• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Snow Backhanded Me Big Time

Zand

I bought the Cyber Monday lodging pack, have used 4 nights on it and was planning on using the 5th tonight at Snow Lake. I got an email a couple weeks ago saying to get the nights used before they close the Lodge around the 2nd weekend of April. So tonight I leave work and start driving up there and called around 5:30 to book a room (hasn't been a problem all year even on ultra busy St Pat's weekend). Finally got through to Grand Summit who informed me Snow Lake is now closed on weekdays. NOWHERE on the hotel website, snow report, or ANY other place on website does it say this. I ask if I can apply the $47 that the deal is worth towards a room at Grand Summit...no of course not. Due to my work schedule I can only go up there on Thursday nights and now I can't use my last night even though there was no warning that Snow Lake was going to be weekends only.

Needless to say I'm quite ticked at Mt Snow and even more pissed off that I'm gonna miss out on a powder day tomorrow because I really don't want to drive there AND back in those conditions. I sent them an email saying they somehow better make good on that night I have left because I'm now strongly considering not renewing my season pass.

Just really super bummed right now...been looking forward to tomorrow all week and now I'm back home with no powder day to look forward to.

bdfreetuna

Sorry to hear that. I never get when places forget the motto "the customer is always right"-- especially when all you're asking for is credit you can apply to spend more money with them.

It's never worth burning people in these situations and causing hard feelings. So much easier and better for business to extend the benefit of the doubt.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry to hear that. I never get when places forget the motto "the customer is always right"-- especially when all you're asking for is credit you can apply to spend more money with them.

It's never worth burning people in these situations and causing hard feelings. So much easier and better for business to extend the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed. Mt. Snow is being penny wise and pound foolish in this situation

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

That's a drag. But why drive home? Just find another place to stay. At least you'd get some runs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnt1234

man, that sucks.

Seems to me you could have gone to the grand summit and yelled....er...explained your situation....in person and got better response?

Crap. What a bummer.

Jcb890

I bought the Cyber Monday lodging pack, have used 4 nights on it and was planning on using the 5th tonight at Snow Lake. I got an email a couple weeks ago saying to get the nights used before they close the Lodge around the 2nd weekend of April. So tonight I leave work and start driving up there and called around 5:30 to book a room (hasn't been a problem all year even on ultra busy St Pat's weekend). Finally got through to Grand Summit who informed me Snow Lake is now closed on weekdays. NOWHERE on the hotel website, snow report, or ANY other place on website does it say this. I ask if I can apply the $47 that the deal is worth towards a room at Grand Summit...no of course not. Due to my work schedule I can only go up there on Thursday nights and now I can't use my last night even though there was no warning that Snow Lake was going to be weekends only.

Needless to say I'm quite ticked at Mt Snow and even more pissed off that I'm gonna miss out on a powder day tomorrow because I really don't want to drive there AND back in those conditions. I sent them an email saying they somehow better make good on that night I have left because I'm now strongly considering not renewing my season pass.

Just really super bummed right now...been looking forward to tomorrow all week and now I'm back home with no powder day to look forward to.
That sucks man. I noticed last Sunday when we showed up that the Sundance lodge was closed, however, nothing about that on the Snow Report or anywhere on the website. I thought that was odd, but it wasn't a huge deal as we just had to drive to the Main Lodge instead. Hopefully they'll do something to make it right.

I agree, he wanted to spend more money there... that's an odd stance for them to take. However, many business do the same thing, which I just don't get most times.

Agreed. Mt. Snow is being penny wise and pound foolish in this situation

Agreed.

drjeff

The situation could of been handled better for sure!

Late season (basically anything after St Paddy's day in my book across all the ski industry), I've learned to never make assumptions about what may or may not be open on a last minute basis, as once mid March rolls around, the foreign seasonal workers who comprise such a significant percentage of the full operations work force at so many ski areas go home, most places just don't have the staff to keep everything up and running, especially on a mid week situation.

The likelihood with Snow Lake Lodge, is it has had historically very limited mid week reservations in the 2nd half of March, so they make the choice to put their limited staffing resources at the Grand Summit - they may of had an uptick in reservations at the Grand Summit ahead of the storm as well......

Jully

While that's all true; it's 2017. Update your website well in advance of operational changes.

Agreed. I'm still amazed at how many resorts have a terrible website with very few operational updates. Wachusett is one that comes to mind and makes ZERO sense. Lodging updates on a website should be even easier and even more important to update.

cdskier

While that's all true; it's 2017. Update your website well in advance of operational changes.

Agreed. It isn't difficult.

Absolutely. Especially in this case it is near the end of the season so not like the OP is trying to take advantage of them and asking for something unreasonable. Mt Snow is the one that seems to have not properly communicated the midweek closing of this lodge. If they clearly stated it somewhere I could see them having a case.

