• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 20-21 Intel

icecoast1

I would choose the GSE any day if given the option. The slightly quicker rope speed of the BB is made up and then plenty more by not waiting to load it.
Same here. I never got the fascination people have with standing in line just to ride the bluebird when the grand summit is ski on. I'm not talking about those days when it's nuclear cold or snowmaking going on either, people do this on sunny warm days.

Zand

Same here. I never got the fascination people have with standing in line just to ride the bluebird when the grand summit is ski on. I'm not talking about those days when it's nuclear cold or snowmaking going on either, people do this on sunny warm days.
I don't understand the fascination with lowering the damn thing on said warm sunny days either.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Skiing solo I avoid the Bubble as I would not want to share with a stranger with Bubble down

Skiing with my kids I usually do the Bubble if the line is only a little worse as:
1. The little warm ups the Bubble provides keeps them enthusiastic about skiing longer days, especially as
2. We want to avoid indoor warm up breaks as much as possible due to Covid

GregoryIsaacs

Nothing beats the ASC days where the GSE would be absolutely slammed and you could still ski right onto the Summit Local..... Probably averaged a 20-min ride but I do remember the liftline being pretty low/sheltered from crazy winds etc.

abc

Skiing solo I avoid the Bubble as I would not want to share with a stranger with Bubble down
That was my concern when I rode it yesterday. That was the reason I refused to pair with a couple but only shared the chair with another single. Fortunately, nobody lower the darn thing on the few trips I rode it.

Today, it's warmer. So I wasn't worried about anyone lowering the bubble. Except the lines are quite a bit longer. So singles are paired with double, no question asked.

If Friday afternoon is like this, I don't want to know what Saturday and Sunday will be like. I'm going cross country skiing for this weekend (beside, it'll be brutally cold both days). I'll return on Monday when the crowds are gone.

Today's condition was excellent. It kept on snowing, especially in the afternoon. It was coming down kind of hard. So by 3 o'clock, there were actually fluffy powder on some of the lessor traveled areas.

So for those of you who must ski tomorrow, and can handle the cold, be there first chair and you might get some powder. Otherwise, there're also some leftover in the woods too.

drjeff

That was my concern when I rode it yesterday. That was the reason I refused to pair with a couple but only shared the chair with another single. Fortunately, nobody lower the darn thing on the few trips I rode it.

Today, it's warmer. So I wasn't worried about anyone lowering the bubble. Except the lines are quite a bit longer. So singles are paired with double, no question asked.

If Friday afternoon is like this, I don't want to know what Saturday and Sunday will be like. I'm going cross country skiing for this weekend (beside, it'll be brutally cold both days). I'll return on Monday when the crowds are gone.

Today's condition was excellent. It kept on snowing, especially in the afternoon. It was coming down kind of hard. So by 3 o'clock, there were actually fluffy powder on some of the lessor traveled areas.

So for those of you who must ski tomorrow, and can handle the cold, be there first chair and you might get some powder. Otherwise, there're also some leftover in the woods too.
Just an FYI for you... Mondays have become the new Sundays many times this season.

Bubble down when I ride it with my wife and a paired single tomorrow. Winds circulating through it. That's my risk comfort zone

And a squall just rolled through that put down just over an inch in about 20 minutes

drjeff

Haven't you medical people already got your vaccine jab?
Dose #1 - yes
Dose #2 - next week

Still went bubble down when it was me, or me and my wife with a single on the opposite side of that flying couch.

Air flow, and looking at the realistic science about the transmission risk in that situation, and my personal comfort with the risk.

Honest more worried about the potential effects of fumes from the ski wax I apply multiple days a week than the bubble down risk, or heck, even the Covid risk while I am at work, less than 2 feet from people's open mouths with air and water spray going in and out of my patients mouths.

I actually wear a higher level mask while waxing skis than working on my patients after looking at all of the risks

abc

Still went bubble down when it was me, or me and my wife with a single on the opposite side of that flying couch.
What I mean to imply is you're no longer at risk. So you can share chair with as many as you like and have the bubble down, as long as your chair-mates are ok with that. It's their risk, not knowing you. But you're safe.

