• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Moosilauke 11/8/07

montvm

Mt. Moosilauke

Date Hiked: 11/8/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Gorge Brook to summit. Carriage Trail to South Summit, down to Snapper back to Gorge Brook to complete the loop

Difficulty: Gorge Brook Easy until higher elevation due to 4-6 inches of snow

Conditions: Mixed bag at the beginning of the trail ice snow mud, All snow upper elevation.

Special Equipment: Warm close for summit, could have used stabilizers maybe. Good sense of direction once on the summit

Trip Report:

Met my buddy Matt at Auburn Stop and Save at 6am. Matt and I got to Ravine lodge at 8:50, changed and started our hike at 9:00am. Temp was 26F at trail head. George Brook starts off as an easy graded wide trail following the brook. The brook was running pretty good and was very pretty to walk next too. Thet trail conditions were a mixed bag of a light dusting of snow, some patches of ice, and some bare spots. Nothing to difficult to negotiate.

The trail didn’t get steep until after the last reliable source of water. Even after this, IMO it never got too strenuous. The trail climbs at a moderate pace and only became more difficult once the snow began to accumulate. By the time that we had climbed into the alpine zone there was a good 4-5 inches of snow. Luckily there had been two hikers ahead of us. This amount of snow on the trail made it seem as though it was more strenuous than it really was. I think with a few more inches we would have needed snow shoes.

Once we were in the Krumholtz snow got even deeper, and on the summit of Moosilauke there where some pretty good sized drifts, I post holed a few times up to my knees.

We made the summit in three hours, book time. I thought that this was pretty good considering how many times we stopped to shoot pictures. The summit was socked in so no views. It had a very surreal feeling as like being on a desolate moonscape. It is winter in the whites above 4000ft. If the weather continues to stay below freezing, it won't be long until traction and snowshoes will be needed.

Coming over the summit on the Carriage trail was a neat experience too. Although it wasn't snowing, because we were socked in and everything was covered in snow and rime ice it was very difficult to see the cairns, (SP?). Luckily we had some foot prints to follow, so it wasn't that bad.

South summit was pretty cool. Also socked in. I bet that the views from the south summit are pretty awesome.

Once we left the South Summit and began our descent on the Carriage road, we were out of the clouds and had some views. The rest of the trip was uneventful. Took a total of 6 hours which is book time. Our route was a total of 7.6 miles and 2400 feet of elevation gain. Pretty easy compared to the likes of Beaver Brook trail which is the same distance to the summit but boasts 3300 feet of elevation gain, iron hand holds built into the granite, and wooden steps also built into the granite. I hiked Beaver Brook 5-10 years ago, and remember how hard it was. I would like to hike it again but later in the winter. I think that it would be pretty cool.

Anyways, here are some pics, hope you enjoy.

Cheers,
Mike

http://picasaweb.google.com/montvm1/2007_11_08MtMoosilauke

Last edited:

montvm

Fantastic trip report and fabulous pictures! Your photography skills are top-notch!

Winter has definitely arrived in the Whites!

Thanks. Lots of help from the camera i use, Canon Power Shot S5IS, and from Picasa2 software, http://picasa.google.com/.

The camera is a little big and bulky for hiking but hey whats another 3lbs or so when i'm all ready carrying a -40 sleeping bag and sleeping pad for just a day trip plus all of the extra clothes.

I deffinatly over pack, but I know that if i have to spend the night i will be ok.