• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow firing Guns Sunday?

POW

GM saying theres a good chance the guns get fired up Sunday night at Mt Snow! NOAA has an interesting forecast for the end of next week. Cant wait to get this season started!

Glenn

One of the ski shops I liked on FB said they had them going last night. But I'm awaiting confirmation from a fellow Homer.

Tonight is plauseable....it's just a tick above 39F north of Bratt right now...supposed to be in the low 20's tonight. Probably cooler at the mountain.

POW

NOAA has some talk about snow weds- thurs...

havent heard of any changes taking place for the upcoming season at snow this yr. Has anyone else?

ScottySkis

NOAA has some talk about snow weds- thurs...

havent heard of any changes taking place for the upcoming season at snow this yr. Has anyone else?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Possible north eastern storm coming those day's.

drjeff

No snow was made Saturday night - the temps were borderline, but the humidity wasn't favorable at all :( There was a heavy frost/rime layer on the top few hundred vertical feet when I woke up this morning, and most of that frost was still holding strong from what I could see off my back deck, especially on the Northface as I was leaving about 2PM.

Also saw (and heard) one of the snowmakers testing the fan on a sled mounted fan gun that is currently deployed near the Canyon Quad side of the Bluebird storrage barn about noontime. Lights were on in the Snow Lake pump house about 2PM, and the pipe work that they had been doing from the Mountain Ops building over to and heading on up the beginner hill has been finished and backfilled!

I'm going to be flipping back and forth tonight to Mount Snow's webcam anxiously looking for the lights on the fan guns all lit up!

Quite crowded this weekend at Mount Snow, unfortunately though a great deal of the crowd was because of many folks being still without power and/or having had their primary homes in the CT/NY/NJ area damaged by Sandy :( Lost count the number of times I heard some of my Mount Snow "family" refer to themselves as "refugees" :eek:

Mount Snow though, after having the area ravaged by Irene last year and seeing all the help from second home owners who lived in areas not nearly as affected as the Wilmington/West Dover area was is now looking to "pay it forward" and help out the folks and areas who helped them with Sandy recovery efforts - LOTS of "Sandy donation jars" at businesses all around the Mount Snow area this weekend, and I will say that in an effort to help the "pay it forward" effort, I really hope that the temps cooperate this week and that a big crowd will be there next weekend and help with paying it forward!

drjeff

One of the ski shops I liked on FB said they had them going last night. But I'm awaiting confirmation from a fellow Homer.

Tonight is plauseable....it's just a tick above 39F north of Bratt right now...supposed to be in the low 20's tonight. Probably cooler at the mountain.

The "boys" in that ski shop were a bit delirious, likely from the combo of the added stress that the full beards they're trying to grow right now is putting on their brains and the effect of the smell from all the new boxes of merchandise they've been opening up recently(inspite of 2 shopping trips there in the last 2 weeks by my family, they still have tons of great stuff! )

One of the guys who made that post last night, as a sign of probably his soon to commence the snowmaking season giddyness today, was even pushing a certain son of mine around the shop at a high rate of speed after he had put him on the handtruck they had been using to move all the gear around the shop! :lol: Yup, not only IMHO does that shop have the best gear selection in the Mount Snow area, but they DEFINATELY have a great time while at work! :)

POW

Cannnnnnot wait for this season to kick off. Got a bunch of pto days saved for dec, lets hope the temps start to drop.

vcunning

Checked at 3 am, didn't see anything. Saw a photo from one of the groomers around 7 with them blowing. Mount Snow's FB post says there are about 100 guns running between the main face and Carinthia. It will be interesting to see what Wed/Thursday brings. I'm guessing they wouldn't be making snow if they thought the Nor'Easter would wash it out.

I wonder if this might change my plans this weekend (from stocking up the ski condo on Saturday morning to making some early turns)

dmc

Buddy works there - guns are on!!!! WOOOHOO!!!

POW

Checked the webcams ...guns are blasting! Guessing a opening this weekend of some sorts depending on what happens weds and thurs. Not sure that the long term temps will be beneficial for this early snow to stick around long though. Fingers crossed.

Glenn

Jeff...my wife may have a coat or 6 from there...

Saw the guns on the webcam earlier. Sweet!

vcunning

Your lovely wife has starred in a commercial from that venue.

Soft opening of the Cunningham Bar and Grill in it's new location this Friday. Conveniently located near the Last Chair and the West Dover PD. Open every weekend and holiday starting the 17th.

And coming in December . . . VinceandAlli.tv

The-Vince-and-Alli-Show.jpg

Jeff...my wife may have a coat or 6 from there...

Saw the guns on the webcam earlier. Sweet!

ScottySkis

Also Emilos ski shop in NYc is going with a bus on Saturday for 60$ if anyone is interested, It's on their Facebook page.

POW

Cool that the proceeds are going to hurricane sandy victims!

drjeff

Also Emilos ski shop in NYc is going with a bus on Saturday for 60$ if anyone is interested, It's on their Facebook page.

Just so there is NO confusion. This as of now will be a "soft opening" of Mount Snow this weekend, with just the beginner hill and a mini park set up open with all proceeds going to Sandy relief.

As of now, they WON'T be opening up anything more than that, with weather permitting top to bottom with Carinthia too scheduled to open the following Saturday the 17th. So as of now, if someone is headed up to Mount Snow and expecting to be riding the Bluebird Express to the summit, the only way you'll get to experience the Bluebird is by sitting in the demo chair that is in the main base area

WoodCore

Looks like they may be having some issues with the system. From the web cams this morning all of the Standard guns have been shut down. I wonder if they blew another water main?

Glenn

Your lovely wife has starred in a commercial from that venue.

Soft opening of the Cunningham Bar and Grill in it's new location this Friday. Conveniently located near the Last Chair and the West Dover PD. Open every weekend and holiday starting the 17th.

And coming in December . . . VinceandAlli.tv

View attachment 6807

The approval at the end always makes me :lol: owitz.