• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My lil guy Iceman yesterday

2knees

i'll have to look at these tonight. i'm sure he's killing it as usual.

how was the hike. did you need snowshoes....:lol:

SkiDork

oh yeah - the hike was average except for the last 100 yds or so on the black. I was gettin pretty nervous just having YakTrax and poles. Especially goin down. I think I need to get crampons.

4aprice

Good stuff Ski Dork. Isn't it nerve racking watching your offspring compete? My own son races J-3 (SL and GS) level and I think I'm more nervous every race then he is.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SkiDork

Yes - when he's in the gate I'm all butterfiles inside, mainly hoping he doesn't fall. I think videoing helps ease that just a bit, since I'm looking at the run through the tiny viewscreen on the vid cam instead of live.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You have a very talented little ripper there! He should come down and give the AZ CT Bumpers some tips on tricks for the kickers. ;) Seriously, nice skiing there!!

MogulQueen

Sweet! What a thrill watching your kid do some amazing stuff. Kudos to you for giving him the opportunities to participate. I can appreciate the efforts parents make for their children. I'm sure, in time, he too will thank you!

Warp Daddy

Dork -- u gotta be a proud poppa !!!!!!!!!!!!!! great skiing . I know how u feel doing the vid and butterflies etc used to get that wheneve i taped my sons track races in both hs and University level . It s way tuffer with nerves watching your kids compete than when we competed as athletes :D:D

WakeboardMom

Dork -- u gotta be a proud poppa !!!!!!!!!!!!!! great skiing . I know how u feel doing the vid and butterflies etc used to get that wheneve i taped my sons track races in both hs and University level . It s way tuffer with nerves watching your kids compete than when we competed as athletes :D:D

When my son was a pole vaulter, I'd often close my eyes just as the pole hit the deck and I'd totally miss seeing the vault!

Thanks for sharing the videos, Dork. I got a big kick out of seeing Iceman. He's awesome!! Amazing!

2knees

great vids dork. your son is really looking good.

cant believe even the kids are doing backflips in competitions now. Its just crazy.

SkiDork

thanks for the props. He wants to qualify a back flip by next season. He needs to do 100 in the pool first, he's got about 30 logged so far. Then he needs to go to a qualifying sessions, they actually had one at Waterville on Saturday. The coaches watch them do like 5 and then decide if they'll sign off on letting them do it in comps.

The kid he lost to in the 2nd round is either 15 or 16

SkiDork

Update: After wrestling he's now running track, 800 and 1500 (concentrating more on 1500). This was his 1st meet and he got a 5:57 in the 1500 (he was looking to break 6 mins). Now his goal is to break 5:50

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Nice job ICEMAN !!! Keep up the great work son ,set your goals and stay focused and you'll do well . Track is a great sport you compete with yourself each time .

Dork: that brought back great memories my sons first varsity meet he ran the same events as a freshmanand ran 5:01 and 2:18 respectively and a :57 in the 400

By the time HS was over he had made All State Meets 3 seasons and was ALL Northern first team in both winter and spring track in all 3 events and ended at 3;59, 1: 56 and 50 flat in the 1500/800/ 400 combo. He then went on to UB where he was selected ALL EAST for 3 seasons . He was also recruited by UCONN and RHODY. Since he is a Pharmacist we looked at only schools with highly rated programs .

Point being track is a great sport , usually has super nice kids involved and CAN provide for some scholarship opportunity .

Good luck with your running Iceman and we'll look forward to seeing you progress.

SkiDork

wow - those are some serious times there. I'll have to show this to him for inspiration. Thanks

Warp Daddy

wow - those are some serious times there. I'll have to show this to him for inspiration. Thanks

Yeah show it to him for sure , because he probably has the DRIVE to excel and has perhaps not really explored his potential as a serious track athlete . Keep encouraging him

I knew NOTHING about track when my boy first went in it . He was disappointed because altho he was a very fine wide receiver and did well on the freshman team he was too damn light and the coaches were concerned about injury at Varsity level. He was about 5'11 but only 130 lbs at the time so he went out for track strictly for conditioning for skiing and had zero clue .

Well after that first meet he coaches went nuts and came up to me and told me that the kid would be running really strong times by jr yr if he continued to work at it . So he did -- it "pumped up his sneakers" and frankly his mom and i traveled all over the state in HS and in college all over the country watching him compete in NCAA's and ECAC's

We met some really great people and one highlite i remember at the Miamai Relays was his running against EMMETT SMITH the former Cowboy running back who ran one leg of the Distance Medley Relay. Boy i miss that experience so DAD enjoy the ride !!