I'd call back and ask for a supervisor or something. I could understand them not wanting to simply give another room somewhere else at no additional cost, but there's really no downside to Mt Snow turning the $47 into a credit to use as partial payment for another room.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Nice to see you're back. Wish it was for better reasons. This is a bad situation...sorry to hear that.

drjeff

http://www.mountsnow.com/ski-ride/snow-report/

The closing of the Sundance Lodge that JCB mentioned he encountered is listed at the bottom of their daily snow report, and actually has been for the now almost 2 weeks since they closed it for the season.

As for the closing of Snow Lake Lodge midweek and what Zand encountered, I guess that the concept of booking lodging, while on the road to a place, rather than ahead of time, isn't something that I do, so, even with the pre bought night plans that he did, I guess in my mind, I'd always be checking ahead of time for availability, because you honestly never know when something like this mid week closing of the Lodge will happen, or even say a sizable tour group would have booked out the entire lodge (something that does happen at that property at various times in the winter, summer, and fall.

Could it have been handled better? No doubt.

Should their snow report start off with what facilities are closed instead of the # of lifts and trails open? Highly debatable

Was there some lack of planning and/or looking for information ahead of time going on as well? Yes

Will there ever be a "perfect" system for everyone? Highly doubtful, which is why I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to deal with the front line of customer service

VTKilarney

Most people don't look to a daily snow report to find out which hotels are open. That only helps the regulars, and it would be far from the first place that I would think to look.

Jcb890

http://www.mountsnow.com/ski-ride/snow-report/

The closing of the Sundance Lodge that JCB mentioned he encountered is listed at the bottom of their daily snow report, and actually has been for the now almost 2 weeks since they closed it for the season.

As for the closing of Snow Lake Lodge midweek and what Zand encountered, I guess that the concept of booking lodging, while on the road to a place, rather than ahead of time, isn't something that I do, so, even with the pre bought night plans that he did, I guess in my mind, I'd always be checking ahead of time for availability, because you honestly never know when something like this mid week closing of the Lodge will happen, or even say a sizable tour group would have booked out the entire lodge (something that does happen at that property at various times in the winter, summer, and fall.

Could it have been handled better? No doubt.

Should their snow report start off with what facilities are closed instead of the # of lifts and trails open? Highly debatable

Was there some lack of planning and/or looking for information ahead of time going on as well? Yes

Will there ever be a "perfect" system for everyone? Highly doubtful, which is why I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to deal with the front line of customer service
Oh it is there, LOL! I just figured it'd be up in the actual write-up like it had been in years past. Or at least they made mention of it in years past I thought in the report itself. I don't think I've ever scrolled to the bottom of their Snow Report page to look at the lodges down there and I probably check their Snow Report page at least once per week.

I don't think the facilities being open or closed should be in the beginning of the written daily report either, but at the end would be nice or even a simple note saying to scroll down to see lodging and facility info at the bottom of the page would be fine.

drjeff

Oh it is there, LOL! I just figured it'd be up in the actual write-up like it had been in years past. Or at least they made mention of it in years past I thought in the report itself. I don't think I've ever scrolled to the bottom of their Snow Report page to look at the lodges down there and I probably check their Snow Report page at least once per week.

I don't think the facilities being open or closed should be in the beginning of the written daily report either, but at the end would be nice or even a simple note saying to scroll down to see lodging and facility info at the bottom of the page would be fine.

You are 100% correct! A simple line at the end of the daily written report saying "Sundance Lodge is closed for the season" should be there - I know about 2 weeks ago leading up to the weekend that Sundance Lodge closed for the season they did have a line something like "This is the last weekend of operations for the Sundance Base Lodge" but the follow up to that wasn't prominently displayed.

Too many events going on for the marketing department to promote lately I guess!

yeggous

To me it's just a bizarre concept to be looking for a hotel on the mountain. I am used to a world where you stay off mountain in a central town.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

The situation could of been handled better for sure!

Late season (basically anything after St Paddy's day in my book across all the ski industry), I've learned to never make assumptions about what may or may not be open on a last minute basis, as once mid March rolls around, the foreign seasonal workers who comprise such a significant percentage of the full operations work force at so many ski areas go home, most places just don't have the staff to keep everything up and running, especially on a mid week situation.

The likelihood with Snow Lake Lodge, is it has had historically very limited mid week reservations in the 2nd half of March, so they make the choice to put their limited staffing resources at the Grand Summit - they may of had an uptick in reservations at the Grand Summit ahead of the storm as well......

Come on drjeff…the least you can do is offer Zand your couch for the night

drjeff

Come on drjeff…the least you can do is offer Zand your couch for the night

Late evening, midweek arrivals when we're not up there ='s no way to get a key from my condo complexes clubhouse building ;)