• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Msa-3/23/16

JimG.

Staff member
Today was the day...you know it, the day that you will remember all summer until next season. There were no clouds today and the sun was brilliant. Temps were -2 to 3 C. This was going to be a corn fest.

We hit the gondola at about 10am to give the snow time to soften and we hit as many bumps as we could. La Gondoleuse was finally soft and enjoyable from top to bottom. La Gondoleuse Haut is a serious bump pitch; I have not skied bumps that were that tasty since my last trip out west years ago. I spent the whole trip keeping up with my 21 and 13 year old sons. Skiing 2000' vertical bump trails chasing kids down gets tiring. Between taking shaky pics and realizing that being on the trail gave no perspective of it's awesomeness I resorted to a Gondi sequence. Unfortunately the sun bleached out all contrast and the bumps were invisible. That's me in the selfie catching my breath.

We repeated La Gondoleuse and then hit Le Canyon and Les Sept Chutes which both held more sweet bumps. Those are the 2 narrow trails viewers left of La Gondoleuse Haut.

The PM was spent in the trees off of La Crete. We skied here until the end. Over and over. La Brunelle (the last pic) was the ROTD.

We were all exhausted at the end. Best day of the season for me. And I got to share it with 2 of my sons.

Attachments

• photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 178
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 176
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 177
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 178
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 178

jimk

Nice. There is a dang good dropoff and a couple steep, narrow trails in that section of mtn under and around the upper part of that gondi line!

JimG.

Staff member
The base of these mountains are at sea level; when you read that the summits are at 2300-2400' it sounds unimpressive.

Both MSA and Le Massif are big mountains.

jimk

You were a genius to head up there. Do you think you should have gone a couple other times this winter? Was Quebec significantly better than New England much of this winter??

JimG.

Staff member
You were a genius to head up there. Do you think you should have gone a couple other times this winter? Was Quebec significantly better than New England much of this winter??

I take no credit for genius...our poster granite planted the seeds and KustytheKlown and Cannonball reinforced the idea with their trip reports. Cannonball hit the powder jackpot his trip was just after a 1 meter dump. I got the epic corn harvest. It was great.

Quebec had a below average winter but still completely blew the NE away. If I had known how good it was yes I would have gone more. Definitely would have and will hit Tremblant next season too.

granite

I've been looking-waiting for your reports, thanks. Sounds like you had a great trip and had good weather and conditions. Did your two boys like the cultural aspect of going abroad?

JimG.

Staff member
I've been looking-waiting for your reports, thanks. Sounds like you had a great trip and had good weather and conditions. Did your two boys like the cultural aspect of going abroad?

My boys are very adaptable and really seemed at home there. They did notice how nice everyone was and how they tried hard to make us feel at home.

I went a little out of our way going home and drove them through Quebec. It didn't add much to the drive and it really is a beautiful city.

JimG.

Staff member
Yes, it's near the Basilica. I was more impressed with the marble & stained glass work in the Basilica. Especially the alters behind the main alter.

I know it's next to the Basilica, but what happens there? It's a weird name and I envision rabbis on motorcycles, no disrespect.

The Basilica itself is majestic and reminds me a bit of Paris.

skiadikt

sold ... great stuff jim. did you prefer one place over the other?

JimG.

Staff member
sold ... great stuff jim. did you prefer one place over the other?

I wish we had been there longer so we could go to Le Massif a second day. Tough when you have ski in ski out at another mountain even if it is only a half hour drive.

Le Massif is a true expert's mountain. Next time I will also bring AT gear to take advantage of the unpatrolled trees where Cannonball went when he was there. Conditions in that area were not good during our visit, a lot of breakable crust, but patrol did not tell us to stay out, only that we would have an exhausting hike without skins. Post holing through breakable crust did not seem like a good idea. We did ski several on map glades near the top entrance to that area and they were really good.

I would not pass on another trip to MSA either. Great bump trails there! Since they are close together and MSA is the only close "resort" area with accomodations I really think you should try both places.

JimG.

Staff member
Been thinking about returning to Canada to get 4 more days in and hit 50; probably as far as I'll get but why not dream?

Been looking through my pics from 2 weeks ago and found a nice action shot of my 2 boys in the trees at Massif. You will find them in the center of the photo but I also noticed you can see the sheer drop to the St. Lawrence through the trees. You can see the shoreline with snow and the blue past that is water, not sky:
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 21.jpg
    photo 21.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 130

Jully

With the blue water at the top of the picture you can easily convince yourself that the picture was taken looking up the slope at the sky or down the slope at the river. Very trippy!

JimG.

Staff member
Sadly, I just checked their website and they are closing after this weekend. MSA will be weekends only after this weekend.

MSA had some killer bumps and nice trees. Trying to figure out how I can convince my wife to let me go back up there for a weekend.

Also looking at La Valinouet which is 100% natural snow. They had over 600cm of natural snow this season and it also looks like an expert oriented area. That's up near Lac St. Jean where I have visited before on fishing trips. Trying to figure out when they plan on closing.