Today I share the bubble with a double. But they're not a "couple" (2 guys). So instead of sitting on the edge together, one sat at the middle. At least they didn't insist on closing the bubble. Nevertheless, that was the last time I rode the bubble.

I'm not ever going to ski on weekends there any more. And using the reservation sold out days as a guide, there're no other Vail mountain less busy than Mount Snow. So it's no weekend skiing for me, period. Don't want to deal with the pressure of having to share chair when the line is long. (also can't stand in line for long time in my new boots)

So far, Mount Snow fits my need. There's only 1 bubble chair, which I can easily avoid on busy or cold days by toughing it out on the Grand Summit. (I'm ok as long as the bubble is up, even if the 3rd person sits in the middle). I'm just not going to take the risk of people wanting the bubble down. So, bubble only on warm days, or days so quiet that I don't have to share with doubles. Not that I ride the Bluebird that often. The North Face is a good pod with relatively light traffic, which I spent most of my time in.

The biggest plus of Mount Snow for me is the close-in parking by the Canyon Express. I don't have to walk in my new boot liner. Today I parked as the 2nd car to the snow! :) So 5 feet to putting my skis on. Happy! I don't know of another Vail Mountain in NY/VT that I can park that close to snow so easily. Granted, once my boot is broken in, I can theoretically explore other mountains that requires more walking.

abc

Just an FYI for you... Mondays have become the new Sundays many times this season.
Thanks for the warning.

Some said Friday is the new Saturday too. But yesterday at Snow wasn’t too bad. A lot more people than the previous 2 days. But by no means crowded. Only the Bluebird had a noticeable line.

So hopefully Monday will be no worse than Friday.

mlctvt

The biggest plus of Mount Snow for me is the close-in parking by the Canyon Express. I don't have to walk in my new boot liner. Today I parked as the 2nd car to the snow! :) So 5 feet to putting my skis on. Happy! I don't know of another Vail Mountain in NY/VT that I can park that close to snow so easily. Granted, once my boot is broken in, I can theoretically explore other mountains that requires more walking.
How early did you have to arrive to get that close? Last weekday I was there that lot was quite full rather early.

abc

7:30 according to the early birds I parked next to.

I usually got there after 12, as I had a bunch of morning meeting I need to attend. There's usually space as people start to leave.

(this was all weekday, weekend maybe a different story)

Last edited:

icecoast1

How early did you have to arrive to get that close? Last weekday I was there that lot was quite full rather early.
Parking is almost always better at Carinthia, unless you are trying to get there early for first tracks off the summit. You can pretty much ski right to your car when you're done and its only a short walk to the lift

drjeff

REALLY GOOD today. The cold temps and the snow globe effect that has been on going since the main storm departed last Sunday has put down about 3 feet, with no melting, in the last week!

Some lines were long. The skiing was great with my wife and I regularly finding extended runs of boot top deep powder on trails that certainly aren't off the beaten path for most of the morning!!

It's REALLY good right now, regardless of the line situation ll!

ctdubl07

Longtime Lurker, first time poster.
Just letting you folks know you have yet another, MS know it all which Im sure, completes your day.
One other thing, I dont think Vail sucks.....

drjeff

Cold out on the hill this morning. Crowds are light. The wait for the Bluebird (10-15 minutes) is worth it and getting out of the headwind on the ride up!!

abc

Cold out on the hill this morning. Crowds are light. The wait for the Bluebird (10-15 minutes) is worth it and getting out of the headwind on the ride up!!
Days like this is why I cross country ski! :)

Plus, I can do that rolling out of bed, driving a short way to an uncrowded parking lot... no reservation, no standing in lines.

But cx skiing sucks when there's 20" of wet heavy powder. That's when I head to the hills and let the lift take me up, lines notwithstanding.

drjeff

Beautiful out this morning! While the air temps are similarly cold as yesterday, with basically no wind, it feels "balmy" compared to yesterday.

Snow is soft and enjoyable both on the ungroomed naturals as well as the snowmaking groomer trails.

Light crowds, with maybe 1/2 full queue lanes on the Bluebird and GSE with most other lifts my wife and I have been on all over the mountain being practically ski on.

Mid morning coffee break is just about done! Time to go get some more laps in!