented a car and did something like jackson>sun valley>alta/bird>aspen>telluride>taos>las vegas>mammoth>squaw>hawaii. it was a 50 day trip. every day he would put up a major social media diary entry which was kind of written the way you'd describe a trip to your grandmother. he's annoying and doesn't have the skills to appreciate all of those major terrain resorts, but the trip looked pretty amazing.